Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:53 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times

Advertisements

Pineapple Cornbread

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 - 1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, lightly drained

Preheat the oven to 425º. Generously oil a 9 inch baking dish. Set the pan in the oven to warm for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, sift the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add the egg, sugar, vegetable oil and milk. Beat vigorously for 30 seconds. Stir in the crushed pineapple and mix well.
Carefully remove the pan from the oven. Pour the batter into the pan and shake the pan to level the batter. Set the pan on the lower shelf in the hot oven. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden and puffed and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove the pan from the oven. Let the bread rest for a few moments in a warm place. Then, cut into wedges and serve warm.
Variation:
Add 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg or mace to the batter.

PUMPKIN CORNBREAD

1 c. flour
3/4 c. yellow cornmeal
1 t. baking powder 1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
2 eggs, whisked
1 c. canned unsweetened pumpkin
1/2 c. dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. oil
1 c. chopped pecans

In a large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl, mix eggs, pumpkin, sugar, and oil. Pour into the center of the flour bowl; mix until just blended. Fold in pecans. Pour into muffin cups. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 03:28 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,618,555 times
Persimmon Bread

First pick some persimmons. This is done when they are ripe, in the middle of November or later. The skin will look a little wrinkled and they will have a nice orange color. Don't bite a green persimmon! The skins come off fairly easy, and I mash the pulp through a collender to separate the pulp from the seeds. Persimmons can be found along country roads or maybe in your yard.

Ingredients
1 cup persimmon pulp
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, (optional)
Method
Sift together the dry ingredients. Mix together the persimmon pulp, milk, eggs, and sugar. Add the flour mixture and the margarine. Mix until well-blended. Stir in chopped nuts. Pour batter into a well-greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Yum, Peggy. I want to make that.

This came out of an Oklahoma newspaper and was a winner. No name was given as to whom the winner was, but I am learning that corn syrup is more fattening than other sugars and is bad for you as is all frutose sugars, so i want to try this.

OKLAHOMA PECAN PIE (syrup free)

2 8-inch pie crusts
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1 stick butter
2 t. flour
3 eggs, whisked
3/4 cup milk
1 c. sugar
2 c. pecans, chopped

Melt butter; pour into a mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour into pieshell (s). Bake at 305 degrees for 35-45 minutes.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:46 PM

Just a few more weeks and we should have a fresh pecan crop. I want to make some pecan pie this year.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 PM

75 posts, read 285,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Yum, Peggy. I want to make that.

This came out of an Oklahoma newspaper and was a winner. No name was given as to whom the winner was, but I am learning that corn syrup is more fattening than other sugars and is bad for you as is all frutose sugars, so i want to try this.

OKLAHOMA PECAN PIE (syrup free)

2 8-inch pie crusts
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1 stick butter
2 t. flour
3 eggs, whisked
3/4 cup milk
1 c. sugar
2 c. pecans, chopped

Melt butter; pour into a mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour into pieshell (s). Bake at 305 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
That sounds yummy! Wonder how it'd do with Splenda?

Grew up in Oklahoma and I remember eating Chicken N' Dumplings, cornbread dressing (no, we didn't call it stuffing!), pinto beans, fried taters, fried squash, fried okra, fried pork chops, fried green tomatoes...hmm, starting to see a pattern here... I NEVER had Grits until I was an adult and moved to the Florida panhandle. They're pretty big here in South Carolina too.

As for recipes...Mom and Grandmother never had any! Other than the ones they clipped from the paper and stored away never to see the light of day again. (never understood why they did that!) If you wanted to know how to make something, you'd have to help make supper! Which was fine cause yummmmm yum, then you got to eat it!
I keep saying I'm going to try and write down recipes for the younger folk in our family now...but I've yet to do it.
Guess they just better come help with supper if they wanna learn!

Old 10-03-2007, 01:14 PM

Right rugratef! I still can't make decent fried taters cause my mom never cooked that way. That's why my husband makes them, when on rare occasions we have fried food. They worked harder in those days so they could afford to eat everything fried. Fried green tomatoes, I love those. But, you can put a little olive oil on them and put them on the grill for less fat. Almost as good, but not quite.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:49 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,827,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugratref View Post
As for recipes...Mom and Grandmother never had any! Other than the ones they clipped from the paper and stored away never to see the light of day again. (never understood why they did that!) If you wanted to know how to make something, you'd have to help make supper!
Reading that was like looking in the mirror... My Daughter-in-Law once asked me to mail her "my recipe" for biscuit gravy... I told her she would have to come stand at my elbow and learn the same way I did from my Mom!

peggydavis, The only REAL good secret I have to making good fried taters is using a big OLD cast-iron skillet! Never seemed to matter much what kind of shortening/grease or oil I used as long as they were cooked in that pan.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 PM

everything is better fried, even apples and bananas. i try not to eat fried foods every often anymore as they put on too much weight. And it was supposed to be when I get old I will eat whatever I wanted.

there must be a web site that tells you how to cook with splenda, hot to change recipes.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:53 AM

5 posts, read 16,296 times
Here you go, Splenda recipes on the Splenda website - Splenda (http://splenda.allrecipes.com/Default.aspx - broken link)

Splenda is good stuff - no saccharin like in Sweet n Low and no aspartame like in Nutrasweet.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 AM

22 posts, read 140,178 times
You guys really grow peans there?
This move is going to work out so well...I can feel it in my stomach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma