Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 08:12 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times

Advertisements

Jammie,

great that you took the trip. i imagine that Tulsa would be too large of a city for you, but you got to see it.

why did you like Grove? what did you think of Salisaw?

We will be moving to Tahlequah in two or three weeks. maybe the leaves will still be turning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 10:20 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Jessaka, the way it looked this past week, you should be able to see the beautiful colors on the trees when you get there. They did have a lot of beautiful reds in the trees, but the rest were definitely green yet.

I'm so glad that you loved Talequah. That is a town that we missed, but will definitely go there on our next trip. Since we've never lived anywhere but So. Dak, we plan on visiting OK a couple times yet before moving. We still have a bit over a year to go until we can move anyway.

Salisaw is fine, but it was just average. One of the things that my husband liked about Grove was the 1300 MILES of shoreline they have around Grand Lake. I think that's where they have the pelican festival, too. We loved seeing all the seagulls and lake birds around there. The town appears to have some cute shops even though we didn't go in any and we're really not shoppers. The town is considered small by most standards, but is the perfect size for us. We went to Lendonwood to see the flowers and they were really nice considering it's mid Oct. The town is neat and clean. We have just sent for tourism info about Grove because it appears they have a boat that will take you on a tour of the lake. We had heard that real estate is beginning to climb there so we got a real estate book. There are many homes that are expensive, but they have 4 bedrooms and 3 baths, and are VERY nice. We found a condo that was so cute and went to drive past it. It ended up being in a cove in a gated community so all we could do is peak in. It was a fancy wrought-iron gate and we saw little waterfalls and a little man-made stream in there plus a community pool. The cost was actually less then most places are up here. Unfortunately, it's at the wrong end of the lake from where we are checking into employment.

We talked to the gent who owns the motel we were staying at and he said there are plenty of employment opportunities there that are full time and offer health benefits. (That's such a biggie in this day and age) He said the population was about 7,000 now, but that during the summer the population is anywhere from 200,000 to 300,000 daily. We enjoyed watching the beautiful, fancy boats that were on the lake.

The only drawback that I can see at this point is the humidity of being near such a large body of water. That type of humidity may have an adverse effect on my aches and pains. The people were friendly and down to earth. It's just a really nice place and I hope that once you get settled, you'll take a trip over there and post what you think of the area.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:25 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Humidity is the one thing I don't like about NE Oklahoma. Much better the farther west you go. Jessaka, with your luck, the leaves will be all off the trees by the time you come. Especially with a couple of frosts this weekend. But there will still be some color, by no means will the trees be bare. Just past peak probably.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 30,223 times
Just popping in with an update...

On Saturday I went down to Broken Bow Oklahoma in the far SE corner of the state, and traveled upward through the Talamena drive and nearly to the Missouri border along the Oklahoma/Arkansas border. There are several places with maybe 20% color or so, and some places with very little color. So overall, about 1-2 weeks ahead of the color as someone else pointed out. With some of the cold mornings here in the last day or two, they may change fairly quickly.

I did take a couple pictures on Saturday. The shot below is from the Poteau area and gives you an idea of what the color is. It's about the same all the places I went. At least the clouds were rolling in towards the evening, giving some nice unpredictable lighting for a half ways decent shot.

Saturday, 10/21/06

-Kelly

Old 10-22-2006, 09:17 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
kelly, love the photo. looks like next year i will see same. reminds me of the photos i took of the smokie mountains.

jammie, you will find tahlequah much cheaper, and while they don't have a pelican festival there are lakes like Tenkiller. i wonder how the tourist population is in tahlequah in the summer? probably nothing like Grove, or i hope not.

i imagine i will complain about the humidity. and then the cold winter. but here in CA i complain about having no weather. so i will always complain about something.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:26 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
i imagine i will complain about the humidity. and then the cold winter. but here in CA i complain about having no weather. so i will always complain about something. UNQUOTE

Jessaka, yup, I guess you're like the rest of us. It's probably human nature.

Kelly, the pic is very nice. We were down in Poteau, too. It's a nice town, but doesn't appear to have much in the way of employment.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:23 PM

6 posts, read 25,052 times
Default Fall Colors

We were in Beaver's Bend and also the Hot Springs and Murfreesboro area this weekend. The colors in Arkansas are much more vivid with lots of gorgeous reds. Oklahoma's colors are not quite peak yet. I'd give it another week or maybe even 2. But they're still pretty now if you can't wait.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:02 AM

21 posts, read 46,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edvl View Post
Does anyone know where to get reliable info about fall foliage in OK? The info on TravelOK.com:* Fall Foliage is outdated.
Or could you describe the area around you? I am near OKC, any area within a 2 hours drive.
Thanks
Info on TravelOK.com: Fall Foliage was updated on Oct 23. Perhaps they'll update again Thur. There are usually some great colors around Redbud Marina on Oologah Lake.

Does anyone know of good places for fall colors on Keystone Lake? I'm thinking of a lake cruise.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:23 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyD View Post
Just popping in with an update...

I did take a couple pictures on Saturday. The shot below is from the Poteau area and gives you an idea of what the color is.
-Kelly
That is a beautiful pic, KellyD. Thanks for posting. Got any more?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:28 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Can we please lock and or delete threads after a year...let alone 2 without a post. Something tells me the original posters aren't following it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma