Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 AM

5 posts, read 15,361 times

Advertisements

I am going to be working for a company out of Tulsa that sells roofs after hail storms etc. I do this now in Nebraska, and I'm relocating further south because of easier winters and my wife has horses etc....even more things down there than up here for her.

Right now we are looking at property that has a Wagoner address but is near Ft Gibson Lake and almost just as close to Muskogee. Obviously Muskogee has all the shopping opportunities, but as I read some outside sources it has lots of good things to say. Good shopping, rising property values, some growth but not booming (booms eventually bust) a diverse economy etc. On this forum I hear about high crime rates...although I don't see statistics so I don't know if that is perception or reality. The other concern that I have is that the test scores at the schools in general are fairly poor according to the states school report cards. Is this the result of more minorities and generally a poorer area, or a result of poor schools and teaching? M daughter is going into 5th grade.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 12:23 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Bear in mind that Oklahoma schools are denied much support from the state. That is reflected in how state funding for schools is still below the high level achieved around 2008. So schools have to get much of their support at the local level by getting voters to fund bond issues. If voters always approve of bond issues to advance the schools in a given locality, I think you can judge they got decent schools in that locality.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:40 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,647 times
ST's post is true for other Western states but not OK. In OK, the state pays the teachers and the bonds pay for the school and facilities. Thus, in high bond areas like Tulsa and OKC, you have really nice facilities but crappy education with underpaid and demotivated teachers in the average school, particularly rural ones. I would recommend looking at the compentency scores in the Tulsa World or Oklahoman to judge the level of education. Between those two papers, the state should be covered.

Tulsa does have incentive and performance pay but I do not know how large this program is and how much more teachers can earn based on performance. I realize that there is a lot of "teaching to the test" with this but some area local schools still make "Best of" lists in spite of this set up.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:16 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,312 times
Your family will probably find themselves going to Broken Arrow and Tulsa more often to shop than Muskogee even though Muskogee is much closer. My folks live near Checotah and drive through Muskogee to go shopping in tulsa. They rarely shop in Muskogee unless they just need to get some a Lowe's.

I'm just going to be brutally honest and say Muskogee is probably one of the most run down and tired cities in Oklahoma. While other cities in NE Oklahoma have seen growth Muskogee is losing population. Big sections of Muskogee have neighborhoods that are rundown and look as if there is no hope of them ever coming back to life.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:11 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
I would suggest a real big hailstorm hit Muskogee. The insurance claims would hopefully get people to fix up their homes and businesses. Hail worked wonders in 2009 to make Stillwater look less runned down.

Until the 1950s, Muskogee was the 3rd largest city in Oklahoma. It pretty much went stagnant after that.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:28 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
It seems as though that Ft Gibson has basically become the "elite" suburb of Muskogee. I've heard Wagoner isn't bad but it is one of the few places in Oklahoma that I've never been.

Whatever, that area of Oklahoma is accessible to most of the really wonderful outdoor stuff in the state and our winters are so much milder than Nebraska that you can be outside most of the winter. I think you would enjoy that area.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Your family will probably find themselves going to Broken Arrow and Tulsa more often to shop than Muskogee even though Muskogee is much closer. My folks live near Checotah and drive through Muskogee to go shopping in tulsa. They rarely shop in Muskogee unless they just need to get some a Lowe's.

I'm just going to be brutally honest and say Muskogee is probably one of the most run down and tired cities in Oklahoma. While other cities in NE Oklahoma have seen growth Muskogee is losing population. Big sections of Muskogee have neighborhoods that are rundown and look as if there is no hope of them ever coming back to life.
I rarely travel to Tulsa or BA for anything. It would be unusual not to find whatever is needed in Muskogee. Imo, 100% of what okie1962 has posted about Muskogee is false and is almost identical to posts he/she has made in the past about Muskogee. I have no idea what drives her resentment about Muskogee, but, something does.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:49 AM

641 posts, read 1,073,481 times
I like the town of Wagoner, and I like the landscape / outdoors in that area. It is probably the best part of the state for the outdoors. And the land is nice around Wagoner. Don't know about the schools around there though.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:05 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I rarely travel to Tulsa or BA for anything. It would be unusual not to find whatever is needed in Muskogee. Imo, 100% of what okie1962 has posted about Muskogee is false and is almost identical to posts he/she has made in the past about Muskogee. I have no idea what drives her resentment about Muskogee, but, something does.
Well, I have lived in and around Muskogee most of my life. It would seem you must not get out of Muskogee very often if you are not able to see the problems in that city. Maybe you think most cities in Oklahoma are falling in and around themselves like Muskogee. So I will throw this out there, can you name any other Oklahoma city over 30k, that is as run down as Muskogee?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:42 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,589 times
Muskogee has a few nice areas but for the most part is pretty bad. Gangs, bad schools, mostly poor, lots of run down areas.

Wagoner is a pretty nice small town. Ft Gibson is an even smaller and even nicer small town. Lots of good stuff around the lake. Commuting from this area to Tulsa would be kinda rough but not undoable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma