Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 05:29 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm still miffed at A&M for leaving its rightful conference, the Big XII...........
you mean the Big 8, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 02:09 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
you mean the Big 8, right?
Post-Big 8.

The Big XII was a merger between the Big 8 and the Southwest Conference. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State naturally fit more with the Texas schools culturally and geographically and formed the Big XII South.

The Big XII North was made up of the Kansas schools, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa State, and Colorado.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:00 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,258 times
They never quite seemed to get the balance right as far as the divisions, right now it actually seems more competitive with their current system--of course a lot of that is because the "mid-level" teams have improved so much. I know eventually they'll have to go back to divisions and a championship game, but I'm hoping they give the divisions an overhaul before they do.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
They never quite seemed to get the balance right as far as the divisions, right now it actually seems more competitive with their current system--of course a lot of that is because the "mid-level" teams have improved so much. I know eventually they'll have to go back to divisions and a championship game, but I'm hoping they give the divisions an overhaul before they do.
Yes. I can't stand the current system. We're the only conference now that doesn't have a conference championship. If the Big XII administrators don't think that's going to hurt them when the BCS is over they're smokin' crack. Bottom Line: We've had very poor leadership in the Big XII which resulted in many of the defections.

When the Big XII was formed OU was down and Nebraska was at the top of the conference. After Nebraska fired Solich (stupid, stupid, move he's better than Callahan/Pellini put together) the Huskers started to fall off a bit and the conference became more and more South-division centric.

I hope when we do add a couple of worthy teams we'll have an East/West configuration. The North/South thing was a little too much "us" and "them" if you know what I mean, although I loved the brand of football played in the Big XII South.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I just see so many people whose entire wardrobe seems to revolve around the Sooners or Cowboys, they have vehicles in school colors plastered with stickers, flags on their cars and trucks and houses, lawn decorations and banners on their homes boosting their team...it's just odd to me, the obsession...
I never could understand the obsession with NASCAR. Okay, drive in an elliptical circle for 500 miles and see how fast you can change the tires. Ooooooh, how exciting! To each his own.

I remember what a big deal friday nights were growing up. We lived in a small town of 1100 people. My family went to every home game when my brother played, and later in life, I went to every home game while attending Kansas State. It's a LOT more fun attending the games than watching on TV.

Also, my father was a coach and even my Mom played basketball in her younger years. I came from a very sports oriented family, so football was just one small part of that. I grew up as a child attending softball games, men and women's basketball leagues, bowling leagues, etc etc. Heck, my parents had 100s of trophies from throwing horse shoes to 3 different kinds of softball.

Most of the people in my tribe played sports their whole life and they enjoy watching OU football. OU football is a tradition for many folks. Of course, I am the misfit who hates OU (not really, just the coach) and cheers for Texas (and every other team) when they play OU.

Exception: the bowl season. I always root for the Big XII.

I always thought Nebraska fans were more rabid than OU fans. And I never liked their head coach. What a jerk!

Old 09-26-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I never could understand the obsession with NASCAR. Okay, drive in an elliptical circle for 500 miles and see how fast you can change the tires. Ooooooh, how exciting! To each his own.

I remember what a big deal friday nights were growing up. We lived in a small town of 1100 people. My family went to every home game when my brother played, and later in life, I went to every home game while attending Kansas State. It's a LOT more fun attending the games than watching on TV.

Also, my father was a coach and even my Mom played basketball in her younger years. I came from a very sports oriented family, so football was just one small part of that. I grew up as a child attending softball games, men and women's basketball leagues, bowling leagues, etc etc. Heck, my parents had 100s of trophies from throwing horse shoes to 3 different kinds of softball.

Most of the people in my tribe played sports their whole life and they enjoy watching OU football. OU football is a tradition for many folks. Of course, I am the misfit who hates OU (not really, just the coach) and cheers for Texas (and every other team) when they play OU.

Exception: the bowl season. I always root for the Big XII.

I always thought Nebraska fans were more rabid than OU fans. And I never liked their head coach. What a jerk!
Misfit....that is an excellent way of describing yourself, RB! (I'm the resident Redneck so I'm far below "misfit" status.)

We're all still holding out hope you see the light, burn the burnt orange, and start seeing the college football world through Crimson&Cream colored glasses.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:11 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
You hang in there RB.........keep up the "anyone but Oklahoma" attitude. We need someone on here we can laugh at........

You are you, Don Quixote,
The Lord of la Losers
Your destiny calls and down you go,
And the wild winds of fortune
Will carry you downward,
Oh whatsoever the score!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpasture View Post
you hang in there rb.........keep up the "anyone but oklahoma" attitude. we need someone on here we can laugh at........

you are you, don quixote,
the lord of la losers
your destiny calls and down you go,
and the wild winds of fortune
will carry you downward,
oh whatsoever the score!
Ha! :-)

Old 09-28-2013, 09:19 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Yeah, to each his own is right. I like racing and fast cars and all, but NASCAR doesn't do much for me.

It's kind of like baseball with me: not a sport I follow or have much interest in watching, but I AM pretty fascinated by the history of both those sports.

Quote:
Yeah, I also have fond memories of small town football games in middle school years. And when I was in college, I often went to the school's women's and men's basketball home games. A lot of fun. Basketball is likely my favorite to watch, and I agree 100% it is an entirely different experience watching any sport live rather than televised.

Quote:
See, I think this is cool. My family wasn't geared so much towards sports. I did a good deal of hunting and fishing and camping with my dad, uncle, grandpa, etc. when I was younger and even played school hockey and was a wrestler back before high school.

Used to watch college ball and a lot of boxing on TV with my dad growing up too.

I honestly do think it's great that people have fun with sports and get exicted by them and enjoy family time at games or watching them on the tube.

It's just never been than much of a big deal for me. Mine was kind of a creative, musical, book-read type of family. I'm not saying one is preferable to the other at all. It's just the way I grew up. Dad was a college professor.

Quote:
Most of the people in my tribe played sports their whole life and they enjoy watching OU football.
Again, I sincerely think that's cool. I did play a lot of neighborhood backyard football and driveway basketball, and I've always liked things like bowling, archery, shooting pool, frisbee, etc. But organized team sports I guess never got its hooks in me really.

Quote:
OU football is a tradition for many folks.
Yes, and it has long been a source of pride in this state. After the Dust Bowl and Great Depression, the state was really teetering and "Okies" had a real bad reputation as ignorant people stuck in generational poverty of the worst kind. When the state began to recover, and some who emigrated out began to return, citizens of the state needed something to rally around.

Due to many circumstances, and resulting from the efforts of many people, Oklahoma began to erect a College Football Empire. It's a great story, really. I realize the team had existed decades before this, but it was during this period things began to expand, for OU as well as OSU.

Really, the only thing I don't get is how people are so invested in a team from a certain school or certain city or region when the greater percentage of players aren't even from there, won't be there long most likely, could be traded out, and aren't really invested in that particular community.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yeah, to each his own is right. I like racing and fast cars and all, but NASCAR doesn't do much for me.

It's kind of like baseball with me: not a sport I follow or have much interest in watching, but I AM pretty fascinated by the history of both those sports.

Yeah, I also have fond memories of small town football games in middle school years. And when I was in college, I often went to the school's women's and men's basketball home games. A lot of fun. Basketball is likely my favorite to watch, and I agree 100% it is an entirely different experience watching any sport live rather than televised.

See, I think this is cool. My family wasn't geared so much towards sports. I did a good deal of hunting and fishing and camping with my dad, uncle, grandpa, etc. when I was younger and even played school hockey and was a wrestler back before high school.

Used to watch college ball and a lot of boxing on TV with my dad growing up too.

I honestly do think it's great that people have fun with sports and get exicted by them and enjoy family time at games or watching them on the tube.

It's just never been than much of a big deal for me. Mine was kind of a creative, musical, book-read type of family. I'm not saying one is preferable to the other at all. It's just the way I grew up. Dad was a college professor.

Again, I sincerely think that's cool. I did play a lot of neighborhood backyard football and driveway basketball, and I've always liked things like bowling, archery, shooting pool, frisbee, etc. But organized team sports I guess never got its hooks in me really.

Yes, and it has long been a source of pride in this state. After the Dust Bowl and Great Depression, the state was really teetering and "Okies" had a real bad reputation as ignorant people stuck in generational poverty of the worst kind. When the state began to recover, and some who emigrated out began to return, citizens of the state needed something to rally around.

Due to many circumstances, and resulting from the efforts of many people, Oklahoma began to erect a College Football Empire. It's a great story, really. I realize the team had existed decades before this, but it was during this period things began to expand, for OU as well as OSU.

Really, the only thing I don't get is how people are so invested in a team from a certain school or certain city or region when the greater percentage of players aren't even from there, won't be there long most likely, could be traded out, and aren't really invested in that particular community.
As long as they're within our state-borders (the best side(s) of the states surrounding us) then they're honorary Okies. When they put on that Crimson&Cream they're representing our state. That's why Okies take it so personally and passionately. I know a lot is made of Oklahoma getting Tejas kids.....it's one of the most populated and talent-rich centers in the entire U.S. (along with Cali and Florida = which Oklahoma also recruits well)! It would be downright ignorant not to go and get players on your back doorstep that want to come to a tradition-laden program like the Sooners possess.

If a kid comes here to play football I'm just assuming he's wise given the unmatched success of the Sooners in the modern era and desires to continue on the great tradition/history, which also helps kids get drafted by the way (makes 'em money). The Sooners have placed countless young men in the NFL and have a tremendous track record of developing talent. If a Texas kid (or from any other state) wants to come here and win championships and be in the hunt most years rather than go to the University of Texas and underachieve as usual, we shouldn't give the kid a hard time. He's wise to come to one of the most tradition-rich programs in the nation and OU benefits from getting a shot at more top-flight recruits.

Once they leave they're still considered part of fold, assuming that they don't go off and badmouth Oklahoma or the Sooner program, which I have not heard/seen occurring that often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma