Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times

Advertisements

According to this story, the Republicans swept Cherokee County last November.

Approximately 1/3 of the county is Cherokee Indian. Do these voters tend to vote GOP? How would you classify the Cherokee Nation politically?

I realize that the Cherokee Nation's politics probably don't line up perfectly with American political categories. Still, on the specific issues - economy, role of government, life and family issues, etc. - like any voting bloc it will lean one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 01:43 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times
Wrong Cherokee County. I checked and all three county commissioners are Democrats.

This is not true for all Natives, but most are going to vote Democratic. Like every other minority in this country, there is little trust of the Republican Party.

That Cherokee County would be part of the land that was stolen by President Andrew Jackson when he forced the Cherokee and other tribes on the death march known as The Trail of Tears. The word "Cherokee" is just a made up white man's word anyway. The real name is Tsalagi.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:20 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
I am very acquainted with a Cherokee family and they are NOT Obama supporters.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:35 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I am very acquainted with a Cherokee family and they are NOT Obama supporters.
And I know several Cherokee families who are Obama supporters.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:48 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Yer mama wears army boots. LOL

Old 11-05-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
This is not true for all Natives, but most are going to vote Democratic. Like every other minority in this country, there is little trust of the Republican Party.

Elections 2012: All Indians are Democrats? Not in Oklahoma.

"And Oklahoma should also dispel the idea that all American Indians are Democrats. Nearly nine percent of the state’s population identify as American Indians yet much of that Native population is as conservative as the rest of the neighborhood.

There are some 24 members of the Oklahoma legislature who identify as tribal citizens, the most, by far, of any state. Most are Republicans, and are represented as members of the party’s leadership (as are the Democrats). Two tribal members are running for Congress and both are conservative Republicans ..."

Old 11-05-2013, 04:02 PM

Nothing is monolithic. And if you want to get elected in most of Oklahoma, you have to be a Republican.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Nothing is monolithic. And if you want to get elected in most of Oklahoma, you have to be a Republican.
Then perhaps it was a bit misleading for you to say, "Like every other minority in this country, there is little trust of the Republican Party."

I would suppose that there is little trust of either party. Near as I can tell, voter registration in Cherokee County is overwhelmingly Democrat, but the county votes GOP in national elections. I'm just curious as to how closely the Cherokee Nation reflects the county as a whole.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:50 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Then perhaps it was a bit misleading for you to say, "Like every other minority in this country, there is little trust of the Republican Party."

I would suppose that there is little trust of either party. Near as I can tell, voter registration in Cherokee County is overwhelmingly Democrat, but the county votes GOP in national elections. I'm just curious as to how closely the Cherokee Nation reflects the county as a whole.
You seem to "know it all" so why can't you figure it out?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

Native Americans don't vote much, but the numbers I found for 2008 said that 69% of Native Americans that did vote, voted for Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma