Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:22 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times

Advertisements

Congratulate me-- I got offered a job in Purcell!

I have to apologize for repeatedly slamming OKC on this forum. I don't care for the metro overall, but much of that is due more to not liking living in ANY city and wanting something smaller.

Well, I work for the state and have been trying to transfer and finally landed a job in McClain County.

The commute from where I live in OKC to the office in Purcell is only slightly longer than the one I make now to Midwest City, and the drive to Midwest City involves wretched traffic and taking three interstates.

I am SO TIRED of the traffic, the ugliness (to my eyes) and just the crowdedness of OKC.

My whole family is happy and excited.

Our plan now is to procure a loan and get our first home. I'm in my 40s and have never owned a home before. I've never been in a place I believed I would want to stay for long enough, but we are thankful to be back in our home state and want to remain here near our families and with all the things we love about the state.

We are looking all around the Purcell area but are also considering Chickasha. I've lived in Chickasha before and enjoyed it. It is larger than Purcell, but you can get more house for the money there. I also think it will be easier for my wife to find a job in Chickasha.

I was wondering why home prices in Purcell seemed higher than those in Chickasha, and my wife suggested it is because Purcell is only 15 minutes from Norman. She's probably right.

At any rate, I really am jazzed about getting to relocate to a smaller town atmosphere that's not more or less a suburb of a large city. I am glad that after a lifetime of living like a wandering gypsy and never staying in one place more than 2 or 3 years we are going to have something permanent.

I may be on here now and then asking for advice and suggestions on the home buying process. I've researched a lot about it and have friends and family who've purchased many homes, but it is my first time getting my feet wet with a home.

Take care, ya'll. I feel 2014 is gonna be a great one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 07:22 AM

533 posts, read 1,710,687 times
Congratulations!

Old 01-09-2014, 12:55 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,492 times
I'm so happy for you and your family. Congratulations!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Congratulate me-- I got offered a job in Purcell!

I have to apologize for repeatedly slamming OKC on this forum. I don't care for the metro overall, but much of that is due more to not liking living in ANY city and wanting something smaller.

Well, I work for the state and have been trying to transfer and finally landed a job in McClain County.

The commute from where I live in OKC to the office in Purcell is only slightly longer than the one I make now to Midwest City, and the drive to Midwest City involves wretched traffic and taking three interstates.

I am SO TIRED of the traffic, the ugliness (to my eyes) and just the crowdedness of OKC.

My whole family is happy and excited.

Our plan now is to procure a loan and get our first home. I'm in my 40s and have never owned a home before. I've never been in a place I believed I would want to stay for long enough, but we are thankful to be back in our home state and want to remain here near our families and with all the things we love about the state.

We are looking all around the Purcell area but are also considering Chickasha. I've lived in Chickasha before and enjoyed it. It is larger than Purcell, but you can get more house for the money there. I also think it will be easier for my wife to find a job in Chickasha.

I was wondering why home prices in Purcell seemed higher than those in Chickasha, and my wife suggested it is because Purcell is only 15 minutes from Norman. She's probably right.

At any rate, I really am jazzed about getting to relocate to a smaller town atmosphere that's not more or less a suburb of a large city. I am glad that after a lifetime of living like a wandering gypsy and never staying in one place more than 2 or 3 years we are going to have something permanent.

I may be on here now and then asking for advice and suggestions on the home buying process. I've researched a lot about it and have friends and family who've purchased many homes, but it is my first time getting my feet wet with a home.

Take care, ya'll. I feel 2014 is gonna be a great one.

This is great news, Griffis! Very excited for you and yours.

I used to fish a few ponds right off of Ol' 77 there on the outskirts of Purcell. Great town!

Your Kiddos are going to be Purcell Dragons. Blessings.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:17 PM

69 posts, read 128,318 times
Congrats!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Seems to me that the money you would save by not commuting would make up for the difference in your mortgage. I've lived in both communities. I like both. Purcell/Lex is smaller and more comfortable. Chick has more amenities in town and the little college is excellent for what it is. Beautiful old stately homes in Chickasha. Best of luck.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:19 AM

9 posts, read 18,846 times
Congrats on the job!

Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Congrats! You might consider renting for a year and learn the town before you buy. You will not have any surprises when you do.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:37 PM

I wanna thank everyone for the kind, encouraging words.

Started the new gig today. I can already tell I am going to enjoy it. I know the work fairly well, everyone at the office seems very nice. It will be nice once I don't have to commute back and forth from OKC.

Still not sure where we'll concentrate the home search. Really no place within a 30 mile radius of Purcell is out of the running, nor are Purcell/Lexington themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Congrats! You might consider renting for a year and learn the town before you buy. You will not have any surprises when you do.
Excellent advice but I actually know both Chickasha and Purcell intimately. My lifelong best friend grew up in Lexington and our old band practiced at his place in Purcell for many years.

I lived in Chickasha from 5th to 8th grade, then returned from '86 to '91 for college, then lived there again later in the 90s for a time. We've taken several trips down there recently to scout houses and generally check out the town. My wife and kids really like it there. My wife's grandfolks lived there when she was little, so she's somewhat familiar with it.

I will keep ya'll posted and, if it is okay, I might very well be on here asking for some homebuying advice since it's our first time through the process.

Take care and have a good night everyone!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:00 PM

Even more (potential) good news. Don't want to jinx anything, but my wife has a good shot at a state job 15 minutes South down the road from my office in Garvin County. Pauls Valley specifically.

Don't know Pauls Valley really well. Been through there a few times on the way to Sulfur and Davis, and have spent a little bit of time in the town itself many years back. As I recall it has a pretty charming downtown.

So, if my better half lands that job (and I think she's got a real good chance) we may end up looking for a home in Pauls Valley as well, or possibly somewhere in between Purcell and there, like Maysville (although it may be a little TOO small for us!)

Please wish my wife luck. She lost her job (no fault of hers) back in October and we have really been struggling since then.

I feel really optimistic about things right now. Even if this job prospect doesn't pan out, things are moving in the right direction and we are so grateful and happy to be back home in the great state of Oklahoma!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma