Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:55 PM

19 posts, read 26,622 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I currently live in Indiana but we are looking for a fresh start. We are both in our late 20's and we both need warmer temps than what we get here haha. I visited Oklahoma in my teenage years and it made a lasting impression on me. I will be going to OSU after I establish residency. But my main question is about Stillwater. Is it big enough to get jobs there? Would it be possible to make things work with retail jobs there? I really don't want to move to OKC unless I have to. Especially if I'm at OSU and would make for a long daily commute either way for us. We have lived in a big city and it was alright. But we both prefer rural areas or smaller towns. Would Guthrie be a nice middle ground if we had to get jobs in OKC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Nothing definite, but new stores are thinking about opening in Stillwater. A new Academy Sports may be a done deal. Hopefully, Target will sooner or later be ready to start construction, so that new strip mall planned for the west side can finally get started. Stillwater also is hoping of ra new movie theater. Since you're in you're late 20s, that should help you get a position over a younger OSU student. The unemployment rate is around 4%, so that's not bad. More oil field workers are helping the economy.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 01-28-2014 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 07:47 PM

Townie, thanks for the response! What are some of the things you like/dislike about Stillwater?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt baseball View Post
What are some of the things you like/dislike about Stillwater?
kt,

I realize this question wasn't directed to me, but I hope you don't mind if I chime in.

First off, good luck on your imminent move, and welcome to Oklahoma. I just came back "home" to Oklahoma for good after years of moving all over the nation.

Anyway, from my perspective, the best thing Stillwater has going for it over OKC is that it is NOT OKC.

There are several specific things I could mention about Oklahoma City that cause me to dislike it (it's my least favorite place in a state I love...)

But primarily, my preference for Stillwater is that it is a much more compact town (I don't care for living in huge cities in general) because of Stillwater's size and location, it is easier to get around and it really has its own identity. I think a lot of the town has charm. The campus gives it a nice, youthful vibe with some decent night life, a good music scene, etc.

I know you didn't ask about this, but I also like Norman a great deal, though I expect it is more expensive (with regards to housing at least) and it is closer to OKC (too close for my liking) and has begun to sprawl quite a bit. Still a nice town though.

One other thing I like about Stillwater is that it IS easy enough to get to either the OKC or Tulsa metros if you need to (I've always preferred Tulsa to OKC in many ways.)

Take care and good luck again!

Old 01-29-2014, 01:41 PM

Thanks Griffis! I'm glad you chimed in. I'll take all the info/help I can get! So please, anyone drop some knowledge on me! Like I said I've visited the state but it was going on 10 or so years now. And I didn't get a chance to see Stillwater, we were around a small town called McLoud and OKC mostly.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:21 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
I echo sentiments of Griffis. For another good point, since becoming a Business Improvement District, downtown Stillwater has been opening new businesses and is doing much better than before against the strip malls and two Wal-Marts. Unlike other towns sadly neglecting its Main St., it's great Stillwater does not have a decaying downtown to contend with.

Stillwater is supposed to try out passenger jet service this year. Hopefully, it's a success and will attract more business and industry.

It's good Stillwater has its own identity and can always reflect upon itself, unlike a suburb where most people only live there without working there as well..

The parks are nice, like Boomer Lake Park, and the sidewalk that goes around it.

What I don't like is the traffic congestion on N. Perkins Rd. Stillwater lacks a number of big city attractions, but Tulsa and Oklahoma City aren't too far way, just an hour's drive. But's it's nice watching new businesses, big and small, come in. The opening of Best Buy several years ago was something else, so no longer have to go to OKC or Tulsa for that.

Here are the plans for a new strip mall Stillwater has been waiting on to get started since around 2008:
Country Club Crossing | Direct Development

Old 01-30-2014, 05:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
I agree with Griffis as well. I am not fond of Oklahoma City except perhaps for its selection of ethnic restaurants. Other than that I try to stay away from it. I will leave it at that.

Stillwater, while being a college town, is pleasant, there are several small towns around it within easy commute to OSU if you would like to live in the country. People are pleasant and the natural environment in the more eastern part of the state is more pleasant than that in the OKC area.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:02 AM

78 posts, read 121,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt baseball View Post
My fiancee and I currently live in Indiana but we are looking for a fresh start. We are both in our late 20's and we both need warmer temps than what we get here haha. I visited Oklahoma in my teenage years and it made a lasting impression on me. I will be going to OSU after I establish residency. But my main question is about Stillwater. Is it big enough to get jobs there? Would it be possible to make things work with retail jobs there? I really don't want to move to OKC unless I have to. Especially if I'm at OSU and would make for a long daily commute either way for us. We have lived in a big city and it was alright. But we both prefer rural areas or smaller towns. Would Guthrie be a nice middle ground if we had to get jobs in OKC?
I grew up in OKC and all of my family are still there. I went to school at OSU and after graduation moved back to OKC for about 2 months, and that is about all it took for me to head back to Stillwater. I took a job at the University and have been here for about 6 years now. I love it. I wouldn't be completely against living in OKC again some day, but I am extremely happy here in Stillwater, and defiantly prefer it.

If you have questions about anything in particular around town please ask away and I can give you an answer from my perspective.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,098 times
Stillwater is a lot more educated than OKC and has lower divorce rate. OKC is 24% graduation from college with 12.4% divorce rate. Stillwater is 50% college degree rate with 6% divorce rate.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:00 PM

First off, I want to thank those who have taken the time to post in the thread. It is greatly appreciated! For those just getting to the thread...please add your input about the area/state!

tkx7, thank you for those numbers. I plan on being a student and will be a newlywed by the time we make it into the state. My fiancee and I are so excited about starting our married life in Oklahoma!

Would anybody know about the high schools in the Stillwater area? Big or small? Do they value athletics as well as academics? I coach HS baseball/football here in Indiana and want to continue that time permitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma