Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:50 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,147,097 times

Advertisements

My best half and I are hoping to move to Okla some day soon. So, I would like to know if your state has any odd taxes laws, such as a PET TAX for owning a cat or dog? Now I have heard that being a retired disabled Vet (not a veterinarian) Okla has some good tax laws or deductions for folks like myself. What are the income, sales and property taxes like, especially on the eastern side of the state.
And are the vehicle registration cost off the charts like they are here in the worthless nut state (Ohio)?
I welcome any information on this matter, Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 06:07 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
My best half and I are hoping to move to Okla some day soon. So, I would like to know if your state has any odd taxes laws, such as a PET TAX for owning a cat or dog? Now I have heard that being a retired disabled Vet (not a veterinarian) Okla has some good tax laws or deductions for folks like myself. What are the income, sales and property taxes like, especially on the eastern side of the state.
And are the vehicle registration cost off the charts like they are here in the worthless nut state (Ohio)?
I welcome any information on this matter, Thanks.
Hey SeabeeBolt. I'm from New Jersey, but moving to OK in a couple of months. Our Oklahoma friends are fighting a terrible ice storm today and a lot of them have lost power, so you may not get info for a couple of days. However if you go back in the forum you will see posts about taxes. I know compared to New Jersey property taxes in OK are very low. If you go to the Oklahoma Tax Commission Website: www.tax.ok.gov you'll get a lot of info. I know there is an excise tax on newly purchased vehicles, but not on vehicles being registered from another state. Again, if you search the prior posts on the forum you'll see where that was answered before.

Good luck in your move. Everyone on here is very helpful, and as soon as eveyone's power is up they will surely answer all your questions.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:15 PM

Duh on me! I should have seen that comin, especially when everyone has been talking and writing about it. As the young kids say these days "My Bad". Thanks colleng47 . I'm having a brain fart today.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:37 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,355,911 times
You'd think I would know the tax laws being that I live here. They do give a cut for Veterns. When you are 65 and if you make under $39,000 you get a tax freeze. You can apply for a homestead and get lower taxes. Car licenses are cheaper, car insurance isn't. Property taxes are cheap, but that is compared to California. I guess I need to bail out until somone comes with better answers.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
You'd think I would know the tax laws being that I live here. They do give a cut for Veterns. When you are 65 and if you make under $39,000 you get a tax freeze. You can apply for a homestead and get lower taxes. Car licenses are cheaper, car insurance isn't. Property taxes are cheap, but that is compared to California. I guess I need to bail out until somone comes with better answers.
Thanks jessaka for your help. Some people just look and move on, but your always there to give a good reply. Thanks

Old 12-11-2007, 05:46 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,831,104 times
Hi SeaBee! Do I smell salt-water?? (NavyMom here )

I'm not aware of any Pet Taxes in Oklahoma but each county (and town) is different in regards to their licensing fees.

I do know that if you are a 100% Disabled Vet you can get a "Sales-Tax Exempt" card to carry and use. There may be other things as well... I'll have to dig a little.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:52 PM

LadyRobyn,

Howdy there. God Bless the Navy-Moms and Wives. Just a little salt-water . I am a retired SeaBee now, but when I was in I didn't see much of the salty brine, I was land locked.

thanks for the get-back.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
God Bless our service members of all branches of the armed forces. Me, I'm an Army guy, but they are all good, decent, salt of the earth folks that deserve our respect.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:00 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,831,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
LadyRobyn,

Howdy there. God Bless the Navy-Moms and Wives. Just a little salt-water . I am a retired SeaBee now, but when I was in I didn't see much of the salty brine, I was land locked.

thanks for the get-back.
Land-locked or no, yer still Navy. Our Boy started out as a Subby Sonar Tech but he's been stuck behind a desk for the last year because of health problems. He's done and out in 6 months, after a 5 year stint. whoo hoo!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
God Bless our service members of all branches of the armed forces. Me, I'm an Army guy, but they are all good, decent, salt of the earth folks that deserve our respect.
Yer right there Synopsis. Oh, and by the way, I did do about 7 years in the feild artillery. Ft. Sill Okla for three years, Hawaii Scholfeild Barracks for three years and Ft Bragg N.C. for a year. I be a former Cannon Cocker/Red Leg don't ya know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma