Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 PM

217 posts, read 313,394 times

Advertisements

Okla. house members walk out during same sex marriage vote - FOX23 News

Oklahoma, the only state that is 40 years behind everyone else and where sex with animals is legal, marrying your cousin is legal, but two gay people getting married is immoral. Go figure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,344,355 times
It is funny but didn't you State vote it down? I am from CA and moved here but I really haven't seen any sex with animals or marrying cousin stuff your talking about. Are you making something up as a game or is there something behind what you saying. If the walking out is the problem then you have a point but are you sure the OK constitution allows sex with animals? Where did you get that from?

Oh by the way hopefully we are 40 years behind your State's taxes.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
The politicians in the state legislature want to do everything they can to make sure anybody who isn't white, straight, Republican, and fundamental Baptist doesn't feel welcomed in Oklahoma. It's no wonder so many of Oklahoma's best and brightest young people are fleeing to DFW and Austin. Big league city? Not until it becomes a little more live and let live.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 AM

498 posts, read 1,606,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane4madonna View Post
Okla. house members walk out during same sex marriage vote - FOX23 News

Oklahoma, the only state that is 40 years behind everyone else and where sex with animals is legal, marrying your cousin is legal, but two gay people getting married is immoral. Go figure...
Where on earth did you get the idea that those two activities are legal in Oklahoma? They are not. Check your facts before you come on here attacking the state over the legislature's views on gay marriage.

Cousins and siblings marrying each other was a tradition condoned in southern states to keep land from falling under control of another family.

Oklahoma was Indian territory settled by immigrants and New England ex-pats during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. That puts Oklahoma under a completely different set of parameters and sets us apart from historically southern states. Do I need to explain this again?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
Where on earth did you get the idea that those two activities are legal in Oklahoma? They are not. Check your facts before you come on here attacking the state over the legislature's views on gay marriage.

Cousins and siblings marrying each other was a tradition condoned in southern states to keep land from falling under control of another family.

Oklahoma was Indian territory settled by immigrants and New England ex-pats during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. That puts Oklahoma under a completely different set of parameters and sets us apart from historically southern states. Do I need to explain this again?
No Okcpulse you done a great job............

Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 AM

498 posts, read 1,606,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The politicians in the state legislature want to do everything they can to make sure anybody who isn't white, straight, Republican, and fundamental Baptist doesn't feel welcomed in Oklahoma. It's no wonder so many of Oklahoma's best and brightest young people are fleeing to DFW and Austin. Big league city? Not until it becomes a little more live and let live.
And how is this Oklahoma City's fault? Many of the legislators that walked out are from rural districts, not Oklahoma City. You cannot be from Oklahoma City and represent McAlester. Not gonna happen. You're throwing Oklahoma City under the bus for the views of an entire state.

FWIW, there are people in other ethnicities that are just as opposed to gay marriage. Not being white doesn't automatically make one a supporter of gay marriage. It doesn't matter what your background is. Either you are for or against it based on your own personal convictions, not a demographic.

Oklahoma City is much more live and let live than you believe. Stop being consumed by the media.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Well, a lot of Oklahomans harbor a great of deep, heart felt hatred and resentment against gay people. If I was a house member, I probably would have voted in favor of the resolution, even though I was against it, because I was merely representing my constituents not myself. Would I have feared getting voted out when running for reelection from voting no? YES.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
And how is this Oklahoma City's fault? Many of the legislators that walked out are from rural districts, not Oklahoma City. You cannot be from Oklahoma City and represent McAlester. Not gonna happen. You're throwing Oklahoma City under the bus for the views of an entire state.

FWIW, there are people in other ethnicities that are just as opposed to gay marriage. Not being white doesn't automatically make one a supporter of gay marriage. It doesn't matter what your background is. Either you are for or against it based on your own personal convictions, not a demographic.

Oklahoma City is much more live and let live than you believe. Stop being consumed by the media.
>>>>>
FWIW, there are people in other ethnicities that are just as opposed to gay marriage.
<<<<<

^^^
This is correct. I'm Anglo/Native and my Native relatives and friends are adamantly opposed to it, although it is not something that is discussed too often unless it's on the news or something.

Moreover, my African American friends do not appreciate how the gay community has drawn a direct correlation between its own trials with that of slavery/oppression of African Americans and the civil rights struggle of the South. I think the gay community will have a very difficult time making any inroads into Black Churches, which hold tremendous sway over the views/culture of the African American community.

CAAP - Coalition of African American Pastors

Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, a lot of Oklahomans harbor a great of deep, heart felt hatred and resentment against gay people. If I was a house member, I probably would have voted in favor of the resolution, even though I was against it, because I was merely representing my constituents not myself. Would I have feared getting voted out when running for reelection from voting no? YES.
You are right. This resolution is non-legal anyways and its only intended to make a statement. This is what sets Oklahoma apart from the other red states. The legislature has to waste time making "statements" to make sure anybody who thinks differently than the ultra-conservative fundamentalist majority feels unwelcome. It's not just on gay issues either.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,344,355 times
Let me see. California with all its intelligence is bankrupt and OK lives in its means. Who is smarter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma