Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:32 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum Yum View Post
From what I've looked into on them, low carb diets aren't particularly a healthy route to go. Also, many healthy things to eat are in carbohydrate-based foods, such as fruits and grains. Balance and moderation is probably wise.
I wouldn't go real low carb, just cut way down on the unhealthier ones. When I was growing up, I think my mother only knew one way to cook, and that was to fry everything! Added to that was the fact that she cooked enough to feed a small army, so I ate home made biscuits and gravy and fried food every day. I've gotten away from that a lot. There are still some things that I have to have fried tho. Heck, she even made small FRIED chocolate pies. I've thought of these often, but have never attempted to make them. Man, they were good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 07:23 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times
One of my problems is that we eat out a lot. Since it just the two of us, it is cheaper and easier to just eat in the local restaurants. Not a very healthy menu here. Everything is fried. I will have to cook at home more.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:38 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
I have to admit to being definitely out of shape, but most of it is due to having taken care or my husband, who was bed-ridden for a year before he died. There just wasn't any way to leave him alone long enough to get any exercise, and no energy to do so, anyway.

For the most part, I am a semi-vegetarian. Not from any moral or ethical stand against eating meat as such, I just don't like the idea of all the chemicals and housing of the traditional meat animals. I think we are obligated to care for animals the best we can, no matter what their eventual purpose. I have no problem with eating venison, there always seems to be too many deer, and anyone who's ever seen winter-kills certainly couldn't believe it's 'kinder' to let the population continue to explode. On the other hand, killing to fill a freezer is one thing, trophy hunting is another entirely. I also like fish [fortunate, since I mostly lived on it for decades] and shellfish, but they were wild-caught, not pen raised.

As for daily exercise, for those of you who drive, if you park as far as possible from a store, you get a lot of extra walking every time you shop. And if you go grocery shopping after eating, you aren't as likely to be tempted by things you know aren't all that good for you. Or alternatively, you can make a list and stick to it. No additions, other than staples, if you remember you forgot to add milk or cheese or eggs to it in the first place.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:44 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
I'm sorry to hear about your husband karibear. It must have been very painful taking care of one you love over such a long time. Sacrifices like that I admire.

I've been eating really unhealthy over the past year and have gained some weight. Add to that I haven't done a lot of exercise so I am out of shape. That is about to change. 3 years ago I was in the best shape of my life, but over the last two years I have kinda let things go somewhat.

One food that is very good for you is cauliflower. I steam mine and have it with fish and other vegetables; it tastes much like a meat and is very healthy. If you eat like that for a few months you'll look and feel terrific, at least I did. I could run all day long when I was eating right with moderate exercise. I'm gonna feel that way again!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:25 PM

It was difficult, but not that much of a sacrifice, all things considered. No way could I have lived with myself if I'd put him in a hospice the way his doc wanted. This way he got to stay home where he was comfortable, with his own TV, his own phone, make plans for the future - since he never gave up hope that he'd recover - and he could smoke whenever he wanted.

But it's had a rather salutary effect on my diet now. Everything edible in the house is stuff I got that he liked, to tempt his appetite, and none of it is to my taste at all. And since there's so much of it, I refuse to waste money on buying anything other than milk and eggs and butter, so my diet has been drastically trimmed!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:06 PM

............adding cauliflower to my grocery list. I love it raw, but just never think of it.
Welcome Karibear. I am sorry to hear about your husband also. Do you live in Oklahoma?

Old 01-01-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
............adding cauliflower to my grocery list. I love it raw, but just never think of it.
Welcome Karibear. I am sorry to hear about your husband also. Do you live in Oklahoma?
Almost, but not quite. I'll be moving in a few months or so.

But part of my family, and part of DH's family, come from Oklahoma, so it will be sort of like coming home - I hope!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:09 PM

Default It will be karibear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Almost, but not quite. I'll be moving in a few months or so.

But part of my family, and part of DH's family, come from Oklahoma, so it will be sort of like coming home - I hope!
Welcome! What part will you be moving to, do you know yet?

Old 01-01-2008, 11:25 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,541 times
I made a resolution last year to not make any more new year's resolutions. Simply because they never last. This one did though, no resolutions made! yet...

Old 01-02-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Welcome! What part will you be moving to, do you know yet?
I will be about 10 miles from Loco, but I'm not quite sure yet in which direction. It's probably going to be my last big adventure, so I hope it's a good one. DH had an aunt who lived near the MO border and had quite a lot of land, and my father's family mostly lived near Norman after my grandfather retired from the Army. My cousin's mother's family came from around the area where I'm heading. She thinks it would be hilarious if I ended up on one of the old family land grants. Once I get there I'll have to do some research on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma