Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:41 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I soon will. Golden Chick will soon open in Stillwater. In addition to that, Raising Cane will soon open across the street from Chick-fil-a. Stillwater people just love the chicken places when they're not loving Wal-mart.
I forgot about the Grandy's in Bethany. I had work over there last week.

I just had to stop and eat some fried chicken in your honor, Townie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 07:33 AM

I went to the OU-Texas game and saw 1-2 Grandy's in North Texas. I fought the urge to stop as most at the Cotton Bowl would have frowned upon my unbuttoned pants.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:57 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
I wouldn't be worry so much about the obesity rate of 32% in Oklahoma vs. 25% in California. One out of four adults is still a hell of a lot. The US has an obesity problem period.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:17 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I wouldn't be worry so much about the obesity rate of 32% in Oklahoma vs. 25% in California. One out of four adults is still a hell of a lot. The US has an obesity problem period.
^^^This.

The problem isn't just Oklahoma or the state of(fill in the blank).

I've lived in multiple states in my life and while in some states obesity seemed more common than in others, it was a pretty common issue in all of them.

Oklahoma isn't even the "fattest" state. It's in the top 10 but it's not in the top 5:

https://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

Old 10-27-2017, 02:22 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
Deep South states all top Oklahoma. Lot of fried chicken and BBQ is eaten in the Deep South, people don't have healthy living habits as well like they don't exercise as much as the rest of the country and they smoke too much but I don't worry what others are doing, I think it is kinda sad thou.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:57 PM

200 posts, read 147,109 times
Does it make it hard to socialize if you don't eat stuff like fried chicken or BBQ? I'm not a vegetarian, but I do eat healthy (it was too much work to lose 50 lbs. for me to do it again).

Old 11-04-2017, 12:10 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Roads don't count if you have no vehicle. I do not know of any grocery store in this rural area that delivers. And neighbors are usually in the same position.

Don't get me wrong, I think many people could try a lot harder than they are. But things are not always that cut and dried.
People in those places with less convenience 50 years ago were not fat.

If you're fat, its 99% of the time due to you eating too much and exercising too little, and not caring at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
...but I don't worry what others are doing...
I worry a bit. Just got notified that my insurance premiums are going up, again.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:48 PM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma#Health

Any Okies care to explain? That's HUGE (no pun intended)!
I spend several months in Oklahoma during this summer and fall this year. I did witness a large amount of obese people especially in smaller towns. Wealthy people are not obese for the most part. Its the lower income lower educated ones that have the biggest problems. There are a lot of people who are clueless on eating healthy. Lots of fried foods, lots of buffet restaurants and exercise is just not something most people do. Also seemed like more people smoked cigarettes too. You would think the one positive about being a smoker would be less eating but I saw a lot of very obese smokers.

The one upside to this. I am a little overweight but felt better about myself with all the obese people around me. Its all relative.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:03 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

The one upside to this. I am a little overweight but felt better about myself with all the obese people around me. Its all relative.
Not with me. I fight to stay below 200lbs. When I go into a restaurant and see fat people all around, I go on a guilt trip, and say to myself, what the hell am I doing in here, if I don't want to look like these people?

It's all about the size of your appetite and willpower not to eat all you feel like all the time. To me, my appetite for breakfast tells me 4 slices of bacon is enough. But that much doesn't begin it for fat people. They pile the bacon on so much you can't see what's under it.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:18 PM

In their defense, bacon is extremely delicious though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma