Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2024, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,817 times

Advertisements

I am possibly relocating to elk city. Is there a safer area of town or is it all safe as another end of town? Are there any factories or warehouses for work? My husband is making a very good wage now in indiana. Trying to find something comparable. I work for a corporate restaurant chain, so will find work easy. Are there any towns close by that would be good to find work for my husband without a long drive and has a decent pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 11:01 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Elk City. NW part of town is the nicest area. North of Hospital and around the First Baptist Church. There are decent neighborhoods in other parts of town but that chunk of NW Elk City is the best overall.

Bar S (if it is open) is a big company. I know the Bar S in Clinton is going and it is about 30 minutes east. There are other smaller companies in those towns (Elk City, Clinton) and there are some jobs in Sayre which is about 10 miles west of Elk City. Other than that you are looking at Weatherford, OK which is about 45 minutes to the east.

Clinton has a dog food plant and a place that makes some sort of specialty car chassis. Elk City has some manufacturing plants. The oil field is the best jobs when they are up and running. Right now they aren't drilling that much in western Ok. But that doesn't mean they won't at some point.

Here is a list of companies in SW Oklahoma. Check out the places in Elk City and Clinton. Erick, Cheyenne and Weatherford are drivable from Elk City but are a bit further. Cordell and Bessie are as well. Anyplace else on that list is probably more than an hour away.

https://www.cameron.edu/business-res...majoremployers

Old 02-27-2024, 05:25 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I drove past Elk City last week when I was on the road from Tucson AZ to Ohio. Elk City is along I-40 and old route 66 roughly half-way between Amarillo TX and OKC. No surprise that there's a lot of highway off-ramp businesses like motels, restaurants, gas stations, c-stores etc. OP doesn't provide enough info about what kind of work hubby is qualified for or why they want to move to Elk City. Just curious.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:26 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
https://okjobmatch.com/ may be a good start.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:27 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I drove past Elk City last week when I was on the road from Tucson AZ to Ohio. Elk City is along I-40 and old route 66 roughly half-way between Amarillo TX and OKC. No surprise that there's a lot of highway off-ramp businesses like motels, restaurants, gas stations, c-stores etc. OP doesn't provide enough info about what kind of work hubby is qualified for or why they want to move to Elk City. Just curious.
This is true.

Nothing against Elk City because it is a nice enough town... but it IS kind of a random choice. That area of western Oklahoma (outside of Weatherford) doesn't grow unless the oil field is active. And when the boom is over a lot of people leave the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma