Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:51 PM

179 posts, read 199,541 times

Advertisements

I know in TX to the South there are a ton (Dallas, Houston, Austin), as well as Santa Fe to the West, Denver to the northwest - don't think there are any in Kansas or Arkansas or Missouri. Are there any in the state of OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
I know in TX to the South there are a ton (Dallas, Houston, Austin), as well as Santa Fe to the West, Denver to the northwest - don't think there are any in Kansas or Arkansas or Missouri. Are there any in the state of OK?
Well, our place is a gay friendly area
By and large, Okies are pretty much live and let live people. I do not recall any of my gay friends ever having a hard or unfriendly time around here.

Arkansas has the Springs ...... it is the Key West or Provincetown of the Ozarks. Of course the fundies are up in arms but the huge amounts of cash the gay community brings to town pretty much guarantees them to be allowed to stay

Old 08-13-2008, 04:34 PM

533 posts, read 1,710,878 times
Habana Inn the Southwests Largest Gay Resort (http://www.habanainn.com/hiokc.html - broken link)

Old 08-13-2008, 05:05 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
I grew up in MO, and have been all over the western half of the country, including Alaska, in the past 40+ years. I have quite a few friends who are both gay and lesbian and they have no trouble fitting in nicely wherever they live. Some of them I knew for years before I found out about their preferences more or less by accident, others were just a bit - a very discreet bit - more upfront about it. It's more a matter of character and personality - if one is trustworthy and low key, one gets along a lot better than the militant fringe who can at times not be trusted with other people's secrets, and I don't mean just their preferences regarding keeping their orientation quiet. Same thing with missionaries of any flavor. No one can be a low-key missionary, though I also have friends who are very devout in their beliefs.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
Habana Inn the Southwests Largest Gay Resort (http://www.habanainn.com/hiokc.html - broken link)
Cool .... thanks for sharing. I am going to send that over to my gay friends in AR/MO .....

Old 08-14-2008, 10:55 PM

18 posts, read 60,494 times
Who cares. Being gay is WRONG!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUFan22 View Post
OK ... if yuou feel that gay is wrong, don't indulge. Bless your heart.

Now shoo ..................

Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
We've been through this once before. If you want to bat this subject around, please check out the controversies forum. As Schousse said: shoo. . .

Old 08-15-2008, 11:09 AM

687 posts, read 2,350,236 times
Quote:
So is being bigoted/homophobic...

Old 08-15-2008, 11:38 AM

61 posts, read 261,028 times
Quote:
Welcome to Oklahoma

I think this type of attitude is fairly common here, unfortunately. I have experienced it many times, as I used to be quite a faghag and my boys would have a hard time now and then.

Of course, for a state that is still fairly conservative, seeing a man in women's jeans can be a bit shocking.

My personal opinion on sexuality aside, I do think you will run into some conflict here.

We have the Wreck Room, which is an all-ages gay club with nightly Drag Shows. All of the performers are fairly well known among the younger gay scene. I find the Wreck Room to be exhausting though. Full of pre-teens and teenagers. It all depends on your scene. We used to have a few 21+ clubs (Angles) but they are only open some of the time now. There are some other clubs in the area that a lot of gay people go to, but they aren't aimed specifically at any orientation. I can't for the life of me remember the names though, as I've never been.

There is a gay community here, but it is small and still confronting issues with homophobia and religious conflict. I do know that a lot of folks travel down to Dallas for the larger gay clubs and shows, if that tells you anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma