Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 04:44 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I did at first, but now we are moving away. Oklahoma is full of racism, and you have to keep your mouth shut about your religion or politics or be shunned. The people are very friendly until they learn that you are not like them. We were able to sell our house but lost money, and now we are going to a different State. I could go on and on but I won't. We hope to be moved by the 1st. if not before.
As long as you define racism as anyone that doesn't vote for Obama as you did on the political forum, I'm sure you'll find a lot of racism wherever you go. Interesting that all of this racism popped up right before the election. If you have been as vocal as most of the people I know who are Obama supporters and pointing the finger of racism at anyone who doesn't tow the Democrat political line, it's no surprise to me that you've encountered people who are put off by such an attitude. And this is coming from someone that can't stand "W" or McCain.

Good luck in your move.

Last edited by Synopsis; 10-09-2008 at 04:52 AM..

Old 10-09-2008, 07:16 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
I'm sorry to hear you're so unhappy in Oklahoma, Jessaka.

My daughter is brown skinned, and she hasn't had any trouble at the high school or her summer job at the community center. But I realize everyone's experiences are different. Hope you're happy in your new home. Stop by and let us know how you're doing.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:05 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
As long as you define racism as anyone that doesn't vote for Obama as you did on the political forum, I'm sure you'll find a lot of racism wherever you go. Interesting that all of this racism popped up right before the election. If you have been as vocal as most of the people I know who are Obama supporters and pointing the finger of racism at anyone who doesn't tow the Democrat political line, it's no surprise to me that you've encountered people who are put off by such an attitude. And this is coming from someone that can't stand "W" or McCain.

Good luck in your move.
I really didn't mean to define it as such. I know that there are people that have good reasons to not vote for Obama that are not racist. But here where I live, when they speak of Obama they really speak with racism in mind.

I have not been vocal at all here because I am afraid to speak up. I am one that just listens, but then I grew tired of it, so the next time I was listening to a group starting to put down Obama in a racist way, I said, "I like Obama," and then the group shunned me. Didn't want me with them, quit talking to me. When I left I said, "I had a nice time," and the person didn't say that they had a nice time, but said that we were not going out again. I have had this happen twice here, and I had hoped that these people would be my friends, but finding out what they really think of blacks rather changed that. So I really didn't say much. I have learned here to keep my mouth shut just as many democrats and non Christians say that they have learned to do. And it is hard sitting around listening to a group talk racism when you can't say a word. I have been a long time listener of all these. And so one day I just kindy said, "Well, I like Obama," and I saw the reaction and was shunned. Usually I find if I go to a community function people will just spout up with racism, and I stand there listening to it, and they are laughing and joking about these things, along with making fun of gays, and I say nothing. I am not used to having to listen to this type of conversation. When people here put down Obama it is racist. These people are not speaking out against him rationally. They compare him to black rappers, saying he grabed his crotch, to terrorists, to muslims, etc. It is very hateful what is being said about him, and I have never in public said anything against McCain. Not that I haven't on these boards. I have learned my "place" in Oklahoma, which is why we are moving. Only certain types of people can have freedom of speech without repercussions. I have also listened to certain religions as being evil and full of satan, such as the Unitarians, Unity, Buddhists, Hindu, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and New Age. I am sure there is a bigger list than that. They don't like people from out of State either. I learned to keep my mouth shut about that. I also know of a lot of people here that find the same problems. One said, "I just shun them back," when I asked how he managed to live here when they shun democrats.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-09-2008 at 08:18 AM..

Old 10-09-2008, 08:21 AM

687 posts, read 2,350,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post

I heard that in 2010, all of the toll ways in Dallas with be equipped with cameras with take a picture of your license plates and bill you in the mail as opposed to the TxTag or Oklahoma's infamous pike pass. That is innovative thinking for ya by Texas officials.

How so? Sending me a bill in the mail is more innovative? Leaves WAY too much room for error. The current system with tags having radio receivers in them works much better, IMO.

And Oklahoma's takes pictures as well; it just uses those to verify the charges. If you blow through a pike pass gate and it doesn't work, you'll get a nastygram from OTA asking you for the toll plus about $80.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Jessaka, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience here. As I mentioned before, it doesn't mirror our experience. We live in Mustang, which is right outside of Oklahoma City. I work in Oklahoma City, and DH works in Concho. We have attended many community affairs in Mustang, Yukon, OKC, El Reno, Norman, Choctaw, and Bethany. I have NEVER heard the type of comments you say you have been subjected to.

If I had, I'm sure I would be as unhappy, and misunderstood as you are. Good luck in your move!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:11 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
..............I have not been vocal at all here because I am afraid to speak up. I am one that just listens, but then I grew tired of it, so the next time I was listening to a group starting to put down Obama in a racist way, I said, "I like Obama," and then the group shunned me...........
I've been a democrat for 40 years, I tend to be a might outspoken, and, although I am a Christian, I consider myself a post denominational Christian, so I have lots of disagreements with the mainstreamers around here. along with that I live with a Pagan and am good friends with a Wiccan that lives down the road. She is the only one around that I trust to take care of my animals when we are away overnight. I've attended other non-mainstream services as well multi-racial services. I even supported Carlton Pearson in his supposed apostasy. I not only tell folks I like Obama, I make fun of Palin to neocons (When they make an outrageous comment, I tell them "Time out for a palin moment" and I wink at them and ask them if they like my maverick gesture). I probably made some folks mad at me (they had NO sense of humor), and some will probably avoid talking to me about politics or religion.......big wow. It isn't as though they pay my bills or date my daughter anyway.

Frankly, if you are going to let a$$'oles get your goat, where are you fleeing to, to escape them? When you settle in, could you tell us where you are going that is free of them? I might like to move there too (just so I can be the only one around).

Old 10-09-2008, 03:37 PM

779 posts, read 2,247,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
How so? Sending me a bill in the mail is more innovative? Leaves WAY too much room for error. The current system with tags having radio receivers in them works much better, IMO.

And Oklahoma's takes pictures as well; it just uses those to verify the charges. If you blow through a pike pass gate and it doesn't work, you'll get a nastygram from OTA asking you for the toll plus about $80.
I see what you mean about the errors that could occur when bills are being mailed to occupants. I actually have an Oklahoma pike pass myself, used it for about 5 years it really has been smooth sailing. I think Texas though it would be more efficient to rid their toll system altogether and use camera's to photo copy driver's license plates of any state to keep people from stopping to pay toll.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:18 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I've been a democrat for 40 years, I tend to be a might outspoken, and, although I am a Christian, I consider myself a post denominational Christian, so I have lots of disagreements with the mainstreamers around here. along with that I live with a Pagan and am good friends with a Wiccan that lives down the road. She is the only one around that I trust to take care of my animals when we are away overnight. I've attended other non-mainstream services as well multi-racial services. I even supported Carlton Pearson in his supposed apostasy. I not only tell folks I like Obama, I make fun of Palin to neocons (When they make an outrageous comment, I tell them "Time out for a palin moment" and I wink at them and ask them if they like my maverick gesture). I probably made some folks mad at me (they had NO sense of humor), and some will probably avoid talking to me about politics or religion.......big wow. It isn't as though they pay my bills or date my daughter anyway.

Frankly, if you are going to let a$$'oles get your goat, where are you fleeing to, to escape them? When you settle in, could you tell us where you are going that is free of them? I might like to move there too (just so I can be the only one around).
I don't know where you live, but this is a small town. Still I am about to do the same--speak my mind.
Yet those of the same mind as myself say to not speak your mind around here. It isn't safe. You have a good way of handling things. I think what has been bothering me most is that I feel that I can't say what I want. I feel I have to pretend to go along with the program, when my thoughts are much more like your's. Your post has been the most refreshing one I have seen on here. Thanks so much. Maybe I should not flee, and I wouldn't feel the need if I believed I could say what I want in this town. But I hear democrats saying that they are afraid to let others know that they are democrats, and yet I can think of one democrat in this town that I have talked with that says, "So what if they shun me; I shun back."

Quote:
where are you fleeing to, to escape them?
That is a good question. I have no answer.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-09-2008 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 04:52 PM

779 posts, read 2,247,502 times
Jessaka, I am sorry about your troubles in Oklahoma and hope where you move is a success one and I only pray for the best for you.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Jessaka, I’m neither Dem nor Rep, it depends on what the issues are and how the candidates feel about them, and I usually end up voting against the one I think is the biggest idiot. I think the last time I actually voted FOR someone was the late ‘60s. Race and/or religion does not play any part in my choice, either. Nor am I a racist in any way, though sometimes it boggles me since my sibs and I grew up in the same family. As for religion, if I’m anything, ti’s neopagan, since I was one of the earliest members of CAW, but I lost touch with them when I left the midwest. My mother was a lay preacher in one of those charismatic whatsits that speak in tongues and carry on two-way conversations with God, my sibs are either Southern Baptist or still further to the right. I don’t flaunt any of it, anyone who bothers to get to know me knows I have some fairly strong opinions and aversions, but it doesn’t seem to bother anyone. What I have encountered is agism - it seems rather bizarre to me to have someone walk up to me and ask how old I am, then tell me how much older they are!

It’s too bad you’ve had such a negative experience, mine has been pretty much the opposite. In spite of what I was told, no one has invited me to their church, and no one has asked me about my politics. As for the race thing, just yesterday one of my neighbors - a white man - had a long and apparently enjoyable visit with a Black man. I know they were outside for at least an hour, because that’s how long I was in my yard and I could hear them talking and laughing together, though I couldn’t actually hear the words. A Mexican family runs a bakery here and they are respected for their work ethic [and the wonderful pastries and cookies!]. The Indian girls who work in the smoke shop are always pleasant and helpful, and it’s not the kind of ‘pleasant’ I used to get in the grocery stores in WA. It may just be a difference between towns, but I simply haven’t seen any of what you describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma