Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 08:37 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
As a native Oklahoman for someone to describe Tulsa as a "very small city" is very hard to understand just where the heck that person is coming from unless it's from New York City.
It's all relative. The town where I lived in Alaska when I first got there was about the same size as Holdenville, or a bit smaller, but it was the 5th largest city in the state, by quite a bit.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiggs View Post
I'm also leaving for some of the same reasons. It has nothing to do with "outsider" attitudes as people here make it seem, actually the same 5 or 6 people over and over posting in defense of Oklahoma. Don't make the mistake of letting them represent the entire state. And don't take my post as gospel either. I posted over a year ago asking about Oklahoma as a place to live. Seemed great. I couldn't have been more wrong. Like the poster that I am qouting says, you are always treated as an outsider. And he pin-pointed the problem. The view that puts the blame at not being born and raised here. If your moving from one part of Oklahoma to another part of Oklahoma, especially if you were born in Oklahoma, then your welcomed with open arms. If your coming from another state, beware. I moved my family here thinking it would be a better life for us. You always hear how friendly Oklahoma is. Honestly, one of my neighbors has to be genuinely one of the friendliest people on earth. The rest don't even acknowledge our existence. I don't think my child has been more alone. A year almost and he has no friends, at 4. Yes, we have tried. But I guess there is no need for anyone to be his friend when they have their brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. all within the precinity. We are white incase anyone is speculating at this point. We came from a place where everyone was an outsider, so everyone was in the same boat. We are headed back there as soon as we can. I won't bad mouth Oklahoma or list all the things I find awful about it. I'll save that for a webpage I'm making that will list everything you should know about Oklahoma, well Yukon in particular, when coming from out of state. It won't be to slam Oklahoma, just some facts and opinions, from weather, to crime and general nature of things. In closing, if you want to know the true colors of Oklahomans, look at some of the responses to those that want to leave Oklahoma and those that want to stay. That is where their true feelings of outsiders come out. Like "well get the heck out", and "don't let the door hit ya", etc. Some show restraint, and manners. Others show just how little they care about you as an outsider. If you posted that you like Oklahoma, they couldn't be friendlier. Just don't change your opinion, otherwise their close-mindedness starts to show.
I agree with you about the rudeness of saying, well get out and don't let the dor hit ya. That happens in all forums. People are touchy about the State or town in which they live.

I am an outsider, but no one has ever made me feel like one, and so basically I am not an outsider. I came from California, and people here know it, but they don't judge me for it. Sure some will, but mostly not.

I imagine that it may be harder for a new kid, one from out of State, to make friends, but that depends upon the size of the town. Smaller towns may be more clickish. I don't know since I don't have kids. But rhere is another thing to look at. When I was a child we moved around alot and this made it hard for me to make friends. What was once a girl that was not shy when she was 7 and 8 years old became shy.

Sorry it didn't work out for you here.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:39 PM

274 posts, read 518,672 times
If you don't like being treated like an outsider then stay away from the northeast. I was born and raised here but because I left to join the military, I am now an outsider.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:24 PM

334 posts, read 915,527 times
Funny, I never got the "outsider" vibe. In fact, though I've found my time in OK to be sort of a mixed bag, the warmth with which I was welcomed was stunning. If anything, I've had to dodge invites to games, parties, happy hours, etc. (my poor liver...) And I'm an introvert.

Maybe the shunning of outsiders is more a small town thing?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:53 PM

491 posts, read 1,475,871 times
Maybe it's just a personality of the outsider thing

Old 01-24-2009, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 10,052 times
After living in Oklahoma my entire life (35 years), my family(hubby and 2 sons), moved to North Carolina (due to hubbys job).There is truly no place like home.We are doing everything we can just to get close to our home state.Oklahomans are so friendly.There is no culture where we currently live and the school system is a nightmare.The people here are VERY quick to judge you and are easily offended.We can't find good Mexican food (some place like Ted's Escondido maybe) or a good burger.We are still having Braums withdrawls.Seriously,I would give anything to live back in Oklahoma and let my 8 year old and 5 year old boys grow up with their cousins and grandparents.There isn't a thing we don't miss about Oklahoma.I hate to hear people bash the great state of Oklahoma but I am bashing North Carolina so what can I say?

Old 01-25-2009, 08:20 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Sorry for you, Soonermom. Hopefully you'll be able to re-locate one day and come back to your home state. When you do, we'll be waitin' on ya.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 AM

149 posts, read 366,721 times
its not so great, thats why this summer i am moving to Dillingham, Alaska.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:43 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebushman View Post
its not so great, thats why this summer i am moving to Dillingham, Alaska.
Good luck, you're gonna need it. Especially if you haven't visited there yet! And even if you have, there's a mega-difference between visiting a place, and living there.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:50 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermom7 View Post
After living in Oklahoma my entire life (35 years), my family(hubby and 2 sons), moved to North Carolina (due to hubbys job).There is truly no place like home.We are doing everything we can just to get close to our home state.Oklahomans are so friendly.There is no culture where we currently live and the school system is a nightmare.The people here are VERY quick to judge you and are easily offended.We can't find good Mexican food (some place like Ted's Escondido maybe) or a good burger.We are still having Braums withdrawls.Seriously,I would give anything to live back in Oklahoma and let my 8 year old and 5 year old boys grow up with their cousins and grandparents.There isn't a thing we don't miss about Oklahoma.I hate to hear people bash the great state of Oklahoma but I am bashing North Carolina so what can I say?
Soonermom7,

I don't blame you for wanting to leave N.C. I lived there for a year and hated every day of it. My ex-wife was born and raised there with her family and shows every product of which you talk about. And I mean these people are lazy and the nastiest in every way to anyone who's not a tar-heel. They are quick to preach the Bible, but even quicker to forget about what they're preaching. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't north carolina the last colony to jump on the band wagon to vote for fighting against England for our Nations Independence (a bunch of hold-outs)? And as for thier education system, its a total joke. My ex and her mother tried to tell me that the Hawaiian Islands were floating islands, and they asked me if the great lakes were man made.
When I was in Oklahoma for three years in the Army at Ft Sill, I found them to be the nicest folks and hard workers as well. Always willing to help you out when they can and practically will give the shirt off thier backs for each other and a stranger.
When possible, my best half and I are looking to moving to the great state of Oklahoma "east end" and live there for the rest of our lives with her wonderful people.

I hope you and your family can get back to Oklahoma where you belong and raise your children with real Americans.

This is only my views and it is not directed at any person or persons, so please don't read it as "Flamming".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma