Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafoxy View Post
I love Oklahoma! I was born and raised here and I don't plan on leaving it anytime soon, yes Oklahoma has it's faults but so does ever other state.
The very worst of which is the weather. Oklahoma has to have some of the absolutely worst weather in the country, year after year.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
The very worst of which is the weather. Oklahoma has to have some of the absolutely worst weather in the country, year after year.
Have you ever lived anywhere else besides OK? I can think of MANY places I've lived that were worse than OK.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Not at all. I've lived several places with much worse weather. The real questions are what kinds of weather bother you, and what kinds don't. One place was a lot colder, a lot windier [with the exception of tornadoes], and hot enough to warp railroad tracks in the summer. Rhis was in the Lower 48, by the way.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 PM

258 posts, read 1,014,900 times
I actually like Tulsas weather. It has almost classic, storybook, seasons. We have 4 distinct seasons fairly equally balanced. In a perfect world spring and fall would last longer lol, but it teaches you to make sure you stop and enjoy things more I think.

Fall is my favorite season. Cool, slight breezes, trees are changing, leaves falling, put out the pumpkins and fall decorations, bringing out the sweaters and dressing a little nicer than the shorts/flip flops of summer lol, last of the garden pickings, etc. Thanksgiving and Halloween are supposed to be chilly, lots of browns, reds, yellows, pumpkins, gourds, haystacks, darkening evenings, birds flying south...

Winter is winter, though wish we would get more snow than ice lol. But that seems to fluctuate between decades. Some snowy, some icy. But tis the season for shopping at Utica Square, a fire in the fireplace, snuggled under a quilt on the couch sipping hot cocoa, popcorn, reading or writing lol, that book you have put off, having friends over for wine and cheese parties or game nights, the Nutcracker Ballet, Christmas trees and decorations, ice skating, etc.

Looking forward to spring... Can you do that in Florida? I like the joy of anticipation, the definite passing of the years marked by the change in seasons. Wonder how it would be if every season looked pretty much like every other? I like it when spring comes around. It seems that not only the world gets a fresh start, but I make it a point to make a fresh start on things too. Get out more, exercise and go to the gym more lol. Its a reminder to have a fresh outlook on another year and try to be and do things better.

Spring, though windy to start, can be very beautiful. Its nice to see the first daffodils rising up, and azaleas blooming. Those mid-town neighborhoods especially can look absolutely beautiful. Chilly easter egg hunts with the family. The great "getting outside" that everyone does on those first warm days. The parks fill up with people excited to get out again. It can almost be comical lol. Riverparks can be jam packed with bikers, runners, rollerbladers, walkers,,, all weaving around each other. Woodward can sometimes have so many people that its hard to get a picture of the flowers with all them in the way lol. Also look forward to new plantings in the garden and fixing up the yard.

Summer is shorts, sandals and t-shirt weather. Playing Sand V-ball by the river. Watching big thunderstorms roll in and creating fantastic sunsets. The dog days of summer,,,enjoying the heat, and yes I enjoy it. Swimming, enjoying the lakes and backyard bbq's. Nothing like swigging down a huge glass of iced tea on a hot summer day. Camping, late night parties on the back patio with friends. etc. etc.

Each season has different things you can do and look forward to. If your not used to seasons, well ya just have to learn what each one is about, the unique pleasures, challenges, and memories each can bring. Once your tired of one season, ya get the pleasure and anticipation of the next.

Anyone else old enough to remember when cartoons were only on Saturday mornings? Weren't Saturday mornings and cartoons great back then? Remember how kids couldn't wait and would get up early to see them? Now cartoons are on all the time, saturdays aren't the same anymore and cartoons are just cartoons. I think thats another bit of what makes 4 distinct seasons nice, its the impatiently waiting and wanting for the next one to arrive. :-) Can anyone REALLY appreciate a nice day with the depth and relish that a person who has been indoors because of heat or cold for a month or two can lol?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:45 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaArtist View Post
I actually like Tulsas weather. It has almost classic, storybook, seasons. We have 4 distinct seasons fairly equally balanced. In a perfect world spring and fall would last longer lol, but it teaches you to make sure you stop and enjoy things more I think.

Fall is my favorite season. Cool, slight breezes, trees are changing, leaves falling, put out the pumpkins and fall decorations, bringing out the sweaters and dressing a little nicer than the shorts/flip flops of summer lol, last of the garden pickings, etc. Thanksgiving and Halloween are supposed to be chilly, lots of browns, reds, yellows, pumpkins, gourds, haystacks, darkening evenings, birds flying south...

Winter is winter, though wish we would get more snow than ice lol. But that seems to fluctuate between decades. Some snowy, some icy. But tis the season for shopping at Utica Square, a fire in the fireplace, snuggled under a quilt on the couch sipping hot cocoa, popcorn, reading or writing lol, that book you have put off, having friends over for wine and cheese parties or game nights, the Nutcracker Ballet, Christmas trees and decorations, ice skating, etc.

Looking forward to spring... Can you do that in Florida? I like the joy of anticipation, the definite passing of the years marked by the change in seasons. Wonder how it would be if every season looked pretty much like every other? I like it when spring comes around. It seems that not only the world gets a fresh start, but I make it a point to make a fresh start on things too. Get out more, exercise and go to the gym more lol. Its a reminder to have a fresh outlook on another year and try to be and do things better.

Spring, though windy to start, can be very beautiful. Its nice to see the first daffodils rising up, and azaleas blooming. Those mid-town neighborhoods especially can look absolutely beautiful. Chilly easter egg hunts with the family. The great "getting outside" that everyone does on those first warm days. The parks fill up with people excited to get out again. It can almost be comical lol. Riverparks can be jam packed with bikers, runners, rollerbladers, walkers,,, all weaving around each other. Woodward can sometimes have so many people that its hard to get a picture of the flowers with all them in the way lol. Also look forward to new plantings in the garden and fixing up the yard.

Summer is shorts, sandals and t-shirt weather. Playing Sand V-ball by the river. Watching big thunderstorms roll in and creating fantastic sunsets. The dog days of summer,,,enjoying the heat, and yes I enjoy it. Swimming, enjoying the lakes and backyard bbq's. Nothing like swigging down a huge glass of iced tea on a hot summer day. Camping, late night parties on the back patio with friends. etc. etc.

Each season has different things you can do and look forward to. If your not used to seasons, well ya just have to learn what each one is about, the unique pleasures, challenges, and memories each can bring. Once your tired of one season, ya get the pleasure and anticipation of the next.

Anyone else old enough to remember when cartoons were only on Saturday mornings? Weren't Saturday mornings and cartoons great back then? Remember how kids couldn't wait and would get up early to see them? Now cartoons are on all the time, saturdays aren't the same anymore and cartoons are just cartoons. I think thats another bit of what makes 4 distinct seasons nice, its the impatiently waiting and wanting for the next one to arrive. :-) Can anyone REALLY appreciate a nice day with the depth and relish that a person who has been indoors because of heat or cold for a month or two can lol?
Very well put. Just learning myself but like this much better than the "today its winter, tomorrow summer" of the desert fringe in socal.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:38 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaArtist View Post
Excellent post, TulsaArtist.

I agree, Oklahoma does NOT have the worst weather. Not even close! Maybe a weekend trip over to Jammies' section of the country, the Dakotas, would help broaden the horizons of weisg1, then a trip to Phoenix in the summer...

The humidity in OK ~does~ bother me as I get older and we retreat indoors more as we get older. But as a kid, we played outdoors all year regardless of snow, ice, or blazing heat.

P.S. I have fond memories of the saturday morning cartoons. And I also remember Soul Train would come on immediately afterwards. Then the teenagers would take over the TV.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Excellent post, TulsaArtist.

I agree, Oklahoma does NOT have the worst weather. Not even close! Maybe a weekend trip over to Jammies' section of the country, the Dakotas, would help broaden the horizons of weisg1, then a trip to Phoenix in the summer...

The humidity in OK ~does~ bother me as I get older and we retreat indoors more as we get older. But as a kid, we played outdoors all year regardless of snow, ice, or blazing heat.

P.S. I have fond memories of the saturday morning cartoons. And I also remember Soul Train would come on immediately afterwards. Then the teenagers would take over the TV.
lol my mil's mom lives in Minnesota. You want really really bad weather?

Old 01-28-2009, 03:13 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
TulsaArtist's post was spot on, on many accounts. The comments about cartoons really hit the nail on the head. I remember waking up so excited on Saturday mornings because there was finally something on TV for me!

Last edited by Synopsis; 01-28-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 03:21 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Saturday mornings were great, though I don't remember any cartoons. We had programs like Zorro, Gene Autry, Lash LaRue, Hopalong Cassidy, that kind of thing. And Davy Crockett still hadn't been made into a movie yet!

There was a series on called Six Gun Heroes some years back that replayed all of the really old cowboy TV shows, and it was really neat. Some of the heroes actually did kiss their horses instead of the leading lady at the end, and they were serious about it.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:33 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
"Out of the clear blue sky comes Sky King"

Anyone remember the name of Sky Kings airplane? How about his Niece?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma