Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, but I hate sarcasm. I've hated it since I was a little kid.

Further, I just don't have time to closely observe and keep up with all the people, or in other words, the various charactiers, on the forum.

And people in this forum are perfectly welcomed to knock me to their heart's content, including calling me names, if it will work to make them feel better about themselves. After all, I am far, far from a prominent member of my community, or of the state of Oklahoma, so it's not really gonna matter what they think since I'm never running for election for anything.
There's a difference between mild, gentle sarcasm and the nasty stuff meant to hurt.

Just out of pure curiosity, if you don't have the time to closely observe and keep up with all the posters - there really aren't all that many regulars - why do you come here at all? I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just curious. The forums are communities of a sort, after all, and having a 'neighbor' who says he doesn't have time to closely observe or keep up is disconcerting, to say the least.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Quote:
Yes, but I hate sarcasm. I've hated it since I was a little kid.

Further, I just don't have time to closely observe and keep up with all the people, or in other words, the various charactiers, on the forum..
I understand...I'm not a fan of of it either despite being *blessed* with 2 older Brothers who are/were the KINGS of sarcasm. And it IS hard to tell the difference when it is just words on a page.

Quote:
And people in this forum are perfectly welcomed to knock me to their heart's content, including calling me names, if it will work to make them feel better about themselves. After all, I am far, far from a prominent member of my community, or of the state of Oklahoma, so it's not really gonna matter what they think since I'm never running for election for anything.
No they are not... I can't read every post either so you need to use the "report post" button to give us a heads up. If someone is being overly nasty we can (and will) step in. If you don't want to do that just drop me a DM and I will be here ASAP.

Also...If I were any less "prominent" in MY community I would be living under a park bench.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Just out of pure curiosity, if you don't have the time to closely observe and keep up with all the posters - there really aren't all that many regulars - why do you come here at all? I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just curious. The forums are communities of a sort, after all, and having a 'neighbor' who says he doesn't have time to closely observe or keep up is disconcerting, to say the least.
Ummm... Maybe because he IS a Native Oklahoman and has a lot of valuable information to share??? Not everyone has the same amount of time to just "hang-out" and read every thread in the forum, and some of "us" do have the unfair advantage of having met in person so we know each other a little better.

Yes, the forums are a "community" in a sense but the State Forums ARE supposed to be devoted to relocation issues and not just a chat area for the regular posters.

Stillwater's experience is a valuable asset here even if he doesn't "know" all of the "regular posters".

Old 09-30-2008, 10:03 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Ummm... Maybe because he IS a Native Oklahoman and has a lot of valuable information to share??? Not everyone has the same amount of time to just "hang-out" and read every thread in the forum, and some of "us" do have the unfair advantage of having met in person so we know each other a little better.

Yes, the forums are a "community" in a sense but the State Forums ARE supposed to be devoted to relocation issues and not just a chat area for the regular posters.

Stillwater's experience is a valuable asset here even if he doesn't "know" all of the "regular posters".
That's all true, and I've read a lot of his posts with interest. The thing is, most of the threads he's posted in also have responses by the same people he's claiming not to have the time to follow. It's hard for me to imagine making a post to any thread without first having read the other responses. There are a lot of threads I don't bother reading simply because I have no idea as to what the place/whatever is being asked about. But if I do find one that interests me, I read [if I'm not the first responder] all the posts that come before. It's not all that time-consuming. And I did say I was just curious, it seemed like he had rather a jaundiced opinion of a lot of people. I mean, Syn was the first one to post a 'sarcastic' comment, and how could he NOT know who Synopsis is?

I don't spend nearly as much time hanging out as I used to, either, too many critters want attention, to say nothing of food. And I'm still trying to figure out how to stuff all the knickyknackies from 3,000 sf of previous houses into a 1,000 sf house and still leave room for me!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:14 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,514 times
Why is it, by American mentality, okay for people to like Texas, California, Florida, Illinois and the like, but we say we love Oklahoma, they think there is something wrong with us?

America has a great skill of passing misinformation. It's a viral epidemic. Sorry folks, but facts are facts. Texas is no different than Oklahoma when it comes to tolerance and being progressive. Anytime something bad happens in Texas (anybody remember Jarrell, TX?) it's forgotten in 48 hours. Anytime something bad happens in Oklahoma, it's the freakin' apocalypse.

Here's a bit of sarasm for you:

It's okay for Texas to have racist bigots. No big deal... they have Austin... Texas is off the hook!!! We'll just sweep the Texas cons under a rug and pretend it isn't there.

One ignorant remark by an Oklahoma politician, and suddenly the anti-Oklahoma league comes out in droves urging people to move elsewhere chanting "Leave Oklahoma!"

Pathetic. Just pathetic. America... land of the sheep. Mahahahaha

Old 09-30-2008, 10:40 PM

179 posts, read 199,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
Why is it, by American mentality, okay for people to like Texas, California, Florida, Illinois and the like, but we say we love Oklahoma, they think there is something wrong with us?

America has a great skill of passing misinformation. It's a viral epidemic. Sorry folks, but facts are facts. Texas is no different than Oklahoma when it comes to tolerance and being progressive. Anytime something bad happens in Texas (anybody remember Jarrell, TX?) it's forgotten in 48 hours. Anytime something bad happens in Oklahoma, it's the freakin' apocalypse.

Here's a bit of sarasm for you:

It's okay for Texas to have racist bigots. No big deal... they have Austin... Texas is off the hook!!! We'll just sweep the Texas cons under a rug and pretend it isn't there.

One ignorant remark by an Oklahoma politician, and suddenly the anti-Oklahoma league comes out in droves urging people to move elsewhere chanting "Leave Oklahoma!"

Pathetic. Just pathetic. America... land of the sheep. Mahahahaha
Yeh but TX also has Marfa, El Paso, Dallas, and Houston which are all liberal tolerant places. There are weirdos everywhere - California is home to all the white supremacist groups - but the point is TX and Cal still have something POSITIVE to offer. My question is: what does OK have POSITIVE?

In TX, I can be openly gay and hold hands with a member of the same sex, atheist, have tattoos, all in public, and nobody cares. Is there anywhere like that in OK?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:12 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
Yeh but TX also has Marfa, El Paso, Dallas, and Houston which are all liberal tolerant places. There are weirdos everywhere - California is home to all the white supremacist groups - but the point is TX and Cal still have something POSITIVE to offer. My question is: what does OK have POSITIVE?

In TX, I can be openly gay and hold hands with a member of the same sex, atheist, have tattoos, all in public, and nobody cares. Is there anywhere like that in OK?
You just have to keep it up don't you.. Obviously there are a lot of threads and there is this search engine called Google that will give you the information you need instead of rehashing the same tired old topics all of the time no matter what anyone says.

Oklahoma is home to astronauts, actors, philanthropists, farmers that produce your vegetables, ranchers that provide your meat, and just good, hard-working people among many others. And guess what? These people are gay, straight, atheists, agnostics, Christian, single, married, black, white, Native American, etc...

The people in Oklahoma are as "tolerant" as I've seen anywhere. You're version of tolerant is only when someone thinks or acts as YOU see fit.

So, get down off your high horse and slink back to wherever it is you hail from. You obviously have nothing better to do than troll around these forums trying to stir up trouble.

Oh, and Keep it up, I'd like nothing more than to hang a trolling infraction around your neck; a big, heavy custom one made from barbed wire and rusty nails.

Last edited by Synopsis; 10-01-2008 at 05:42 AM..

Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post

OK has many positive things, too numerous to list.

OK is also very tolerant to gays. We have several gay friends .... some single, some married couples. And they are part of this community (being OK) and accepted just like everybody else who acts like a normal human being.

In fact, OK is a LOT more democratic and tolerant than many other surounding states.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:16 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You just have to keep it up don't you.. Obviously there are a lot of threads and there is this search engine called Google that will give you the information you need instead of rehashing the same tired old topics all of the time no matter what anyone says.

Oklahoma is home to astronauts, actors, philanthropists, farmers that produce your vegetables, ranchers that provide your meat, and just good, hard-working people among many others. And guess what? These people are gay, straight, atheists, agnostics, Christian, single, married, black, white, Native American, etc...

The people in Oklahoma are as "tolerant" as I've seen anywhere. You're version of tolerant is only when someone thinks or acts as YOU see fit.

So, get down off your high horse and slink back to wherever it is you hail from. You obviously have nothing better to do than troll around these forums trying to stir up trouble.

Oh, and Keep it up, I'd like nothing more than to hang a trolling infraction around your neck; a big, heavy custom one made from barbed wire and rusty nails.
OK Mister ..... you "forgot" to mention Pagans/Wiccans, musicians and other famous Okies

Old 10-01-2008, 07:33 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
I am sorry I posted the "sarcastic" post.

I'm a new Okie (since Feb, 2008) and I LOVE it here. My daughter is in the high school, and has run into blacks, NA's, whites, Indians, Asians, gays, bi's, etc. She has always had a very tolerant view of the world, and she hasn't had any problems with anyone at her high school conflcting with her views.

Since young people pick up the views from their home, and everyone there is pretty tolerant, I don't see any major issues in OK with regard to accepting. However, if you walk down the street holding hands with your lover, covered with tatoos and generally making yourself "obvious" you would stand out in parts of New York City, not just OKC.

I agree with other posters. It appears you're just looking for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma