Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:50 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby H View Post
I'm all in favor of the new law meant to cut down on left lane camping on four lane highways. The left lane really is only meant for passing. It isn't designed for a driver to hang out there and act as "the keeper of the speed."

People who drive too fast can be a hazard on the highways. Unfortunately, people who drive too slow pose just as bad a hazard.

In the Lawton-Fort Sill area, we see LOTS of both extremes. There's no shortage of people who drive either way too fast or way too slow. It can be startling when some guy blazes past you doing 90mph in a 65mph zone. But then you get just as startled coming up on someone doing 30mph right ahead of you. The concept of driving with the flow of traffic seems to be very foreign to many in these parts.

One thing that really jangles my nerves is drivers coming to a dead stop at the end of the acceleration lane on a freeway on ramp. That's not a good thing to see during the morning rush with lots of drivers coming up behind you.

Perhaps the most annoying habit I see around here is the lack of turn signal use. It's always fun to have someone make a sudden right turn ahead of you with no warning. Or a no-look no-signal lane change. Maybe they have that hand they should be using to work the signal thingie on the steering wheel clutched to a stupid cellular phone instead.
This is true, I always see people on thier stupid cell phone rolling down the high-way in the fast lane doing about 5 to 10 mph's under the speed limit. There are some cities here in Ohio that if they catch you talking on the your phone while your driving, you get a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:49 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
The amazing thing I find here in OK about turn signals is that if you do put a signal on to go into another lane, they actually let you in!! On the east coast, a turn signal to go into another lane is a reason for the people in that lane to speed up so you can't get in. So refreshing.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:40 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
The amazing thing I find here in OK about turn signals is that if you do put a signal on to go into another lane, they actually let you in!! On the east coast, a turn signal to go into another lane is a reason for the people in that lane to speed up so you can't get in. So refreshing.
To bad you don't drive a big 20 ton, 7 axle dump truck, Colleeng. When I give a turn signal to tell others (I want to move over to the next lane) and they try to speed up or block me from moving over. Well we truck drivers like to do a little thing called the "bump and slide". Thats where you give the signal, wait for a few seconds, then you slide over then back again as if to say, "oops, I didn't see you over there" . The four wheelers usually make the move to either speed up or slow down to let us in . When you have tires moving toward you that are as high as your windows, the pucker factor kicks in . Or, sometimes you've waited long enough, so you just "Bulldog" your way in, and say sorry , so sad , to bad . Then as they drive by you given you the "one finger, I love more", signal, you just toot your horn and wave with a big smile.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:04 PM

471 posts, read 825,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post

It's the same way in the Kansas City area.

Scum of the Earth...

Old 12-17-2008, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,523 times
In most states,left lane is for passing only.Slower traffic in left lane is suppose to move regardless if they're doing the speed limit.Vehicle behind you wanting to pass makes you the slower driver.Remember I said in most states,in a very few it is perfectly legal to drive in left lane.I think Texas,Okla and Ark must be in this catagory as I travel all three states and majority of drivers are in left lane and no one in right one.Makes it easier for me to drive in right lane.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
I was just in OK Sunday. In fact, I drove from West TX to OKC airport and I didn't experience anything like this along I-40. In fact, it was kind of nice to get back to certain parts of TX and OK where people were more courteous than the drivers we have on the West coast.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:01 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
I think the all-time worst drivers I've ever seen are the Canadians who come across the border in NW WA, into Blaine, which is a fairly small town. I don't know how they drive at home, but once they cross the border, they ignore speed limit signs, stop signs, take their half out of the middle of the road, you name it. It's pure insanity. And when you add in the locals who think they automatically have the right of way since they live there, it gets worse. One of the bus drivers I used to ride with there said whenever he got stuck with that one particular route, he always started his day with a tranquilizer.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:15 AM

266 posts, read 972,113 times
It's what has kept us human the past years, we take our time. The last couple years though things have been getting busier and unfortunately that calls for more idiot drivers. I haven't really experienced slow drivers in the left lanes on the highways as much yet and when I get a little close they usually realize it and start speeding up. I've also noticed that less people are using their signals. Use your signals people!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:35 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
There is one portion of I-40 between Shawnee and OKC westbound where the left lane is so bumpy its pathetic. The right lane had those little cyclinders inserted into the pavement. I am not sure why, but I think to absorb the stretching/constricting of the hwy due to weather temps.

And early morning rush hour between Shawnee and OKC is 80 - 85 mph in the left and 70 ish in the right lane.

Its funny to see the hwy conditions change dramatically as you go from one county to the next on I-40 east of OKC.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:57 PM

288 posts, read 918,122 times
I consider the left lane to be the lane for the people wanting to go the speed LIMIT and the right lane for people wanting to go closer to the speed MINIMUM. I pretty much ALWAYS drive in the left lane and I go the speed LIMIT.

If some speed freak is coming up behind me and I can pull over into the right lane, I do. But if someone is already there, I'm going to just continue on my merry way until I can. However, if said speed freak is riding my butt, I'm likely to tap my breaks to get off cruise control and slooooowly slow down until I can move over into the right lane. I'm not going to speed just to satisfy some idiot with a stone foot. The exception is if I'm in the left, someone is in the right and there is a car pulled over on the shoulder. I'll either speed up or slow down QUICKLY to left the person in the right lane move over. Also, if we're going downhill and I'm in the left lane and someone is in the right lane, going slowly and a semi is stuck behind them, I'll hurry to get out of the way so that the semi doesn't have to slam on their brakes. If a speed freak comes up behind me or the person in the right lane, trying to pass, but keeping a polite, respectful, SAFE distance, I'll speed up or slow down to help them get around. but the jerks? I take pleasure in preventing them from breaking the speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma