Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:46 PM

702 posts, read 2,517,975 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest the Grove area, it's the largest community that is basically on Grand Lake. They are building a new hospital as well. Grove has a lot of elderly people so health care opportunities should be pretty good I would think. Rand/McNally named Grand Lake the top retirement area in the nation a few years ago so I'm sure that has brought in additional retirement age people. If you want to live right on the water the waterfront property is pretty expensive, not sure how much your wanting to spend or if you have a need to be right on the water. It sure is nice if you can afford it. I live on the south end of Grand, Grove is on the northeast end of the lake. You will love it here!!! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Grove is surrounded by Grand Lake. It is 60 miles Long. There is a nice small hospital, medical building, doctors in the hospital too, as well as nursing homes and assisted living in or very near the City of Crove. The pop is 5.000. Your husband should quality for SS or SSI of SSDI. Your child might be able to dry cause dad can't work. You need to talk to an SS lawyer.

You can fish anywhere except from private property. Heated docks in winter is acouple of places. you won't find pike in warm waters. You'll cind crappie, bluegill, bass, catfish and carp. You might find walleye but I never heard of it in this lake, It won't take you long to find where the fist are. It's a deep lake. Fish go to the bottom in the summer and spawn in shallow waters in the spring.

Sorry about husband. My spouse had angiogram yesterday and quad bypass that failed. The pronosis wsa 120 days. That was 12 years ago. Here's your good news.

The best Cardiologists - as good as Iowa City - is in Grove. Paul Calicoat is in the new medical building on !3th between Main and Shundai. It is a new 2 story building.in an open field. He took care of mine for close to 10 years before we moved. He'll listen and he'll talk to you. The other piece of good news is that St.Francis in Tulsa has a wonderful heart wing. The surgeons at Tulsa Heart Care are awesome. It is this group of Tulsa doctors who invented the stent.

You will love Grove. I am sending you a private message.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 8,787 times
Thanks, linicx!

This information is very helpful... I am not worried about me finding a job, as I can do anything. I am a hard worker and reliable.

We are just waiting on SSDis to come through and then we'll move.

I do have another question.... what is the soil like? The reason why I ask is, I would like a small garden. Is it all clay?

Old 07-03-2009, 03:52 PM

37 posts, read 129,219 times
Default Realtor Suggestions for Rental Homes?

Hi everyone,
My hubby and I are contemplating moving to the Grove area. He lost his IT job back in November (3rd time in 3 years) and we want to move to a smaller town. We currently live north of Dallas, where the traffic is horrendous and though the town we live in is mostly friendly, the rest of the area is all about what kind of car you drive and what kind of house you have. We don't have enough money to buy right now unless there was owner-financing offered, so we are concentrating on renting.

We will be in Grove on Monday thru Wednesday of next week. Can anyone recommend a realtor who would be helpful, truthful, and not too pushy? We haven't ruled out other areas (also looking at Bentonville/Bella Vista and open to other towns/cities in the NE OK/NW AR/SE MO area).

We are almost at retirement age, but hubby is working these days at Home Depot for $8.50/hr, and I am on disability due to severe health issues. We lost what little money we had in IRAs due to the stock market downturn and cashing them in to stay afloat while looking for work. We are giving up a car and want to downsize and simplify...enjoy the outdoors, watch the wildlife, mingle with neighbors, just enjoy life.

Any ideas? I have scoured this forum and the web for info on Grove, and it looks beautiful and sounds like a wonderful place to live, especially for us. But housing info has been hard to get, and I imagine this time of year makes it harder, with the tourism. The info you provide here is so helpful and I appreciate it very much. We are hoping to make the most of our visit next week.

Thanks, and Happy Fourth of July to all!

Nina

Old 07-04-2009, 07:34 AM

702 posts, read 2,517,975 times
Check these guys out:

Lakefront Homes, Residential Houses, Land, Lots, Property, Prudential Real Estate,Staycation, Vacation Cabins, Retirement Destinations, Grove, Jay, Monkey Island, Zena, Fairland, Langley, Duck Creek

I cannot vouch for any realtor in the Grand Lake area though. 13 years ago when I was looking for property around Grand Lake the realtor would only show me their listings! It got very frustrating, I'm hoping it's gotten better by now.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:30 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Default You won't like this answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcountry View Post
Thanks, linicx!

This information is very helpful... I am not worried about me finding a job, as I can do anything. I am a hard worker and reliable.

We are just waiting on SSDis to come through and then we'll move.

I do have another question.... what is the soil like? The reason why I ask is, I would like a small garden. Is it all clay?
Soil: Poor. Clay, hardpan and rock. You're in the foothills of the Ozark Mountain Range. YOu will need some good deep topsoil. Do not buy Walmart soil. In the spring you will start to see ads for soil from the mushroom grower in Miami. OK. It's good stuff. Miami is about 20 miles due N or Grove not far from the I-44 Afton Exit.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:53 AM

75 posts, read 99,361 times
any new insights on relocating to the Grove area? I am retired, husband a general contractor ... looking for a more wholesome environment to live (currently in CA)

Old 10-24-2017, 07:55 PM

14 posts, read 36,022 times
I've been a weekend lake resident since 2012, on the outskirts of Grove. We love it. From my point-of-view, the town has done well since the time this thread was started. Some businesses have been lost but others have been added. I don't have a full perspective, however, given that we're not full-timers. Grandlakenews.com is the site of the local paper, and would give you a feel of things. Grandlakenewsonline.com is the site for the lake paper, and gives you a flavor of the vibrant lake life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma