Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2006, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,569 times

Advertisements

We are about to move from Fort Smith area to around Oklahoma City. We don't to pay much at all for a house, but we don't know anything about OKC area. Any suggestions? Son will start Kindergarten in 2007.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 23,203 times
Default OKC Information

I live in eastern OK, but OKC is a nice area. Edmond is growing very rapidly and home values are high. If you can afford to drive a little, you can still get good values in Yukon or Mustang just SW of OKC. Be prepared b/c closing costs on a home in OK are higher than Arkansas. This is b/c OK is an abstract state. If you would like to get pre-approved to purchase a home, visit my web site at www.wellsfargolender.com. Prudential Realty in OKC is excellent. They sell quite a few homes throughout the area.

Good Luck

Old 07-18-2006, 01:00 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,808 times
Default Oklahoma - where the wind+++

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourAs
we don't know anything... . Any suggestions?
Thanks!
[CENTER]List of Rules [/CENTER]
The following list of rules applies to each person as they enter Oklahoma:

1. Pull your droopy pants up. You look like an idiot.

2. Let's get this straight; it's called a "gravel road." I drive a pickup truck because I need to. No matter how slow you drive, you're going to get dust on your Lexus. Drive it or get out of the way.

3. There are pigs, cattle & oil wells. That's what they smell like to you. They smell like money to us. Get over it. Don't like it? I-40 goes east and west, I-35 goes north and south. Pick one.

4. So you have an $80,000 dollar car. We're impressed. We have quarter-million dollar air conditioned tractors. We drive them 3 weeks a year.

5. So every person in every pickup waves. It's called being friendly. Try to understand the concept.

6. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of doves is coming in, we WILL shoot it out of your hand. You had better hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time.

7. Yeah, we eat catfish & calf-fries. You really want sushi & caviar? It's available at the corner bait shop.

8. The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season. It's a religious holiday held the closest Saturday to the first of November.

9. We open doors for women. That is applied to everyone, regardless of age.

10. No, there's no "vegetarian special" on the menu. Order steak. Or you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the 2 pounds of ham & turkey.

11. When we fill out a table, there are three main dishes: meats, vegetables, and breads. We use three spices: salt, pepper, and Pace Picante Sauce.

12. You bring "coke" into my house, it better be brown, wet, served over ice. You bring "Mary Jane" into my house, she better be cute, know how to shoot, drive a truck, and have long hair.

13. High School Football is as important here as the Lakers and the Knicks, and a dang site more fun to watch.

14. Yeah, we have golf courses. Don't hit the water hazards - it spooks the fish.

15. Colleges? Try O.U. or O.S.U. (By the way Yankees, OSU does not mean Ohio State). They come outta there with an education, a love for God, country, and they still wave at passing pickups when they come home for the holidays.

16. We send more folks to the Navy, Army, Marines, & Air Force than any other state. "Don't Mess with Okla." If you do, it will get your butt kicked by the best.

17. When folks in Oklahoma talk about having a PhD they're talking about their Post Hole Digger.

18. Always remember what our great governor E.W. Marland once said: "Oklahoma can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Oklahoma."

GOD BLESS OKLAHOMA!!!!!

Old 07-20-2006, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,571 times
Talking Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourAs
to around Oklahoma City......we don't know anything about OKC area. Any suggestions? Son will start Kindergarten in 2007.
Thanks!
I would suggest checking out the Shawnee/Bethel Acres area. Shawnee is only about 30 miles from OKC, and is not a bad little town at all. Both me and my kids attended school (different years of course) in Bethel Acres, which is just West of Shawnee. The school is a small but very good one. I-44 runs very close and it is a straight shot to OKC. I lived in Shawnee and worked in OKC for quite a few years.

As far as Shawnee itself goes, I would suggest staying away from the Southern side as far as getting a house. When I was there last (about 4 years) the Northern side was groing pretty fast, out toward the mall. Tecumseh, which is just South of Shawnee, is okay also.

I have a friend that lives in Edmond, and it is pretty pricey as a previous poster stated. But I found prices in Shawnee to be fairly reasonable.

Best of luck!

Old 07-28-2006, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,428 times
Hey Four A's. That seems an awful lot like North Dakota rules to me. You didnt include any rules about Sasquatches at all !!!

Old 08-08-2006, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,570 times
Talking Just moved here, also

Firstly, Welcome to Oklahoma! We just moved here last October from the Reno Nevada area, and we love it. We are located in Watonga, 69 miles NW of OKC. The home prices here are very reasonable ($40k for a small place $65k for a nice older home and upwards from there), the city of Watonga has plenty of amenities for your daily needs, and it is just over 1 hour to NW Expressway in OKC (where you can find anything). The largest employer in the immediate area is Diamondback Correctional Facility. Always hiring corrections officers for $10.25(?)/hr. and about 15 minutes from downtown. Are you looking for work or do you already have something lined up? If so, where? That might help people know where to direct you. Anyway, I had a much larger change moving from Nevada than you will have coming from Arkansas, so I'm sure you will enjoy it here. Best of luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma