Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times

Advertisements

We are currently researching retirement in either rural eastern Oklahoma or rural western Arkansas. I'd like your opinions, whatever they might be. Eastern Oklahoma has the advantage of being close to a major city, still have lakes and trees, which we want. However, I've gotten the impression that a rural area in OK may not be very safe, rednecky hostile to outsiders.

Arkansas? Well, I've been there numerous times, and have always felt welcomed and treated well by most people I met. However, its not as close to major cities. Unless your right outside Bentonville, Fayetteville and that area. The area I'm thinking of in Arkasas is 100 miles even from Little Rock, and I've never gotten a great impression of Little Rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 AM

181 posts, read 297,939 times
The Clampets are gonna shoot yew!

I lived in Tulsa for several years, and still have friends and family there.

I have NEVER heard of what you are saying...ever! Not in NE OK anyway...now, SE OK would be a different story. Some of the poorer country folk down there are pretty rough. But farther north? Generally more populated and not as poor as the south. You would be fine.

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:29 AM

593 posts, read 1,794,609 times
I think I read somewhere that the taxes are cheaper in Arkansas...You might research that info as it might help with making your decision.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:29 AM

Also, I'd be SHOCKED if Okies were not friendly...say it ain't so! Some of the friendliest people in the world, in my experience.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:40 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
That's why I ask questions. You can only learn so much by visiting a few times. You get impressions based on very limited experience. My experience in Tulsa was great. But going through Muskogee was that it was kind of trashy run down. I've heard threads on some of the rural towns in OKLA. that they generally were not safe.

On the other hand, Arkansas experiences were all pretty positive. In fact, One time, I was coming into Berryville, Ark, and my Ford TAurus tranny began to fail. So we limped into the Ford dealer in town. It was about 5pm so we left the car, and they gave us a loaner. So we come back the next morning, and after about 2 hours, we have our car back and running. Turns out it was low on Tranny Fluid. (had just been changed locally). What was the bill. No charge for the loaner, $12 for the tranny fluid. I couldn't believe it. Makes you think, HMM, I may want to move here.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 AM

OH...Muskogee. Yeah. Um...

Wouldn't recommend that town, unless your name is Merle Haggard. Not exactly the prettiest town, nor very cultured or well-heeled. I'd say keep looking around, or just go with AR, if that's where your gut is leading you.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Most places in Northeastern Oklahoma should be fine. Muskogee is a big exception.

Lots of the lake towns are nice, especially around Grand Lake. Bartlesville is very nice, the area around Tahlequah is nice as well. Spring Creek and the Illinois River are really nice. Personally, excepting the resort towns Northeastern Oklahoma is much less trashy than Arkansas.

Also, you can get pretty close to Tulsa and have the area still seem pretty rural. There are some really nice spots in northern Sand Springs up in the hills, and on Lake Skiatook or even Lake Keystone that feel very rural, but are only 30 minutes to downtown. Pretty Water is right on a lake and feels like you are in the middle of nowhere, but it's right between Sand Springs and Sapulpa just a couple of miles west of OK-97, The Creek Turnpike and I-44 and from there you can get anywhere in the metro in less than 30 minutes. Parts of southern Bixby are like that too. Farmland not five miles from Woodland Hills Mall.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
I think I read somewhere that the taxes are cheaper in Arkansas...You might research that info as it might help with making your decision.

Cheaper in OK. I live in OK and my parents live in Bella Vista. I think for living rural but having a lot to do Northwestern AR would be better. Now the Grand lake area of OK is very nice and getting pretty close to Tulsa which would have everything. But the two States are close in taxes, property and all except (not including city like Tulsa) I know OK's property taxes are a little less comparing house to house price.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Cheaper in OK. I live in OK and my parents live in Bella Vista. I think for living rural but having a lot to do Northwestern AR would be better. Now the Grand lake area of OK is very nice and getting pretty close to Tulsa which would have everything. But the two States are close in taxes, property and all except (not including city like Tulsa) I know OK's property taxes are a little less comparing house to house price.
I live in Oklahoma and was shocked at how much property tax is compared to what I paid in California. It's been said that the cost of living is cheaper here, but it isn't. The homes are cheaper, but homeowner's ins. is high due to all the storm damage. My utilities are higher here too...

Old 06-11-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepastorsson View Post
Also, I'd be SHOCKED if Okies were not friendly...say it ain't so! Some of the friendliest people in the world, in my experience.
They might be friendly, but the 1 1/2 year I've lived here I haven't met any neighbors! Everyone stays to themselves and I feel so isolated. We've visited a few churches too where we walked out because NO one talked to us.....Now I've met some sweet people here and the church we're now going to the people are warm and loving...

Oh, and I've had lots of middle fingers shown to me by the nutty drivers here! These people have a death wish with the way they drive. HORRIBLE...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma