Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:40 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times

Advertisements

Opinions on Oklahoma are being made on the Political forum. I know opinions are just that,"opinions".
But just for the hell of it, I challenged one poster to post his latest opinion on Ok over here.
We'll see if my challenge is accepted.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Opinions on Oklahoma are being made on the Political forum. I know opinions are just that,"opinions".
But just for the hell of it, I challenged one poster to post his latest opinion on Ok over here.
We'll see if my challenge is accepted.
There is a reason CD has a "Politics and other Controversies" section... What may be acceptable over there may NOT be in the State section.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:21 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
There is a reason CD has a "Politics and other Controversies" section... What may be acceptable over there may NOT be in the State section.
It's not about politics, it's about Oklahoma.

Besides, he probably won't accept the challenge anyway

Old 09-11-2009, 04:34 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Here I'll accept a challenge... I want to know why you live in Oklahoma? What does Oklahoma really offer?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:34 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Here I'll accept a challenge... I want to know why you live in Oklahoma? What does Oklahoma really offer?
me

for at least one person, that was enough

Old 09-12-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
me

for at least one person, that was enough
What? I didn't ask who wanted to live in Oklahoma, I asked you why you wanted to live in Oklahoma?

It has some of the worst weather in the country. It is tornado alley, it is poor and very little business outside of oil/gas, the terrain is very bland and uninspiring. The humidity is killer, the wind is brutal. It would be nice if Oklahoma had some appealing attributes. But it is no more safe than anywhere else, drug abuse(especially meth) is very high. diversity and culture is low, racism runs high.

When I try to think up a reason to come to Oklahoma. All I can think of is, cheap land and low property taxes. I guess thats why our urban sprawl is insane. Our population density in Oklahoma city is 1.4 person per acre. To put that in perspective, Dallas is at 5.5 persons per acre and New york city is 42.3 person per acre.

Did you know they took a poll on the oKC website about what our next MAPS project should be? The most votes went for building a better mass transit system. But with our population density, do you have any idea how expensive it would be to implement a city-wide quality mass transportation system? It is never going to happen, get used to it. Hell I would be happy with some damn sidewalks.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:18 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
What? I didn't ask who wanted to live in Oklahoma, I asked you why you wanted to live in Oklahoma?
Why do you ask? So you can bash the people of Oklahoma or their reasons? So you can hear yourself whine about various aspects of the state? Go cry in all the states while you are at it, because each state has its own pros and cons.

Quote:
It has some of the worst weather in the country. It is tornado alley,
You don't get out much, do you.
Actually, the winters here have been extremely mild. And this past summer has been very mild. To fellow okies, how many days in triple digits did we have this year? 5? 10? Texas summers are far worse heatwise and they are having drought conditions. (panhandle excluded)

We rarely get much snow and we usually average 2 or 3 ice storms max. And they usually melt within 3 days, the REALLY bad ice storms which are followed by a week of freezing temps are by far worse than snow. Overall, I think the folks in the Dakota's and the north and northeast have much worse winters in general.

As for tornado alley, 90% of the time the weathermen are able to keep the state updated. You seem to be using the concept that because tornadoes hit, the entire state of Oklahoma is unlivable. Whatever.

It is the rain-wrapped tornadoes that happen at night that worry me. Eastern Oklahoma and places like where I live in south central Oklahoma have not had any tornadoes in years. <that's strike two if you're keeping count>

Quote:
it is poor and very little business outside of oil/gas, the terrain is very bland and uninspiring.
There is a site with various lists, . The 2009 Statistical Abstract: State Rankings which shows OK 10th in below poverty line and 27th in unemployment. As for bland and uninspiring terrain. That is a personal opinion and you have come here with a predisposed perception. In other words, you see bland and uninspiring and I see the Creator's voice in Mother Nature. To each his own.

Quote:
The humidity is killer,
Actually, folks who now live in OK who used to live in FL or NJ will tell you different. Our humidity avgs what, 40% versus 80% in other states? Relatively speaking, OK humidity is not bad.

Quote:
the wind is brutal.
Oh, cry me a river. Now you are starting to sound like a victim. Hello? This is the southern plains! It is supposed to be windy! Wind is part of mother nature. But there are far worse places for wind.

North Dakota is the windiest state in the Union with a potential of 1.2 gigawatts followed by Texas, possesing 1.1 gigawats, then Kansas, South Dakota, and Montana, each offering a full gigawatt of potential

NOAA Recorded Average Wind Speed Data through 2001

Quote:
It would be nice if Oklahoma had some appealing attributes.
Maybe if we can convince people like you to leave? You sound like a depressed and negative person. Nothing is good enough for you, and you really come across as an unhappy person.
BTW, no one is going to try and change your opinions on Oklahoma, we just have different opinions on life in general, which includes our work, our family, and surroundings.
Appealing attributes is personally defined and obviously your mind is made up, so let's just say nothing is going to change your mind. I am not going to waste my time.

Quote:
But it is no more safe than anywhere else, drug abuse(especially meth) is very high. diversity and culture is low, racism runs high.
LMAO. As for crime and drug abuse, you have never been to Chicago or L.A., have you? You cannot hold a candle to diversity and culture as I am starting to see a trend to your thought patterns. You make broad sweeping generalizations about life and you choose your limited life experience as the color of choice.

Quote:
When I try to think up a reason to come to Oklahoma. All I can think of is, ...
Stop! Your first mistake is thinking you can come up with a reason for other people to come to this state. You should only think for yourself. And please, go where you will be happy... your preferences (no wind, no heat, no humidity, no inclement weather, no racism, no poverty, etc) may be hard to find.

Every state has its own unique appeal and the people of each state have their own unique reasons.

Some love the coasts, some like the terrain of staked plains, mountains, deserts, etc. Some have family roots and have roots ingrained into them, and they take all the good and bad because it is home.

Some have left home for the bright lights and big city excitement and have returned. Some have unique cultural ties and roots to the land, like me.

Many Americans have great pride in their home, their country, and their roots are permanently bound to the land. To try and convince you about the positives of Oklahoma is a futile cause as I believe you are wedded to unhappiness and choose not to see the beauty that surrounds you.

Have a good one, and please find a home in a state where you will be happy. There is more to life than the P&OC forum.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Why do you ask? So you can bash the people of Oklahoma or their reasons? So you can hear yourself whine about various aspects of the state? Go cry in all the states while you are at it, because each state has its own pros and cons.
Every state has pros and cons, none is perfect you are correct. But when your state has more cons than pros, don't you think you might want to rethink your decisions?

Quote:
You don't get out much, do you.
Actually, the winters here have been extremely mild. And this past summer has been very mild. To fellow okies, how many days in triple digits did we have this year? 5? 10? Texas summers are far worse heatwise and they are having drought conditions. (panhandle excluded)

We rarely get much snow and we usually average 2 or 3 ice storms max. And they usually melt within 3 days, the REALLY bad ice storms which are followed by a week of freezing temps are by far worse than snow. Overall, I think the folks in the Dakota's and the north and northeast have much worse winters in general.
I don't get out much? Why do you think I complain about the weather. While August was very cool this year, a large part of July was pretty brutal. Though it doesn't get as cold here as it does further north, and it doesn't get as hot here as some places further south. I think we have one of the worst mixes of both. Most summers in OKC can push near 110 degrees with 95% humidity, many days in a row. And the winters wouldn't feel as cold except the cold is almost always accompanied by brutal wind. And who wants to live in the Dakota's? If I remember right they had a net loss in population last census along with montana, and I hear they are still losing population.

Quote:
As for tornado alley, 90% of the time the weathermen are able to keep the state updated. You seem to be using the concept that because tornadoes hit, the entire state of Oklahoma is unlivable. Whatever.

It is the rain-wrapped tornadoes that happen at night that worry me. Eastern Oklahoma and places like where I live in south central Oklahoma have not had any tornadoes in years. <that's strike two if you're keeping count>
Tornado's are very unpredictable, while the chances of your house getting hit by one are very small. Theres really nothing that prevents it, theres no where to run. I often wonder what downtown OKC will look like when a tornado the size of the 1999 tornado runs through it.

Quote:
There is a site with various lists, . The 2009 Statistical Abstract: State Rankings which shows OK 10th in below poverty line and 27th in unemployment. As for bland and uninspiring terrain. Wow 27th in unemployment. That is a personal opinion and you have come here with a predisposed perception. In other words, you see bland and uninspiring and I see the Creator's voice in Mother Nature. To each his own.
Below poverty line? The middle class here would be below the poverty line in Connecticut or New york city. Remember, anything you can buy over the internet costs the same no matter what state you live in. And, I can tell by your response that you agree that this state has uninspiring terrain.

Quote:
Actually, folks who now live in OK who used to live in FL or NJ will tell you different. Our humidity avgs what, 40% versus 80% in other states? Relatively speaking, OK humidity is not bad.
Yeah, Florida is humid as hell, but they at least have the Ocean and beautiful winters. I would advise not living there in the summer though. California has almost no humidity and beautiful weather almost every day of the year.

Quote:
Oh, cry me a river. Now you are starting to sound like a victim. Hello? This is the southern plains! It is supposed to be windy! Wind is part of mother nature. But there are far worse places for wind.

North Dakota is the windiest state in the Union with a potential of 1.2 gigawatts followed by Texas, possesing 1.1 gigawats, then Kansas, South Dakota, and Montana, each offering a full gigawatt of potential

NOAA Recorded Average Wind Speed Data through 2001
Who the hell wants to live in any of those states? Texas is the only one thats remotely decent. And while its hotter than Oklahoma in the summer, it has much nicer winters, most of Texas is almost completely safe from tornados, has very beautiful ocean(gulf) beaches, and has far more business/wealth than Oklahoma.

Quote:
LMAO. As for crime and drug abuse, you have never been to Chicago or L.A., have you? You cannot hold a candle to diversity and culture as I am starting to see a trend to your thought patterns. You make broad sweeping generalizations about life and you choose your limited life experience as the color of choice.
Crime sir? You may want to repeal that statement. According to THIS site, LA has far less crime than Oklahoma city per capita. The crime index of Oklahoma City is 565.8, Los angeles is 356.8. And for being the bible belt, we have more than TWICE the rapes per capita those TERRIBLE UNCHRISTIAN liberal people of Los angeles.

Quote:
Stop! Your first mistake is thinking you can come up with a reason for other people to come to this state. You should only think for yourself. And please, go where you will be happy... your preferences (no wind, no heat, no humidity, no inclement weather, no racism, no poverty, etc) may be hard to find.
Not just hard to find, impossible to find. I'm not trying to rip on Oklahoma in general. There are FAR worse states than this one. If I was to rank every state in this country, Oklahoma would be about average. Its not that I hate Oklahoma, because I don't. I think I am just more disappointed with Oklahoma than anything. It used to be the state I loved, it was home. But the more places I see, it has become the perfect example of waste, greed, intolerance, and hate.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:50 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Default What does Oklahoma really offer??

Since the "Chatting thread" is for chatting and not debating I have given this conversation it's own thread. (For now) If it becomes too controversial or heated it will be closed and all participants can return to the PoC. (Where this all began)

Old 09-12-2009, 08:02 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
I ditto everything RB said.

It sounds like only paradise would make you happy, but you know what? The Garden of Eden has been dismantled for some time now. Go on ANY state board and you will read posts similar to yours, only with different complaints.

I've said before to other posters with the same attitude, PLEASE, PLEASE find a place where you will be happy, and stop being so miserable. If, as I guess, no place will suit you, perhaps you need to look inside your heart for the best place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma