Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:23 AM

687 posts, read 2,349,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Ok, I have to say this, only because I use to work with local PD as a Bike Patrol Officer.

If you would do the SPEED LIMIT then you wouldn't need to worry about a speed trap, would you?
But speed traps by definition in towns that use them to make more than half of their revenue are illegal. If you've seen any of these towns, you know that's what they're used for. Tushka for sure, and I would bet Stringtown as well. I've seen people (and myself as well) get pulled over and have the police officer use 2 mph over the limit (of which most urban police officers will tell you a judge would throw out of court every time) to try and either look for something else wrong, or argue with you that if you would just pay the fine everything would be ok. We have two or three communities in OK that got nailed doing stuff just like this.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:52 AM

702 posts, read 2,516,840 times
Add Bernice Ok. to the list of speed traps. The local sheriff sits on that little stretch of highway and will ticket for going only 5 over. I drive through there all the time and he's always sitting/lurking/hiding and always has someone pulled over. Bernice is a bump in the road too, a whopping 500 people.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
Maybe Bernice needs a sign like this. I think Verden used to qualify. But they don't seem to lurk as much anymore.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/police_speed_trap.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-24-2009, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Ok, I have to say this, only because I use to work with local PD as a Bike Patrol Officer.

If you would do the SPEED LIMIT then you wouldn't need to worry about a speed trap, would you?
Only problem is that Kiowa, OK has got some kind of scam going. Either they have their radar calibrated wrong for the purpose of collecting revenue or they are clocking people in the 60 and 70 MPH zone and then stopping people coming out of the 50 MPH zone and giving them a ticket.

I know my speedometer to be correct as I have checked it several times. I was showing 54 MPH and the officer said he clocked me at 62 MPH.

I intend to notify the Attorney General about this matter and hope more people will do so to put a halt to this misjustice.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:02 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,139,353 times
[quote=ionstott06;11769475]Only problem is that Kiowa, OK has got some kind of scam going. Either they have their radar calibrated wrong for the purpose of collecting revenue or they are clocking people in the 60 and 70 MPH zone and then stopping people coming out of the 50 MPH zone and giving them a ticket.

I know my speedometer to be correct as I have checked it several times. I was showing 54 MPH and the officer said he clocked me at 62 MPH.

I intend to notify the Attorney General about this matter and hope more people will do so to put a halt to this misjustice.

Does Oklahoma require the departments to register the callbration on the L.E.A.D.S, Law Enforcement Automated Data Systems. If so, then a good lawyer can request those calibration registrations to prestent in court. And here in Ohio the Officers Must be state certified to do those calibrations. These numbers and test once put into the LEADS, can not be removed or changed. Plus, how old is the system they are using and when was the last time it was sent in for state calibration? Again, a good lawyer would know how to find this information and use that against the department.

I once heard a Judge tell an officer in his court, "Its my job to interpret the law, its your job to infoced the law and its a lawyers jobs to sway the law".
[/i][/font][/color]

Old 11-28-2009, 05:03 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,424,518 times
Living in So Cal 35years I never even got a parking ticket. I move to Oklahoma and 1 week later I get a speeding ticket claiming that I was going 39 in a 35............1st ticket I've ever had

Old 11-28-2009, 06:40 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,524,353 times
Just FYI:

It is now illegal in Oklahoma to drive in the left lane of a four-lane road for any reason besides construction zones, while passing etc.

It is also illegal to pass at any speed below the posted limit.

In other words, unless you're passing someone, don't be a "bumper lane blocker."

Old 11-28-2009, 07:00 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,424,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Just FYI:

It is now illegal in Oklahoma to drive in the left lane of a four-lane road for any reason besides construction zones, while passing etc.

It is also illegal to pass at any speed below the posted limit.

In other words, unless you're passing someone, don't be a "bumper lane blocker."
I'm use to the 5-6 lane freeways in California. The far left lane was the "carpool lane". You had to have at least 1 passenger in order to use that lane.
Out there if you were tuggin" along at under 80-90 mph you best stay in the far right lane.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:10 PM

70 posts, read 284,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound?

That's all fine and good if you even see the speed limit signs.

The Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation, the OK Turnpike Authority and many of the cities and towns in this state are pretty notorious for taking cost cutting short cuts when it comes to installing effective traffic control signs. That includes the installation of speed limit signs that comply with the latest MUTCD manual.

The most common problem is old, out of date traffic signs. The next most common problem is tiny traffic signs. Many communities will save a few bucks installing small speed limit signs meant for a residential street. A wide, four lane highway demands a much larger (and more expensive) sign to be installed. Not only that, but a MUTCD compliant speed limit sign system features numerous signs that clearly warn the driver of the speed zone ahead.

Additionally, I've seen certain cities and town install signs designed by amateur sign designers that don't comply with MUTCD standards. They're using the wrong fonts, at wrong sizes and not even using the reflective materials MUTCD demands.

Let's not leave out the "good old boy network" penchant of small town types to let residents plant trees and build other visual obstructions into the highway right of way. Property line? Utility easement? Forget all that stuff! Plant that big oak tree in a sight triangle and don't worry about blocking the speed limit sign 30 feet to the right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound?
Does Oklahoma require the departments to register the calibration on the L.E.A.D.S, Law Enforcement Automated Data Systems. If so, then a good lawyer can request those calibration registrations to present in court.
All of this is academic when the ticketed driver weighs the cost of hiring a lawyer versus merely pleading "nolo" and just paying off the ticket. Unless you're looking at a really serious fine fighting the ticket in court is going to be a waste of money.

Also, these speed trap towns know full well that a defendant isn't going to drive hundreds of miles back to that town to fight a ticket, much less pay the additional cost of hiring a lawyer to fight it. Worse yet, that speed trap town is filled with the cop's peers, not anyone who is going to be sympathetic to the views of some out of town, long distance driver.

In the end, the only way to really fight the speed trap towns to spread the word about them grass roots style. Those towns get a lot of benefit from travelers stopping to eat, shop and sleep there. Travelers aren't going to be so keen on spending their money in a known speed trap town.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:08 PM

231 posts, read 390,663 times
My only speeding I have ever received was a year ago, in a town called Shamrock, Texas. I was moving out from California. I was on Rte 66/I 40. On Sunday morning, the week before Thanksgiving, I was pulled over for driving 77 in a 65 zone. I had on an OU sweatshirt. I was not aware that the night before, OU beat the hell out of Texas Tech in a football game. There was no way I was getting a warning....he wrote the ticket out in about 30 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma