Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 14,658 times

Advertisements

I am a junior in high school and I want to go to school in Oklahoma. I am from Ohio, and I am from a small town. So I want to go to a college in a small town too, but I also want to have a semi-big town/city close by so I can have places to go like movies, mall, etc. I am going to go to school to be a physical therapist so having a hospital kind of close won't hurt, and also i need a college/university close too. I will also need a job when I go there and I will need either on campus housing or apartments (not to expensive). I want low crime and friendly neighbors that will accept new people in town. I am also a Christian and go to a baptist church so a tight knit church too. I have to find a college kind of close too because I need to start applying and looking for scholarships. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 03:21 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
OSU in Stillwater would be your best choice while being a hour away from two big cities. OU in Norman would be as good, if it isn't too big for you. Finding a Baptist church is easy to do in Oklahoma.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:15 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Oklahoma Baptist University....

Oklahoma Baptist University

Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 PM

Location: Where deer are milk cows and hoot owls are chickens and near where Big Foot is occasionally seen.
105 posts, read 397,497 times
Colleges in Oklahoma offering a degree in Physical Therapy.

Physical Therapy Schools in Oklahoma

After looking at the colleges, check out the community they are located in with Google to research size, job opportunities, etc. You might want to do a mapquest search also to see exactly where in the state they are located and what larger cities are near these places. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:21 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,390 times
One of my daughters went to OKLAHOMA BAPTIST UNIVERSITY and loved it. She is an RN and I know they have physical therapy there.

My other daughter went to OSU but they didn't see to have the medical classes so can't help if they would have physical therapy.

Out of the two as a parent I liked The Baptist University better. I didn't worry about what was happening there and felt the cost was worth it.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
There are only two schools that are accredited for Physical Therapy in Oklahoma they are University of Oklahoma and Langston University.

I would strongly advise you to go to an accredited school.

APTA | Home

It should be said though that Physical Therapy is a Doctor program in the U.S. so really any premed school will work but then for the actual DPT you should go to one of the accredited schools. For Premed go wherever you will get great instruction and small classes to help you do well and get high marks.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:13 PM

My daughter's best friend at Oklahoma Baptist got her 4 year degree in physical therapy and then after that went to a different school in another State for the Master/Dr. part.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:01 PM

17,781 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
My daughter's best friend at Oklahoma Baptist got her 4 year degree in physical therapy and then after that went to a different school in another State for the Master/Dr. part.
She would have gotten a degree in "pre" physical therapy at OBU as they don't have a professional school as has been stated.

OBU is a private school which is expensive but is in a small town close to the city.

As far as state schools are concerned I think USAO (University of Sciences and Arts of Oklahoma) fits your bill perfectly. It is a small school in a charming small town (Chickasha), has an excellent academic reputation for a school it's size and mission, and is only 30 minutes from either OKC or Norman (which will provide you with the big city atmosphere as well as OU's big University atmosphere).

I am a big, big fan of USAO for undergraduate level education. Small classes with very good experienced professors

Old 05-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Well what ever she got at OBU, she went away to another school for acoule more years and has a PHD in physcial therapy so I doubt if OBU hurt her any. Now my daughter received her BS RN at OBU and loved the school. MY OTHER daughter received a BS in Piano Performance at OSU and loved it too so I guess it is who you meet and how the professors are with you. I am sure that OBU is more expensive because I paid like 3 times the price of OSU>

Old 05-10-2010, 02:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegSP2011 View Post
I am a junior in high school and I want to go to school in Oklahoma. I am from Ohio, and I am from a small town. So I want to go to a college in a small town too, but I also want to have a semi-big town/city close by so I can have places to go like movies, mall, etc. I am going to go to school to be a physical therapist so having a hospital kind of close won't hurt, and also i need a college/university close too. I will also need a job when I go there and I will need either on campus housing or apartments (not to expensive). I want low crime and friendly neighbors that will accept new people in town. I am also a Christian and go to a baptist church so a tight knit church too. I have to find a college kind of close too because I need to start applying and looking for scholarships. Thanks in advance!
Coming from the Midwest to the BibleBelt, you'll have tons of Baptist (Southern Baptist mostly, and some Independent/Fundamental) churches to choose from, ranging from quite small to the mega-church.

The other posters gave you very good info/advice on possible schools for a Physical Therapy degree. Oklahoma Baptist University in Shawnee is a top-notch school, which is in a smaller town and meets some of the other criteria you mentioned.

Welcome and good luck as you transition from Ohio to Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma