Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 03:28 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times

Advertisements

Looking for a few thoughts/suggestions on what to do in my situation:

So.... my car tags expire on the 31. The problem is, I do not live in Nebraska anymore. In fact, I am between things right now and staying with family. I am probably moving to Indiana in a few weeks for my new job; however, that is after the 31 (obviously).

What should I do in my situation? I don't want to drive back up to Indiana with expired Nebraska tags and risk a ticket, but I don't want to have to shell out $286 for a new sticker in NE to, only a few weeks later, shell out another $271.25 when I get to Indiana. That's way too much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,609 times
You'll probably have to call the DMV. They might do a 30 day renewal, I'm not sure if Nebraska does that or not. I can't find anything on it, so don't count on that.

But, Nebraska does offer a refund for the unused portion of your registration. So call them up, I assume they will say you have to register. Then once you get your car registered in Indiana you can apply for a refund from Nebraska.

Another possibility is to see if you can register in Indiana over the phone, you can call their motor vehicle department the BMV. If you can do that and have them mail your Indiana stuff that would be golden.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 PM

380 posts, read 1,000,581 times
I just called the Sarpy County Motor department at 593-2148 and asked. They said that they could not do a month renewal. However, like the above people mentioned that once you get moved, you can call them and have them cancel your plates and mail you a refund for the difference of what you haven't used. Now, she did say that it may be slightly different in Douglas County. She said that they may want at least one plate back to confirm that you won't be using the plates. She said in Sarpy county they do not have that policy. They will just mail you a refund when you call and say your done using them. She was VERY nice and polite. I love Sarpy County when it comes to plates and licenses. Douglas county people are so rude. Hell, if you live in Douglas county now, just run over to the Sarpy County DMV and say you just moved into their county and need to register your car. Give them an address that is in there county and you'll be all set!

Now, honestly if it was me...I'd take the gamble. I know that it is wrong and not leagal. But I am super tight on cash right now. If I was in your shoes I would save the money, take a chance and play the "OMG officer I had no idea they were expired!!" I think they give us 30 days anyway don't they??

Old 08-24-2010, 01:53 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Yeah, sarpy county is the best for plates. With us being military, we pay 25 bucks a year for our plates, but when i moved to douglas county, i wanted to use my same plates from my previous car. Previous car was only in my name, new car was in both husband and my name. Douglas county made it a huge hassle, so i just went to sarpy and did it there since I did not change my license over yet

Old 08-24-2010, 03:11 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post

Now, honestly if it was me...I'd take the gamble. I know that it is wrong and not leagal. But I am super tight on cash right now. If I was in your shoes I would save the money, take a chance and play the "OMG officer I had no idea they were expired!!" I think they give us 30 days anyway don't they??
Or the, "I was confused because I moved to Indiana and they said I have 30 days to change my registration, so I thought I was ok for 30 days." Wonder how many times they have heard this. . lol

If you get the fix it ticket, then they've forced your hand.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:56 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Or the, "I was confused because I moved to Indiana and they said I have 30 days to change my registration, so I thought I was ok for 30 days." Wonder how many times they have heard this. . lol

If you get the fix it ticket, then they've forced your hand.

LOL!! You said it pheaton! LOL!!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Thanks so much for the help everyone! I actually lived in Sarpy County, so that definitely helps Brian!

The only thing I hate is having to shell out $286 anyways, be forced to wait for my car tag until it comes in the mail, only to probably turn right around and move to Indiana. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha