Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times

Advertisements

OPS forum told: Cut office staff
By Jonathon Braden
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
« Metro/RegionShare Advertising

The Omaha Public Schools should trim administrative staffing before cutting teachers and classroom support positions.

That was the argument made by two of the handful of people who spoke out Tuesday night at a public forum on the school district's budget.

OPS is projecting a revenue shortfall of $22 million to $26 million, in part because of an expected drop in state money. State aid will be certified by July 1. The district must submit a budget by Sept. 20.

About half of the funding gap is federal stimulus money that will run out.

OPS has a general fund budget of $447 million for the 2010-11 school year.

To start the forum, Assistant Superintendent Dennis Pool walked the audience through the budget. He showed a list of possible areas that the district might slice from, including cutting some paraprofessional positions

more... OPS forum told: Cut office staff - Omaha.com

my suggestions are

days off from school kids have and term limits for OPS board members

in my day, we didnt have veterans day or MLK jr day or Presidents day off from school

and mind u, I am a Omaha North 1998 grad

oh, and how many decades has Drickey and Huston been on the board. term limits, not a almost lifetime position like role on the school board needs to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
How will cutting days off reduce the amount of money spent?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
How will cutting days off reduce the amount of money spent?
I dont know. but it seems like every week in OPS the kids get either Monday or Friday off.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
I dont know. but it seems like every week in OPS the kids get either Monday or Friday off.
I agree...I've got kids in OPS. I'm not sure I follow though on why less days off would reduce spending.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I agree...I've got kids in OPS. I'm not sure I follow though on why less days off would reduce spending.

it wont, but cutting the administration jobs and maybe going from 12 to 10 ops board members would be nice.

Omaha Public Schools - Board of Education - Subdistricts

has maps of the 12 districts. I say merge area 11 with areas 10 and 12.

or merge areas 11 and 5 into one area.

and merge area 4 into area 3

also:

There are warehouses full of unused equipment - sell what is not being used, stop paying rent on warehouses.

Next, stop replacing the appliances in the Home Ec rooms yearly. These are replaced every year with hardly any use and then sold to the administrators for pennies.

A hard core investigation of the OPS budget and it's rampant spending IMO is needed ASAP.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM

btw: time to get rid of the half day school thing.

i say ops either give the kids the day off or make go the whole day. this half day of school nonsense is a joke.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 02-23-2011 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: