Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the best school district in Omaha?
OPS 10 37.04%
Millard 12 44.44%
Papillion/La Vista 2 7.41%
Bellevue 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 PM

300 posts, read 1,180,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGeorge View Post
Not a comment about schools here, but about Celebrity Homes.

One word: DON'T.
Why not? I haven't come across too many bad stories about them. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 PM

124 posts, read 167,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
Why not? I haven't come across too many bad stories about them. Am I missing something?
They use low-end materials, and often do extremely shoddy work. Celebrity homes are about half-step up from a trailer house.

Look closely. Cheap vinyl windows. Low-end shingles. Composite trim instead of wood. The cheapest vinyl siding. Low-end cabinets & cupboards.

If you want to take a good look at a whole group of Celebrity Homes, go to the neighborhood on the NorthEast corner of 72nd St & Sorensen Parkway.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:10 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,767,562 times
I've heard the same thing about Celebrity. I'd rather get a fixer-uper personally though than to waste more materials in building a 'new' house.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
They use low-end materials, and often do extremely shoddy work. Celebrity homes are about half-step up from a trailer house.

Look closely. Cheap vinyl windows. Low-end shingles. Composite trim instead of wood. The cheapest vinyl siding. Low-end cabinets & cupboards.

If you want to take a good look at a whole group of Celebrity Homes, go to the neighborhood on the NorthEast corner of 72nd St & Sorensen Parkway.
Thanks for the tip. I've known people happy with them, but I have read quite a few complaints.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I've heard the same thing about Celebrity. I'd rather get a fixer-uper personally though than to waste more materials in building a 'new' house.
I share those sentiments.

Give me 100 year old house, with a good foundation, any day. I love the solidity, the charm, character and look of the older homes. And if you do the work yourself, they're surprisingly affordable to fix, and can be made to be extremely efficient.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I share those sentiments.

Give me 100 year old house, with a good foundation, any day. I love the solidity, the charm, character and look of the older homes. And if you do the work yourself, they're surprisingly affordable to fix, and can be made to be extremely efficient.
I'm glad that both of you have the time and resources to fix up an older home. My husband and I, on the other hand, do not. We're too busy and don't have the extra funds laying around to work on a fixer-upper . We're choosing move-in-ready because it works for us.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
I'm glad that both of you have the time and resources to fix up an older home. My husband and I, on the other hand, do not. We're too busy and don't have the extra funds laying around to work on a fixer-upper . We're choosing move-in-ready because it works for us.
Actually, you are moving to Omaha at a good time. It's definitely a buyers' market.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 PM

624 posts, read 1,311,208 times
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head. Folks from Millard & Westside LOVE to talk about the drop-out rates at Omaha North & Omaha Central. Sure... And their point is?

The bottom line is that you cannot make kids learn. You cannot make kids want to be in school. The fact that some of these urban high schools have a higher drop out rate than the suburban schools is due to the fact that Mama is a crackhead & Daddy is in prison somewhere. It's not due to the quality of education offered.

A kid growing up in an economically stable two-parent home, that supports the kid, will have FAR more to do with his/her success in life than what school said child attends.
Hey brother, don't hate, I went to Westside. I wouldn't consider it a suburban type school. I graduated recently and it was much more diverse than you probably think. There were plenty of people who didn't care, and we definitely weren't all rich and perfect like how most people think Westside students think of themselves. There were people coming straight out of 50 different countries, as well as many black, hispanic, asian, whatever. Pretty much everything.
It is a rich school, but you definitely don't have to be rich and or white to go there.

And yeah, even at Westside, it didn't matter how good the education you can get there, it only makes a difference if the student cares. Schools are schools, you can get into Harvard going to any school in Omaha.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Actually, you are moving to Omaha at a good time. It's definitely a buyers' market.
We're not moving right now. Brandon still has over a year of college left. Just getting all my information and doing research for when we do.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Hey brother, don't hate, I went to Westside. I wouldn't consider it a suburban type school. I graduated recently and it was much more diverse than you probably think. There were plenty of people who didn't care, and we definitely weren't all rich and perfect like how most people think Westside students think of themselves. There were people coming straight out of 50 different countries, as well as many black, hispanic, asian, whatever. Pretty much everything.
It is a rich school, but you definitely don't have to be rich and or white to go there.

And yeah, even at Westside, it didn't matter how good the education you can get there, it only makes a difference if the student cares. Schools are schools, you can get into Harvard going to any school in Omaha.
I wonder if I adjudicated your Senior Project Oral Presentation.

Honestly, I've done that for years, and I'd tell you how many black kids' presentations I've heard, but you wouldn't like the answer.

Anyway, you're right. You can get into Harvard as a graduate of any of the OPS Schools, provided you apply yourself in the right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha