Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:50 AM

572 posts, read 1,298,704 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the military, and we are relocating out of ND to another place for services for my 4 y/o son, who has moderate to high functioning autism. We have been to Omaha, my son is already diagnosed. We would like to know what services for special needs children there are? What are the waiting lists like? Are there ABA therapists? And what the best school districts are? This city was on the top of the list, but several parents I have met online have really painted a negative picture, so I would like to see if there is anyone with positive information here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
I am not familiar with them but might want to check out the "Autism Center of Nebraska" or the "Nebraska
Autism Spectrum Disorders Network
(http://www.nde.state.ne.us/autism/ - broken link)
"

With all of the medical research and university hospital resources in Omaha I can't imagine there is not tremendous support for disabilities such as autism - but, I may be wrong, I have no direct experience with it.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 8,124 times
Hello, I am a military spouse whose daughter was just diagnosed with HF Autism. We are begining the whole process of EFMP, but waswondering if you were able to relocate b/c of inadequte services in ND or if it was just your time for orders in general? We are currently stationed at Scott AFB, Il (20 miles St Louis) and there is virtually nothing here for Children with Autism including St Louis area (crazy I know, but true) Just trying to get an idea of how hard it will be to get a reassignment for the benefit of our child. Andrews AFB (Baltimore MD)seems to have a great deal of support groups plus the Kennedy-Kreiger school ... not sure of any of this will be a possibily though. Any help from anyone on the subject matter will be great We are in the begining phase of this. Thanks Tara

Old 04-13-2008, 10:23 AM

31 posts, read 144,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
My husband is in the military, and we are relocating out of ND to another place for services for my 4 y/o son, who has moderate to high functioning autism. We have been to Omaha, my son is already diagnosed. We would like to know what services for special needs children there are? What are the waiting lists like? Are there ABA therapists? And what the best school districts are? This city was on the top of the list, but several parents I have met online have really painted a negative picture, so I would like to see if there is anyone with positive information here.
My youngest son was diagnosed with HFA in 2006 (at age 3&1/2). He was actually diagnosed by our school district's (Millard) preschool program, and placed in a special preschool class immediately. They have been very supportive, and he has made great improvements. He will enter a structured Kindergarten class next year (on time!) and will be mainstreamed as much as possible. The teachers have been great and are always willing to comply with my dietary requests for him (He's on the GFCF diet with additional soy restriction). Its pretty great.....now the downside, I have had trouble finding simple things like, support group meetings and other services outside of the services that my school district provides. We don't do separate ABA therapy outside of school, so I'm not sure what services are available. I hope this has helped, and good luck with everything.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
I am bumping this because I am interested on what ABA services there in Omaha and surrounding areas; maybe these folks are still lurkers on the forum and can share what they have found.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:05 PM

5 posts, read 18,027 times
HI, Omaha and Idaho are on the top two of my list for places to move my son is PDDNOS, what is the school system like in Omaha. He is going to Kindergarten this year.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:19 PM

27 posts, read 38,963 times
Bump. I too would like information my son will be four this year.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,437 times
I need to Know if there are any private schools for autism in Omaha Nebraska. I know they started one in Lincoln in 2012 through a non-profit but don't know if it's complete yet. My son is supposed to Be starting kindergarten bext year but mainstreaming is not a solution for children with autism.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisawriter View Post
HI, Omaha and Idaho are on the top two of my list for places to move my son is PDDNOS, what is the school system like in Omaha. He is going to Kindergarten this year.
(2014 Bump)
Hello all...looking again for specific info on good schools in Omaha/Bellevue area for child with PDD-NOS ...lost faith and hope in the OPS system after numerous horrors experienced at Boyd Elementary... just hoping to get insight from parents with children with verbal (expressive) language delays etc.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 4,755 times
Default Natural Therapy Clinic - Pediatric Autism Solutions

Natural Therapy is a holistic therapy center that has a new Pediatric Autism Program. Our social play groups focus on communication, sensory integration, and emotional regulation through play for children 2-6 years old. We also provide direct services and therapy in the home to work on parent targeted goals. We are in search of clients to fill our social play group sessions. Please call 402-884-1300 to set up an appointment or take a tour of our facility. We have many other services available to support children and families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha