Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:40 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,695,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clessers View Post
Sticks and stones might break my bones but words will never hurt me
Thats not true, words leave the deepest of all scars that never heal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 07:48 PM

25 posts, read 130,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
Honestly, unless you live in Millard, I would never send my kids there. There's not enough culture, diversity, and people are superficial. When your kid turns 16 and they don't get a car they will get made fun of. It's all about name brand clothes and who's parents have the biggest house for a house party. I survived going to notorious highschools in Omaha, and I learned alot about life doing so.
I attended Millard West starting in 1998 and graduated in 2000 and this is somewhat true, though not universally. I had a good group of friends who were more into the drama/band/academic scene and we did okay.

However, I grew up from kindergarten through 7th grade in the South (Virginia and Georgia) and Omaha is about the most racist place I've ever lived. Regardless, high school is rough for a lot of people, whether it's gang violence or just teen angst. Difficulty wise, most of the AP classes at Millard West were pretty good preparation for college, for what it's worth.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 PM

536 posts, read 2,155,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophile View Post
I attended Millard West starting in 1998 and graduated in 2000 and this is somewhat true, though not universally. I had a good group of friends who were more into the drama/band/academic scene and we did okay.

However, I grew up from kindergarten through 7th grade in the South (Virginia and Georgia) and Omaha is about the most racist place I've ever lived. Regardless, high school is rough for a lot of people, whether it's gang violence or just teen angst. Difficulty wise, most of the AP classes at Millard West were pretty good preparation for college, for what it's worth.
I grew up in North Omaha and most of the white people in North O aren't racist. My neighborhood was half black & white, interracial marriages and mixed children, some old white people and a couple of crack heads. Not racist at all. As far as the gang I was talking about before, they were a bunch of white kids with shaved heads that wore urban clothing and listened to 2pac but wouldn't kick it with any of the black folk they imitated. So yeah they were pretty racist from what I remember. I think the deep south is still extremely more racist than the midwest or northern south if that makes sense?

All I really have to say about Millard, since I had two cousins and a few good friends that lived there... It's not Omaha and they have no idea about street life what so ever. Im sure if I was a parent i'd want my children to go to good schools, but I would also want them to be in a cultural environment like North, Benson, South, Central or Northwest. If you want to avoid gangs and violence all together, try home schooling. That still doesn't mean your kid wont somehow get in with the wrong crowd, be influenced to join a gang, run away from home, or jack cars.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:30 PM

557 posts, read 1,677,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
I think the deep south is still extremely more racist than the midwest or northern south if that makes sense?
Really? No, it doesn't make sense. Have you actually LIVED in the South? I have lived in all three areas you mentioned, and have to say that there are FAR more racial problems and racists in areas other than the South. There was a klan rally a while back in northern Alabama, and, interestingly enough, most of the klan members came from Indiana. What you are parotting is basically the view of the media and Hollywood, which is a totally inaccurate view.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:11 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,282,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clessers View Post
You can make a choice - send your kids to millard and have them be "picked on" ( which i used to come from a very low income family, and i was never picked on for it ) or the alternative is to get the **** beat outa you a few times and have metal detectors at each entrance.

Sticks and stones might break my bones but words will never hurt me
After the school clock rings, His glock might sing
And leave me cold and lonely

going to central I only walked through metal detectors one time, and was never beaten up... involuntarily. lol

point is, diversity teaches you life lessons that aren't always comfortable, but I find are nessescary, and make you better for them.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,201,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Really? No, it doesn't make sense. Have you actually LIVED in the South? I have lived in all three areas you mentioned, and have to say that there are FAR more racial problems and racists in areas other than the South. There was a klan rally a while back in northern Alabama, and, interestingly enough, most of the klan members came from Indiana. What you are parotting is basically the view of the media and Hollywood, which is a totally inaccurate view.

Maybe the reason for that is that you just spoke to one of several klans and that the south is so well known for racism that those who are racist feel that the south is a haven to be their trashy selves

Old 07-28-2008, 04:35 PM

25 posts, read 130,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Like I said, I've lived in the deep south (Georgia), the northern south (Virginia), and the "sometimes" south (Missouri, as it was a slave state) for a total of 16 combined years and I'll unequivocally again say that Omaha is the most racist city I've lived in.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 AM

300 posts, read 1,180,218 times
Quote:
Thats not true, words leave the deepest of all scars that never heal.
I was going to say the SAME thing Go Ne. I know quite a few abused kids and women. You know what they ALL said? That they rather be beaten everyday then abused with words. In most cases physical wounds heal, emotional and mental wounds do not.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:38 PM

42 posts, read 97,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
I was going to say the SAME thing Go Ne. I know quite a few abused kids and women. You know what they ALL said? That they rather be beaten everyday then abused with words. In most cases physical wounds heal, emotional and mental wounds do not.
... guys ... the point wasnt that words dont hurt ... i was making a ryme off an old child hood saying...

the point was that one person said "send your kids to Millard North and they will get made fun of" so i was saying - send ur kids to those school and they might get made fun of ... send ur kids to the other option and they might end up with a few 9mm lead holes... READ THROUGH THE LINES - or must i hold your hand?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 PM

300 posts, read 1,180,218 times
If they were actually LINES and not a big wavy mess then maybe I could have read through those lines. If you have to explain yourself, I'm guessing that you didn't make your "lines" clear enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha