Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times

Advertisements

I read yesterday in an e-mail newsletter from William Douglass, M.D., that Omaha has the strictest anti-smoking law in the country! In the article, Dr. Douglass mentions that Omaha citizens are actually encouraged to call 911 if they spot any violators of the anti-smoking law. I can just imagine that other crimes will start escalating because the police are too busy catching violators of the no-smoking policies. I wanted to confirm if this is indeed the case, i.e., that the no-smoking policy in Omaha is THAT strict.

By the way, I'm a non-smoker, but feel that if people want to smoke, that's their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 01:11 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,587 times
Default I think he was being sarcastic

being that, the law is oposing on business's rights...

Old 01-27-2007, 11:23 AM

475 posts, read 2,234,883 times
That was simply the result of one individual's 911 comment... and was blown entirely out of proportion (intended to merely underscore that there was now a law in effect... for anyone who had any doubts).

As for the ban... I agree that people should have the right to kill themselves... but not me along with them. And if some government mandated smoking restrictions have the side benefit of improving the health of the general public, perhaps even eventually helping somewhat slow the rise of health care costs... I'm all in favor of it.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Thumbs up Good for Omaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I read yesterday in an e-mail newsletter from William Douglass, M.D., that Omaha has the strictest anti-smoking law in the country! In the article, Dr. Douglass mentions that Omaha citizens are actually encouraged to call 911 if they spot any violators of the anti-smoking law. I can just imagine that other crimes will start escalating because the police are too busy catching violators of the no-smoking policies. I wanted to confirm if this is indeed the case, i.e., that the no-smoking policy in Omaha is THAT strict.

By the way, I'm a non-smoker, but feel that if people want to smoke, that's their business.

Good for Omaha! Now will the rest of the state put something into law?

Those who smoke or violate the law are fined $100, $200, and $500 for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd offense. The person who owns, manages, or operates a public place shall also be fined $100, $200, and $500 for each occurrence.

http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/37412-Smoking%20Ban.pdf

Now that’s interesting. I’m so glad to see this go into effect. I visit the Omaha area from time to time and the most unpleasant thing is to be eating dinner or enjoying a drink and find that someone in the room just has to light up and make the place smell like sh*t. You can’t get away from it, and your clothing smells for hours after you leave the place. People who smoke just don’t understand that it’s their own health and the health of everyone else that they are affecting. Some of the places smelled so bad with the smokers inside that you couldn’t go inside.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:33 AM

Question confused

Why are educated people less likely to be smokers? Does this reflect on our public school system or a why of life style in the family?

Old 01-31-2007, 09:25 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Why are educated people less likely to be smokers? Does this reflect on our public school system or a why of life style in the family?
So I take it you smoke?

Old 01-31-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
So I take it you smoke?

See,,,, that’s what happens when I got caught smoking in the men’s room and thrown out of public school!

Old 01-31-2007, 08:10 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post

The entire state of WA has banned smoking in all public buildings (restuarants and bars included) as of 1 year ago and you're supposed to be something like 25ft from any public building when you smoke. That is pretty strict, but I haven't heard people being encouraged to call 911. Apparently out in Omaha they must not think their police have anything better to do. Lots of cities are going this way these days. It's more of a public health issue then anything...

Old 02-05-2007, 06:18 PM

22 posts, read 120,852 times
[url]http://www.youtube.com/ and type in "Omaha Sucks"
Hopefully this link works for a Fox News "story" on the smoking ban. Take this with a grain of salt though, I would never support or even hint at supporting Fox News for any reason (yeah my liberal side is showing, we are few and far between here in Nebraska). I thought it was more of a joke than anything personally. I do like not having to breathe in second hand smoke though.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10kbluejay View Post
[url]http://www.youtube.com/ and type in "Omaha Sucks"
Hopefully this link works for a Fox News "story" on the smoking ban. Take this with a grain of salt though, I would never support or even hint at supporting Fox News for any reason (yeah my liberal side is showing, we are few and far between here in Nebraska). I thought it was more of a joke than anything personally. I do like not having to breathe in second hand smoke though.
Being Liberal and smoking or not smoking shouldn’t go hand in hand.

A person has the right to smoke all he wants but that “right” ends at the point where others “have” to breathe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: