Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

Mostly though, what bothers me about the perpetuated stereotypes of North Omaha is the idea that the whole area is a ghetto that's overrun by black thugs. And that's just not the case.
Oh I completely agree. It's just that locals refer to the area that is overrun by thugs as North Omaha exclusively in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 11:36 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Oh I completely agree. It's just that locals refer to the area that is overrun by thugs as North Omaha exclusively in most cases.
Yep.

And what too many people are completely ignorant of is the fact that Dundee is, technically, part of North Omaha. That, and many other fantastic neighborhoods.

I suppose one of the reasons we like North O so much is that we love old houses and old neighborhoods. Bemis Park, Gold Coast... Incredible.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:47 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,114 times
Quote:
Yep.

And what too many people are completely ignorant of is the fact that Dundee is, technically, part of North Omaha. That, and many other fantastic neighborhoods.

I suppose one of the reasons we like North O so much is that we love old houses and old neighborhoods. Bemis Park, Gold Coast... Incredible.
It's between a few acres aorund Skyline Drive or Gold Coast if I'm ever able to afford it. I love the homes in Gold Coast.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
It's between a few acres aorund Skyline Drive or Gold Coast if I'm ever able to afford it. I love the homes in Gold Coast.
Personally, I think that whole area is going to boom in the next couple years. Mutual Crossing will bring people and businesses, and other people are going to start realizing what kind of houses there are there.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 PM

119 posts, read 438,708 times
I've learned that any given part of town (South O, North O, West O) is far too big to look at each neighborhood and each person and assume that they fit the generalization that is given for that part of town. Of course, I had a head-start on what I learned by knowing that I myself didn't fit the stereotype for someone in Southwest Omaha. White, yes, but rich? Heck no...probably just on the edge of lower middle class when I was growing up. As I've opened my mind further with new experiences and opportunities to meet other types of people, I've learned that you need to judge each person for themselves rather than pre-judge and try to make them conviniently fit into your own assumptions. Each part of town has pockets of good areas and bad areas. The unfortunate fact is that the bad part of Millard is nothing like the bad part of North O. Because of that proximity that many beautiful, historic parts of North O or midtown have to the bad parts is why I don't chose to live there personally. But I don't hesitate to visit or patronize business that happen to be in those parts of town, unlike many people who live out west.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 PM

119 posts, read 438,708 times
Quote:
Personally, I think that whole area is going to boom in the next couple years. Mutual Crossing will bring people and businesses, and other people are going to start realizing what kind of houses there are there.
I will bet that anyone who has looked at houses for sale (without restricting their search to a specific location) realizes that there are some really beautiful houses there. If I was willing to live in the Florence or Benson area I could afford three times as much house (and it would be unique and historical to boot) as I am purchasing in Bennington. But when my fiance and I first tossed around the idea of buying a house, it was he, who grew up in North O who shot down suggestions for homes in those areas. I told him "I thought you said those weren't bad neighborhoods". He responded that they weren't, but he still wouldn't want to live there and raise kids there, if we had other options available...

Old 06-24-2009, 01:08 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Yep.

If you want to get downright technical about it, "north" Omaha is anything north of Dodge.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 PM

Here is an excellent post from another thread regarding the boundaries of parts of Omaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite eating tree View Post
Benson is Benson. Florence is Florence. Neither are small towns, rather they are neighborhoods that at one time were small towns somewhat west and far north, respectively, of what was once Omaha some one hundred years ago.

Someone already mentioned this, but geographically they are in the quadrant of what is called north (lowercase n) Omaha, but they are not what is considered North (uppercase N) Omaha.

The quadrant is made up of many once-towns. East Omaha, Saratoga, Florence, Benson and parts of Dundee. Yes even parts of Dundee would be considered north Omaha if it was as simple as north of dodge, east of 72nd and we can all agree that Dundee is hardly reminiscent of what people commonly refer to and characterize as North Omaha.

Several neighborhoods dot the area as well, including: Bemis Park, Gifford Park, Gold Coast, Hillside and the very nice (much nicer than most of west Omaha) Raven Oaks.

The Near North Side is what people think of when they talk about North Omaha. This part of town lies within the boundaries of Cuming to Locust and 30th to 16th, more or less.

Benson is a great neighborhood on the southwest side near Fairacres and Dundee, but gets a bit more "rough" north of the Northwest Radial.

Florence is a beautiful neighborhood and quiet. You need to travel through some rough areas to get there, but it's very similar to southern Benson and even the more modest parts of Dundee.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but so many people cut Omaha into these convenient pieces without knowing anything about what they are talking about.

West Omaha is not nearly as congenial and happy as people want it to be and north Omaha is hardly Compton.
//www.city-data.com/forum/omaha...rth-omaha.html

Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
If you want to get downright technical about it, "north" Omaha is anything north of Dodge.
Right.

North of Dodge, but also it's known that East of 72nd is North O as well.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Right.

North of Dodge, but also it's known that East of 72nd is North O as well.
That would be "northeast" Omaha, west of 72nd would be "northwest" Omaha.

I know that you don't commonly hear that distinction, but it's the must correct way to label the quadrants if we're using 72nd and Dodge as the dividers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha