Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 AM

56 posts, read 96,505 times

Advertisements

Our family is moving in April and we have been looking for a rental since our house in Oregon is still forsale. We are country folks wanting to continue to raise our own food, garden, chickens, cow or two, sheep etc. We have looked at Craigslist, OWH and The Independent, where else would I look? Rural properties seem hard to find for rent, does anyone know where we might find something around 1000.00 /mo. We are good people, but don't want to do a neighborhood.

Thanks so much in advance!
mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:17 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,558,418 times
Are you moving here for a job?

If so, (1) about where in town is the job and then (2) how long of a commute to work would you want?

Answers to those 2 will give us a pretty good idea of the areas outside of Omaha that might be a fit, then depending on that might be some leads on where to look.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 PM

Husband is an senior level IT guy. Also an independent contractor. He will be possibly interviewing for a position for a client in Omaha but I have no idea where they are located. We should know next week if they accept him as a candidate.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:17 PM

The location might impact a little where you might look... but here's a quick outline.

If he is going to be somewhat:
  • south in the metro for work then look at either Sarpy or Cass counties for ag land to live
  • west in the metro for work then look at Western Douglas or Saunderscounties for ag land to live
  • north in the metro for work then look at Washington or Dodge Counties for ag land to live
Realizing you want livestock, I'm going on the assumption you do want to be away from the metro, so will put up with a small commute... that's why I listed such a variety of counties to begin looking into.

Here is a quick snapshot from MapQuest that gives an approximate range that I would probably start with... you will see the various county names and the smaller towns that are within them.

A great source for information around a small town is a phone call to the City Clerk or the local weekly newspaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Relocating to Omaha and wanting to raise our own livestock?-ag-living-commute-omaha-job.jpg  

Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the areas. I will keep those in mind once we hear. Would you happen to have the names of the local weekly papers? I will call the city clerk also.
Thanks again

Old 03-16-2009, 10:10 AM

We'll its not just one city clerk... that's just a suggestion once you start to narrow the area you are looking at... would be one clerk for each of the small towns noted...

For a quick start, go to this link: GFWC Nebraska Federation of Women's Clubs (NFWC) select the Contacts&Links page and scroll 1/2 way down... they have a nice list of some of the state's online weekly papers... from their list,
  • these would be in your search area: Ashland, Fremont, and Wahoo.
  • These would be on the far edge, but might know of stuff in your communte: Columbus & Schyler.
  • These are on the edge of the southern edge of the metro so might know of some ag properties: Papillion, Gretna, and Bellevue.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 PM

Wow, that's great David thank you again. We don't mind a commute at all. We are about 40 minutes from town now. We love being outdoors and working to raise our own food. We also love to teach others about this way of living and have thought of providing classes. We are looking forward to getting there and settling in. We have sold pretty much everything and are coming with a 6x10 trailer so renting a small house would work also. I know there are alot of us but we could always do a larger 2 bedroom and take the small room and give the kids the master. Anyway, I am rambling... I will look at the link and start checking papers. Yes, more than 1 city clerk, got it! Thank you so very much. You have been very kind.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:44 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,779 times
Good luck in your search!!! I hope you find the Omaha area a great place to live!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:28 PM

Just a quick update, my husband did get the job and we need to be there 2 weeks from today!! My goodness that was fast! So, now we are trying to find a home with some land quickly. I have posted a want ad on craigslist, does anyone know of homes with acreage for rent? We are a good responsible family with an outside farm dog. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha