Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,770 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are moving out to Omaha, NE this summer for graduate school at Creighton University. We both live in upstate NY and have very very limited knowledge of the area. I have found the Turner Park Apartments (near Dodge St/ Creighton University) and was wondering if anyone has ever been there. What is the neighborhood like? Is that a good apartment complex? I really love the apartment & area but I was wondering how good the landlord is & maintenance (this is not really something you can ask the landlord! lol) Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 04:26 PM

226 posts, read 1,008,131 times
I would not recomend that immediate area, I used to live off of 31st Ave and Dodge and constantly had my car broke into and my stuff stolen. There is a lot of crack around that area esp. on 33rd St between Dodge and California st and that is only blocks from Turner Park apartments. I would recommend living in Bellevue, Council Bluffs, or even La Vista/Papillion and commuting to Creighton. Besides Douglas County will hit you with way more regulations and fees (such as the wheel tax) than the outlying areas will. Plus there is a great freeway system here, you can usually get just about anywhere in the metro is under 25 minutes.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:06 PM

65 posts, read 123,658 times
Not sure about the building, but I think thats a great area. You will be a short walk from Midtown Crossing, a longer walk/bike ride away from campus, and a longer walk/bike ride away from downtown. I went to Creighton for undergrad, lived in that area, and I feel like it is a pretty safe area. Omaha has a limited number of areas with a genuine urban feel. The midtown area around Mutual of Omaha is one of those areas. The previous poster listed a number of VERY suburban areas that are great places if that is the atmosphere you are looking for. Personally that has never been my cup of tea. The only downside that I can see would be that you are going to be right on dodge street and that is a very busy street with fast moving traffic. If that bothers you, there are a lot of other great apartments with character and charm in that general area.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM

124 posts, read 309,183 times
sorry, can't help with the particular apartments either, but I did look at them last year and they're pretty nice, just not in my price range. I actually live like, three blocks away and I've never had any problems with break-ins or anything like that. Also, across the street at Mutual of Omaha there's almost always a cop in the parking lot during the evening, so even if something did happen, help wouldn't be too far away.

There's a gas station about a block from Turner Apts, as well as a Walgreens and Burger King. Plus, they're building this huge like, mall type thing or something (not quite sure what it is yet, but I know there are supposed to be shops and restaurants and stuff) that should bring life and maybe a bit of a better neighbourhood feel to it.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,605 times
It is okay looking. It is affordable but there are roaches you have to deal with. I live there for a year because of my situation I could not live anywhere else. It is clean excor for the pests. But if your not use to living that way I would stay away. The hallways have this strong odor that I can't explain. I do not know if its a mix of paint and mold. You would have to see for yourself. Students get discount and it include most of all utilities which you won't find anywhere. In the end I can't complain except or the pests.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
I've always heard you shouldn't go below N. 45th Street. My grown daughter used to catch the city bus right by Creighton, and I used to worry about her every single time. JMO.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:46 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,678 times
I can't give you specific info on the building, but the area is a place I would live. For me it's about the urban feel and the proximity to the main bus routes. If you want to live by mostly walking or using the bus, this is about the best area for it. Personally I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to live farther east in Omaha than I already do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha