Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:39 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,196 times

Advertisements

The parking situation Downtown is being over blown. If there's one place in Omaha that can handle large amounts of traffic it is Downtown. Nearly 40,000 people work Downtown everyday. 8,000 live down there. That also doesn't take into account visitors to the Old Market and Qwest Center that are sometimes there at the same time.

Currently not everyone that attends events at the Qwest Center parks in the lots anyways. Many people park further from the Qwest and close to a bar or restaurant and then they walk over to the arena. This even goes on in the dead of winter still. The same will happen for CWS attendees. And even if the traffic is terrible (which studies have shown they can actually better control the traffic DT) it will only be for 2 weeks a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 09:01 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
The parking situation Downtown is being over blown. If there's one place in Omaha that can handle large amounts of traffic it is Downtown. Nearly 40,000 people work Downtown everyday. 8,000 live down there. That also doesn't take into account visitors to the Old Market and Qwest Center that are sometimes there at the same time.

Currently not everyone that attends events at the Qwest Center parks in the lots anyways. Many people park further from the Qwest and close to a bar or restaurant and then they walk over to the arena. This even goes on in the dead of winter still. The same will happen for CWS attendees. And even if the traffic is terrible (which studies have shown they can actually better control the traffic DT) it will only be for 2 weeks a year.
Agree that parking is being overblown... if parking was such a critical issue (and deterent) than there is no way Rosenblatt would have survived for 50 years since there is literally almost no parking.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:02 PM

7 posts, read 26,598 times
Smile Fahey

What do you people think of the Recall Fahey? This has just begun and he may be out soon.

Recall-Fahey.com home

I just seen this on the news, and seems possible!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:46 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,196 times
What a load of crap. How can you recall someone for something they haven't done? The very first sentence on that website says Fahey is going to spend $140,000,000 dollars of the people's money.

1. The actual cost hasn't even come out yet.

2. Fahey has said numerous times that a property tax increase is not going to be used to pay for the stadium.

The only way the public would vote on a new stadium is if it actually was the people's money (property tax money) being used to pay for the stadium. What is happening now is what the government is there for. You voted on someone to act your behalf so you don't need to vote constantly. BUT it is also his job as Mayor to do what is best for Omaha. If the Downtown stadium means more development and money for Omaha, then by all means do what is best for the City.

All of these people going around screaming are like lemmings over a cliff.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:46 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,500 times
Yeah, I agree DTO. I really get tired of people instantly wanting to recall leaders who don't agree with them. For god sakes, one side of the argument was going to be upset!! By their logic every time a decision was made a politician would need to be recalled.

I also get tired of the "behind closed doors" rhetoric. What are they talking about? They were in discussions...its not as though its a done deal. This is their job! Do people have access to the mayor's office every time he's trying to weigh different options on all the other issues in the city?? No! The public will have its chance to analyze the plans at the appropriate time. By throwing everything out on the table you simply have a mess. Not to mention that several associated entities (primarily the NCAA) practically required that this stay under raps for the time being.

And the parking issue is phenomenally overblown! Have any of these people been to a Husker game? Besides...parking at Rosenblatt was atrocious!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:34 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
the new stadium would take up 800 parking spaces but 1000 parking spaces would be built within a quarter mile of the stadium. A new stadium would be great for omaha's economy too. It would be another boost for the downtown renissance which we all want to sustain.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,793 times
Default Omaha's "Fahey Stadium"

I am so tired of Fahey skirting around why he truly wants to build a new stadium. Has anyone seen any documentation from the NCAA stating that IF we do not build a new stadium, they will not consider Omaha for another CWS contract? And...has anyone seen anything from them stating that if we do build they will honor another contract? Fahey is shady and indirectly answers as to why he really wants to build a new facility. Think about it. Yes, there will be parking issues if it is built on Quest Center property and would mean that other events should not take place the week of the CWS, due to parking issues and traffic hold-ups around the area. Also, MECCA has not even officially said they'll allow Fahey to build on their property, so why he thinks he has an option right now, I'd like to know. Also, one way he proposes to pay for the thing, in addition to raising OUR taxes, is increase the hotel tax. We already have the highest hotel tax in the country, and I feel this would discourage people from staying at our hotels. Council Bluffs hotels are already licking their chops at the idea of our hotel tax increasing, because this automatically means more business for them. So, does it really make sense for us to help IA out just because Fahey wants to build this stadium "just because'. I say "just because" because if you listen to him carefully, and ignore all of his blabbering, that is really all he's saying. One of his excuses for not remodeling Rosenblatt, is that it is old and why put money into and old stadium. That is asinine, because, the new stadium will need to be remodeled in 60 years just like Rosenblatt, so what are we going to do then? Knock down Westroads to build another one? He's ignorant. I love how he's not listening to the public, being that the public will be paying for HIS stadium. The bottom line is, the new stadium makes no sense. He has given no concrete reason for why it truly makes sense to build a new one. The little weird man just wants this to be part of his legacy (like anyone cares). No one wants "Fahey Stadium".

Old 02-20-2008, 09:10 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,500 times
1. The NCAA has stated that a CWS contract would be much shorter if we only renovate Rosenblatt.

2. MECCA is under the city's control. Technically, the city could disband MECCA. And even if they weren't under the city's umbrella they could take the property via an eminent domain taking, so it really doesn't matter what MECCA wants. Why do you think they're pushing for a "no litigation" clause in their agreement...because they know they have very little legal ground to stand on.

3. Rosenblatt is a dump. You could dump $40 million into Rosenblatt to retain the CWS for 5 to 10 years and still have an outdated relic that would need to be renovated again in 15 years. Or you could spend $120 million now, which would give Omaha a longer term lock on the CWS and it would give the city a brand new facility in the heart of the city.

The NCAA has stated that they want the CWS in an area with more entertainment and more hotels. Rosenblatt can't offer that!

I think the argument by the Rosenblatt zealots is asinine. How can you possibly argue that there is no good reason to move the stadium?? First, the location would be much much better downtown. Second, Rosenblatt needs renovated anyway and instead of continuing to pump money into that hole the city needs to simply build a new facility. Third, the NCAA has REPEATEDLY stated that they want a new facility near more entertainment options and hotels. Fourth, freeing up the space at Rosenblatt will allow the Zoo to expand.

This is really a no brainer.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
1. The NCAA has stated that a CWS contract would be much shorter if we only renovate Rosenblatt.

2. MECCA is under the city's control. Technically, the city could disband MECCA. And even if they weren't under the city's umbrella they could take the property via an ent domain taking, so it really doesn't matter what MECCA wants. Why do you think they're pushing for a "no litigation" clause in their agreement...because they know they have very little legal ground to stand on.

3. Rosenblatt is a dump. You could dump $40 million into Rosenblatt to retain the CWS for 5 to 10 years and still have an outdated relic that would need to be renovated again in 15 years. Or you could spend $120 million now, which would give Omaha a longer term lock on the CWS and it would give the city a brand new facility in the heart of the city.

The NCAA has stated that they want the CWS in an area with more entertainment and more hotels. Rosenblatt can't offer that!

I think the argument by the Rosenblatt zealots is asinine. How can you possibly argue that there is no good reason to move the stadium?? First, the location would be much much better downtown. Second, Rosenblatt needs renovated anyway and instead of continuing to pump money into that hole the city needs to simply build a new facility. Third, the NCAA has REPEATEDLY stated that they want a new facility near more entertainment options and hotels. Fourth, freeing up the space at Rosenblatt will allow the Zoo to expand.

This is really a no brainer.
Great summary and I agree.

I would love it if the UP would come out and say as part of being a great corporate citizen and recognizing the heritage they have with Omaha that they would donate (or sell at a dramatically reduced price) their little bit of land along Abbott by Gallup. Give them naming rights for the area and put up a UP tribute (locomotive outside the stadium) in return. That would create the best of all worlds - but I think its a pipe dream.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:46 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,716 times
Default Changed mind?

I'm just wondering if anyone has changed their mind based on the most recent stadium information. Mine hasn't, I still support the new stadium. Maybe even more now that it will benefit the zoo by allowing them to expand on the Rosenblatt property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha