Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 AM

5 posts, read 10,287 times

Advertisements

I've been gone a few years now, and have been living in cities much different than Omaha. I pretty much grew up in west O, then moved downtown, then left. I'm seriously not excited about being back for next winter, and having to drive a lot again. I felt like I saw the light. Bike lanes, lots of recycling, superb hiking, blah blah blah. Now I find myself moving back for various important reasons. Anyone else been in a similar boat? Is Omaha really that bad? Is it just me or is the city just behind the times? What gives?

.......just venting i 'spose. Don't really have anyone else to talk to so intensely about issues without offending current Omaha family with their lack of understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTheOcean View Post
I've been gone a few years now, and have been living in cities much different than Omaha. I pretty much grew up in west O, then moved downtown, then left. I'm seriously not excited about being back for next winter, and having to drive a lot again. I felt like I saw the light. Bike lanes, lots of recycling, superb hiking, blah blah blah. Now I find myself moving back for various important reasons. Anyone else been in a similar boat? Is Omaha really that bad? Is it just me or is the city just behind the times? What gives?

.......just venting i 'spose. Don't really have anyone else to talk to so intensely about issues without offending current Omaha family with their lack of understanding.

Well I doubt this would be the place to vent about dreading Omaha. We all live here and most of us like it.

How about this, the good things about Omaha are the total lack of vegan, Hippie, B.S. No pesky cyclists clogging city streets. No guilt about throwing away your trash. It's really pretty nice.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 AM

Thats funny, i've found constructive feedback in other States' forums. Also funny considering i'm actually stoked for the more abundant Bison meat availability and hunting. Thanks, my time back will be limited. I guess I don't want to screw up the delicate balance that are Midwest values...

You can ride a bicycle, eat vegetables, hike, and recycle and ............get this:

Not be a hippie. Go figure.

Last edited by IamTheOcean; 03-04-2010 at 07:44 AM..

Old 03-04-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Thats funny, i've found constructive feedback in other States' forums. Also funny considering i'm actually stoked for the more abundant Bison meat availability and hunting. Thanks, my time back will be limited. I guess I don't want to screw up the delicate balance that are Midwest values...

You can ride a bicycle, eat vegetables, hike, and recycle and ............get this:

Not be a hippie. Go figure.

I apologize there's no reason for me to be sour this early in the morning. I'm always a little testy the day after I have night class.

I hope you enjoy Omaha I honestly don't see any reason you shouldn't find what you are looking for here. Omaha is large enough there is something for everyone here. Sure there are plenty of people who aren't down with veggies, bikes, and recycling. But I for one placed my recycling on the curb this morning. Just keep an open mind, you'll find your place.

But come on, honestly, you're a hippie right?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:02 AM

I suppose i could call them "hippie tendencies". Sort of like I want to be an archery hunter first and a gun toting, orange clad, tech equipped hunter second. In time, probably will have moved on through Omaha by then though.

You mean theres no snow in the way? Must be having some good weather!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I suppose i could call them "hippie tendencies". Sort of like I want to be an archery hunter first and a gun toting, orange clad, tech equipped hunter second. In time, probably will have moved on through Omaha by then though.

You mean theres no snow in the way? Must be having some good weather!

I think we are done with large snowfall until next winter. As I'm sure you know, Spring is a good time to be in Nebraska.

Last edited by dsrich98; 03-04-2010 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: veggie burrito fell on the keyboard

Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Alright, alright, alright...

I'm kind of a morning person, have been up since 6, and have plenty of coffee in me - so I'm not cantankerous like "somebody" here.

IamTheOcean, I'm not sure what you're looking for here. If you compare Omaha to another city you really like, especially a city by the ocean in a southern climate, you're probably going to hate Omaha.

Having lived here yourself, you know that we get snow and cold. This winter has been brutal and we've gotten a LOT of both (makes me think I'm back living in Minnesota again). But as I type, the sun is shining, it has been in the upper 30s all week, and it's supposed to be in the upper 40s for another 5-6 days. It's early March, and it if this weather pattern holds, we will not have much snow on the ground in a week.

Culturally, Omaha just is what it is. I think you're going to find it to be more homogeneous in the western suburbs - more of a prototypically white middle-to-upper class suburban feel, with home-owners' associations & fancy strip malls. I suspect that people there pay a little more attention to each other's houses and cars than in the older east part of Omaha.

For the most part, unless you're in Dundee or Gold Coast, most of the eastern part of Omaha will be lower income people of all races, backgrounds, with smaller houses & yards, and more variety from neighborhood to neighborhood. Some people (such as me) love that, some hate it.

There are all kinds of outdoor and indoor things to do in and around Omaha, depending on what you're into. Drive half-hour in any direction and you're into rural areas. There are concerts (pretty much) every week at the Civic Auditorium, QWest Center, Mid-Am Center (Co Bluffs), etc.

Basically, Omaha just is what it is - just like every other city. You're going to love it or hate it based on whether you want to love it or hate it.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 AM

48 posts, read 103,667 times
I moved back to Omaha after living in San Francisco, Chicago and Madison and at the time I was not looking forward to the move. After three years here, I can honestly say that, overall, I prefer Omaha. The low cost of living has allowed me to travel the world, buy a decent size home, and take on interests that I would not have had the time or money to take on in those bigger cities. There are things that I gave up (I used to be a rock climbing guide and rafting guide). But, I took on new intrests that are just as important to me when I arrived back in Omaha. There are also all kinds of people in Omaha. I also recycle and ride a bike - dont fall prey to the stereotype that everyone in the midwest is a simpleton. The city has changed significantly in the last 5 -10 years. When I left 10 years ago the downtown was dead and getting worse. It has seen a resurection with new impressive building. It feels good to be a part of that change whereas in a big city, or many of the smaller trendy cities, I would just be another guy assimilating to what is already the established culture.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,984 times
IamtheOcean, are you coming from the West (/Coast)? I can assure you that most people in the Mid-Atlantic (where I live) have no more interest in recycling than do residents of Omaha. In fact, Reagan National Airport in DC/Arlington, VA doesn't even have recycling facilities inside (by its restaurants, etc.). I was shocked. My old landlord (in a quintessentially 'Jersey' sort of accent) once told me that people living on the East Coast "don't got time to recycle."

In fact, I AM a hippie (of a sort), and I found my hippie lifestyle a thousand times easier to lead in the various places I lived in the dreaded 'Midwest' (yeah, including Omaha - haven't been there since I was a kid, but I've visited quite a few times in the meantime) than where I live now.

Get this - I don't even have a driver's license!! All I have is my Specialized Rock Hopper (it's hard to get to good trails from here, too ). I think you'd be downright shocked at how non-progressive (culturally, that is - I'm not getting into politics, here) people on the *swooooon* East Coast are. I do dearly love the West, though.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:37 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,749 times
Quote:
I'm seriously not excited about being back for next winter, and having to drive a lot again. I felt like I saw the light. Bike lanes, lots of recycling, superb hiking, blah blah blah. Now I find myself moving back for various important reasons.

LOL - The city will actually come to YOU to pick up your recycled goods. What else would you like??

It's not like every neighborhood has it's own little candy factory with little Oompaloompas converting all your discarded cans and bottles into skittles and rainbows.

Welcome back! Bwuahahahaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha