Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The median income in Orange Country is over double of those in your swamp land.
Ah, Butt Shark, Jr. But that's OK. Luckily for you the Legislature hasn't yet outlawed ignorance. Rivers, streams, springs, lakes, reservoirs, yes. Swampland, hardly, and none in the Ozarks. The Mingo Swamp is the last bottom-land hardwood swamp in the state. It's in the Bootheel (SE MO) and down from 2.5 million acres to about 15,000.

You don't have to thank or pay me for the education! Happy to be of service!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,630 times
Quote:
Well, you can do whatever you want with your money. But what is the point of deriding someone for buying an expensive car? You are merely assuming that because they live in an apartment they don't have money, but this assumption is a bad one.
I never indicated that I was assuming they didn't have money; they obviously do. I'm just questioning as to whether it's wise to spend your money on a $180k consumer good that will be worth $80k in a few years.

Now, an assumption of mine that could be wrong is that the car is actually in the guy's name; it could be a company car or something, in which case I obviously need to work for that guy's company.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You don't have to thank or pay me for the education! Happy to be of service!
You're too easy.. But good job reacting defensively against the "swamp land" part of the post while ignoring the actual point.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
I never indicated that I was assuming they didn't have money; they obviously do. I'm just questioning as to whether it's wise to spend your money on a $180k consumer good that will be worth $80k in a few years.
Is it wise to spend $20k on a car when you make $60k/year? People aren't buying cars for an investment, they are buying them as a consumable item (although some cars are actually an investment). If someone has plenty of money, why is it unwise to buy a $180k car? Should they only purchase investment goods?

But, few people are driving around $180k cars. BMWs and Mercedes both start at around $30k.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Is it wise to spend $20k on a car when you make $60k/year? People aren't buying cars for an investment, they are buying them as a consumable item (although some cars are actually an investment). If someone has plenty of money, why is it unwise to buy a $180k car? Should they only purchase investment goods?
A $20k car is still pretty much basic transportation, so in this context, it's not unreasonable on a $60k salary. If we extrapolate this to a $180k car and a $600k salary, then the question becomes not "why does he have that car", but more like "why does he live in a $2k/month apartment". You're right; people have the right to spend their money as they see fit; I just don't imagine many people at that salary level living in my apartment complex.

Quote:
But, few people are driving around $180k cars. BMWs and Mercedes both start at around $30k.
The car that I spotted at my apartment is an SL65; a top of the line model priced at $180k.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
The car that I spotted at my apartment is an SL65; a top of the line model priced at $180k.
In this day-and-age, even in my old home of Orange County, my concern would be less about how much the car cost and more about how long I'd have to walk out to find an empty parking space.

Times have changed. Sad but true!

Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
the question becomes not "why does he have that car", but more like "why does he live in a $2k/month apartment".
I thought the question was "Is he getting laid more often to justify the expense of that vehicle."

You know he must be a rich guy:

Old 08-24-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In this day-and-age, even in my old home of Orange County, my concern would be less about how much the car cost and more about how long I'd have to walk out to find an empty parking space.

Times have changed. Sad but true!
well at least we have assigned parking. my brother's Irvine Co. apartment has one better: a detached one-car garage! SIL needs to drive around for an empty space, though.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
A $20k car is still pretty much basic transportation, so in this context, it's not unreasonable on a $60k salary. If we extrapolate this to a $180k car and a $600k salary, then the question becomes not "why does he have that car", but more like "why does he live in a $2k/month apartment".You're right; people have the right to spend their money as they see fit; I just don't imagine many people at that salary level living in my apartment complex.
The point was that people with more money typically do not send any more on cars in relation to their income than people with less money. The $20k car is not just "basic transportation", a used car in the $4~$5k range would provide the same function at a much lower cost.

There are many reasons why someone with a lot of money would rent an apartment. Perhaps, they are only in OC a few months out of the year.

Quote:
I find it a bit funny that the people that critique others car purchases happen to know so much about the price tags of various cars. Your comments speak more of envy than anything else.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I thought the question was "Is he getting laid more often to justify the expense of that vehicle."

You know he must be a rich guy:
Or her baby brother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County