Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:42 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,946 times

Advertisements

oooh boy! did i ever have a experience in this town! On a recent visit to stay with family who live on la mirada street my stepbrother and I decided to go down the hill to hit all the bars. It was a damp night and a very toxic smell in the air that made me feel uneasy. I pushed the feeling aside and tried to forget about it. As we drove down glenneyre street we made a left in to what appeared to be a little slummy neighborhood above a chevron station. As we found a parking spot and i opened the car door there was a quick scattering sound next to my feet and movement in all directions like i interupted something. I slammed the door and looked out to see maybe 100 fat juicy slick cockroaches swarming over a discarded kfc chicken box and running up the telephone pole. Totaly skieved out we drove out of the slum and parked next to a church way up the street. Walking down to the bars on PCH I kept on smelling that toxic smell but now there was a scent of turds also in the breeze. As we walked south the smell of Kaka got stronger and more powerful. Come to find out there was a recent sewage spill that spewed out close to 100 thousand gallons of raw poop on the streets. What really sucked is that since I have nasal problems I have to breath out of my mouth a lot of time. the sticky turd smell attached itself to my tongue. I drank shots of vodka at the piper and felt a little better until we went back up the hill to la mirada street. As I was laying on the couch trying to sleep I started to hear this scurrying hopping noise on the roof. Hop Scuffle hop scurry hop What the hell is that? Step brother tells me the neighborhood has packs of roof rats because the houses are so close to each outher. WOW definitly not the socal experience people think of. What a trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 05:51 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,843,104 times
This is officially the first negative thread I've seen on Laguna Beach. Sounds nasty... gald I live in LA.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:20 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
This is officially the first negative thread I've seen on Laguna Beach. Sounds nasty... gald I live in LA.
like LA is any better.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
There are no slums in Laguna. There are areas that are less nice. You were probably looking at million dollar homes (as opposed to 2 million dollar homes elsewhere in the city).

The roaches or waterbugs appear everywhere this time of year. Not jsut Laguna. They come out of the storm sewers at night and fill some streets. It is icky. Many people do not realize that they are there, because they do not see them. It is rare that you see them from a car, but if you go for a walk - yuck! Sometimes it looks like the entire street is moving.

Roof rats are also everywhere. They eat avacadoes and travel along power and telephone wires. They live in attics. They really like palm trees too whether for homes or for food I do not know. Few towns do not have them unless they have no avacado trees or above ground wires. Get a couple of large cats. They will eat the rats and the bugs.

Ont he plus side flocks of wild parrots also appear in many areas this time of year. They are really neat althought noisey. Surprisingly, I have never noitced a huge mess from them, Parrots are very desctructive.

The smell that you noticed may have been the low tide smell. At low tide some areas of shoreline have a smell that some people describe as a sewage smell, some describe as kind of a tar smell and others describe as pleasant. Maybe it really was sewage, but Laguna is a very wealthy town and it is unlikely that they woudl leave such a mess for more than a day or two.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:52 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,759,649 times
South OC is/was rural wetlands and/or wilderness. Newport Coast, Laguna Beach, Aliso Viejo, etc are all encroaching on lands that are full of wildlife. Rats, snakes, etc are common depending on the terrain. You just need to close off any entry points into the home and maintain your property.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:07 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,843,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
like LA is any better.
I haven't seen any rats or sewer bugs!

Old 05-02-2008, 04:49 PM

27 posts, read 101,165 times
A couple of days ago they had a major sewer line rupture, had to close the beach, I was down there today and the stench still lingers a bit. Laguna is old so yes they have rats, i have seen some honkers running up the sidewalk or along a fence at night. Everything from Irvine,Lake Forest, Rancho Santa Margarita, MVJO,etc. washes down to them and the moist conditions are prime for roach breeding, so told to me by a city worker. I like it though its a nice place to go hang out for a day.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:53 PM

198 posts, read 354,473 times
It is cool to hang out in Laguna Beach, but I can't for the life of me see why anyone wants to live there...unless they can afford one of those gorgeous places on the coast and have all their eartjhly needs catered by others.

The other folks buy humungously expensive crappy littly houses, and they put up with the worst traffic conditions in the county. In the summer you can't drive to a local hang out to get a muffin and coffee....no parking places and the traffic holdups are prohibitive.

I love to visit Laguna Beach and play there...I live six miles inland from the place, but there is nothing that could ever get me to move there. Waayyyy too much traffic and the costs really aren't that much of a value.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,598 times
LOL!
"Slums" in Laguna Beach??
Next thing I'll here is that Stockton or Sacramento is paradise!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
LOL!
"Slums" in Laguna Beach??
Next thing I'll here is that Stockton or Sacramento is paradise!
Now, I believe there ARE a few houses there under $1M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County