Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:34 PM

104 posts, read 224,538 times

Advertisements

We are going to be house hunting soon and instead of going to chain resturaunts/ fast food joints, I'd like some suggestions on where to stop for lunch/dinner while in town (and for when we move there).

We'd like to spend a day on the beach while there, which beach should we visit for one day and where to eat at that beach? Dana? San Clem? Somewhere in the middle?
(kid friendly, not over crowded, close to parking and walk to food)
When does it get too cold to swim in the ocean in a swim suit in the fall?

Where to eat everywhere in OC, south of Irvine (not including Irvine unless it is the BEST FOOD EVER.)

Categories:
-Japanese (not hibachi but menu style)
-Chinese (buffet style)
-Korean bakery or resturaunt
-Nice Mexican (are there any tex-mex in SO CAL, weird question I know, but just curious.. not even a huge fan of tex-mex, just thought it's be funny)
-Nice Italian
-Nice Seafood
-Pizza delivery (local, not pizza hut, etc) (what style pizza is it, chicago, NY?) (do they have other foods there too (wings, wraps)
-Frozen Custard, pie shop, cupcakes, etc...
-Sports bar/wing place (loud and fun with great wings and plenty of beer selection on tap)
-Best movie theater (our favorite here has a bar inside you can take the bar food and beer into the movie)

When I say "nice" I mean, the atmosphere is relaxing, the food is quality...

Club/ area for a mid 20's married couple to go to on a date, not looking for hookups or a lot of drunk people, safe, no drugs.

Is it hard to find parking anywhere? Is it metered parking, parking garage, on the street? Do a lot of people use cabs or bus or drive everywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 11:31 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,773,158 times
Wings: Wingnuts(full scale sports bar) and Original Buffalo Wings(small place, but they serve plenty of beer and have unlimited wings on Tuesday)
Mexican: Taco Mesa (routinely on the best in OC list for mexican food from various county publications). Not much Tex-mex here, people favor traditional Mexican, fresh Mexican, and fish tacos. Spoons converted to a Tex-mex menu a while back, but they're pretty much all out of business as far as I know.
Movie theater: No more 21 over theater(ie: booze selling). Only one closed last week(Gardenwalk).
Best beach down that way: Crystal Cove
Pizza: First Class Pizza (style? I dunno. Pizza.). Ameci's is real good, too.

And what's wrong with eating in Irvine? Someone there insult your mother?

Last edited by bhcompy; 08-21-2010 at 11:40 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
And what's wrong with eating in Irvine? Someone there insult your mother?
As I said, I am house hunting. I want to stay local to the houses we are looking at.

I have heard of Ameci's Pizza. I'll have to give that a try first!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Last edited by angirocks; 08-22-2010 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 08-22-2010, 09:09 AM

286 posts, read 640,361 times
Best Chinese in Socal is China Garden off Jeffery at Walnut. Close to the 5 freeway exit.

Not buffet but some of the best Chinese I've ever had (and my wife's Chinese) and I've been to many Chinese in Socal and LA county.

There's also a tea shop (boba) in the plaza behind China garden.. Look for it.. it's nice.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:33 AM

I forgot to ask, also:
-Middle eastern (lebanese, afghan) sit down and take out.
-Irish pub

Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
The best Lebanese food on planet earth is the Shawarma plate at Pappa Hassans' in Orange near Chapman University just north of the circle. It is a little hole in the wall place, but the food is fabulous and the people are wonderful.

That is an Irish pub in old town Orange as well. It is within a block of the circle. It is nothing special just an irish pub. My favorite two irish pubs are the one next to the big threater at fashion island and the one at the base of the balboa peninsula in newport beach . I cannot remember the names of any of them.

Does Thai food count? Opassos in Balboa is pretty good. Not the best ever, but good and easy to find. I have not been there in a while, it may be gone. Resturaunts tend to disappear frequently down there.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,856,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My favorite two irish pubs are the one next to the big threater at fashion island and the one at the base of the balboa peninsula in newport beach . I cannot remember the names of any of them.
The Irish Pub near the theater in Fashion Island is called Muldoon's and it's freaking awesome. The food is fabulous and the setting is awesome.

V. =)

Old 08-23-2010, 01:55 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,016,494 times
I love Muldoons, even though I once had bad fish and chips that made me sick for 3 days and swear of fish for two years.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
The Irish Pub near the theater in Fashion Island is called Muldoon's and it's freaking awesome. The food is fabulous and the setting is awesome.

V. =)

It is awesome, but eveyone nows about it. Impossible to get a seat on Friday or Sat Nights. I was only able to get in sometimes because a friend of mine knows the owner and he pulled some strings. Otherwise, you wait and wait and wait. If you can get in, it is great to get dinner, a coule of beers and then go see a movie on the big screen.

The funny thing is that this Irish pub is owned by a Jewish lawyer. Or at least it was. You gotta love Orange Couty. It is truely a melting pot of cultures.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:34 PM

104 posts, read 376,386 times
For breakfast try either Paul's Pantry in Mission Viejo or if you are there on Sunday go to the El Torito Grille brunch in Fashion Island. It's not mom-and-pop but the food is really great.

Also would recommend Inca Mama's (Peruvian) in Foothill Ranch or Aliso Viejo Towne Center for dinner.

If you want Chinese buffet you can try "Dragon Buffet" in Lake Forest, the lunch price is under 10 bux and the variety is immense (includes soda).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County