Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Happening at just about all school districts in the US.

Now, here's something to think about. I have three kids in Capistrano Unified School district. (We're new to the area.) At the recent parent teach conference, the teachers explained that nowadays it is around 30 kids per class and only a few years ago it was 20 kids per class. That sounds horrible.

However, "when I was a kid" it also was around 30 kids per class. It almost seems like the low student teacher ratios of a few years ago were a relative luxury and reverting to 30/class is more the norm. (Go look at your class pictures from the 60s, 70s, or 80s.)
Growing up in Garden Grove I don't think we ever had a class below 30 in the 90's. I was in fourth or fifth when reduced class sizes came into play. The schools now are much worse with smaller classes than they were when I went there. My dad's schools here in La Puente had around 40 according to him. Oh yeah, some of my high school classes had close to 40 I think. I had a couple teachers comment on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:34 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
I grew up in the Irvine schools in the 80s and 90s. I don't remember ever having a class less than 30 students.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
Quote:

For example, why are Irvine parents more involved?
Over inflated egos.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:00 PM

42 posts, read 101,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Also, be careful not to confuse correlation with causation. The kinds of parents who have good students get involved with the schools just like the kids of parents who read good books do well. The involvement and the books in and of themselves are irrelevant.
Okay then.....so what is relevant as it relates to the Irvine School District? Please try to either cite your sources or have first hand experience.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:55 PM

964 posts, read 2,648,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Over inflated egos.
Sounds like a bad thing.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:12 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnd View Post
Okay then.....so what is relevant as it relates to the Irvine School District? Please try to either cite your sources or have first hand experience.
Two books I would recommend that will give you some good perspectives are Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and The Big Sort by Bill Bishop. Seems pretty simple: where you have an area of highly educated parents you're going to have good students. It has little to do with the schools and everything to do with the parents. You could bus the kids to CUSD or one of the other districts around there and see the same results.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
The schools are the only reason to live in Irvine proper (whether you have kids or are a UCI student without a car.) Otherwise, better to live in the nicer but cheaper areas in Tustin, Costa Mesa, or Santa Ana bordering Irvine.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a bad thing.
That depends on perspective. Irvine is full of image conscious Jones types. I'm sure they love it.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
That depends on perspective. Irvine is full of image conscious Jones types. I'm sure they love it.
And that correlates to parental involvement (which is a "good" thing)?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
And that correlates to parental involvement (which is a "good" thing)?
Only because Irvine parents treat their children's accomplishments like a disposable good. If you consider peer pressure to perform at the risk of being part of a dissociative group a good thing, then I guess yes, that could be potentially perceived as something "good".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County