Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM

745 posts, read 1,284,650 times

Advertisements

GATE means very little in grades 1-3 other than harder spelling and math lists to take home. My child is in GATE and has a great teacher and still complains about being bored, and she's no genius. No matter how good the teacher is, they can hardly give special attention to one child when they're focused on teaching the CA standards to 29 other ones. The upside to being in GATE is your child is guaranteed to get the "better" teachers, or at least ones that are better qualified.

If you want to dig deep on scores and performance and the real numbers, DataQuest (CA Dept of Education) is the best resource on researching the schools in the district your child will be able to attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 11:58 AM

18 posts, read 32,933 times
Thanks--I will look into it! It's a shame that our public school system is not what it used to be and not given the attention it deserves...

Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciapeet View Post
Thanks--I will look into it! It's a shame that our public school system is not what it used to be and not given the attention it deserves...
Actually, it is what it used to be. Class sizes of 20 are the exception.

I was at my 1st grader's parent teacher night a couple weeks ago and the teacher said there two or three years ago there were [something like] 22 kids in each class, now there are [something like] 30. Look at any class photo from the 60s, 70s, or 80s and guess what? They all have 30+ kids in them.

Also, our public school system is a reflection of what the politicians elected by the voters want. If you have a "Vote No on Yes" community, you'll have "Vote No on Yes" schools.

I just wrote two checks for something like $280 each for two of my kids to have after school extracurricular math and science activities

Capistrano Adult and Community Education: Home Page

Old 01-11-2011, 12:34 PM

I'm also wondering if private schools are the way to go for a better education--I was a product of public schools but times have changed and it just seems like the schools are all going downhill. I wonder if the declining enrollment is also a small result of unhappy parents of the current education system.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Interesting to see the class sizes were large back then! I'll have to go back and look at my 1970's elementary class photos and count them....so then are the teachers just less qualified or are we lacking as many resources--what explains why kids are not excelling at the level they should--why are kids bored and not challenged at higher levels--this is a common complaint I have heard personally from bright kids (in the Irvine elementary schools too!!) as well as from parents.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
I'm also wondering if private schools are the way to go for a better education--I was a product of public schools but times have changed and it just seems like the schools are all going downhill. I wonder if the declining enrollment is also a small result of unhappy parents of the current education system.
If your local government (public) schools suck, then go to private schools. Most of the schools in Saddleback and Capistrano don't suck so why spend the money and alienate your kids from the neighborhood kids? (I went to private school for 13 years. My kids now go to government schools.)

Also, many private schools include the brainwashing of religion.

Declining enrollment is probably more likely due to demographics changing (just a guess - I didn't verify it.) Often a neighborhood and schools are built and in them are new families with young kids. Twenty years later those kids are off at college and that neighborhood doesn't have the same proportion of grammar school aged kids. In fact, some districts (Oak Park in Ventura County) actually recruits kids from other districts because the demographics of Oak Park changed from one with lots of kids to one with a medium amount of kids. The district needs kids to get state dollars.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 PM

166 posts, read 380,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
GATE means very little in grades 1-3 other than harder spelling and math lists to take home. My child is in GATE and has a great teacher and still complains about being bored, and she's no genius. No matter how good the teacher is, they can hardly give special attention to one child when they're focused on teaching the CA standards to 29 other ones. The upside to being in GATE is your child is guaranteed to get the "better" teachers, or at least ones that are better qualified.

If you want to dig deep on scores and performance and the real numbers, DataQuest (CA Dept of Education) is the best resource on researching the schools in the district your child will be able to attend.

Agree! Particularly with this quote "No matter how good the teacher is, they can hardly give special attention to one child when they're focused on teaching the CA standards to 29 other ones." Which is a politically correct manner of saying that trying to teach too many children of too varied levels of academic accomplishment within a single classroom setting = an overwhelmed teacher and a negative learning environment. I am not saying the teacher is making the environment negative rather I am refering to the issue of trying to meet too many needs in a single classroom setting.

The issue can be addressed with varying success by academic levelling, i.e. AP classes. And, the more levels that you can create the higher the success rate .. academically. Keeping the core classes academically integrated begins to address the social concerns that tend to arise from the levelling but as well tend to create some new social & additional academic concerns. Vicious cycle isn't it?

School woes directly reflect societal woes. Lack of parental involvement due to demographics; single parent households; dual parent households yet both parents are so heavily involved in earning a living they have no time or energy left to take an interest in their children's school lives. Sure they can try to live on less but then they will no longer be able to afford to live in those nice neighborhoods with the best schools. Gee, there is that vicious cycle again.

We can continue these cycles thoughout the various factors of our society. What to do? What to do? My belief is that it all begins with personal resposibility. No more making excuses, even those excuses that are rightfully justifiable. Excuses do not get the job done.

Now if you will 'excuse' me I will step off of my soapbox.
(My soapbox is gold-plated. And yours?)

Old 01-12-2011, 12:58 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Which middle and high schools do they feed into?
I'm surprised that isn't more of a consideration as well.

I assume De Portola would feed into La Paz and then into Mission Viejo
Portola Hills would likely feed into Serrano and then into El Toro

I'm just guessing though, definitely verify that for yourself OP.

Are middle and high schools not a concern because you don't plan to stay in the area that long, or because you feel things might change between now and then?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 PM

Middle school and High schools are not of a concern as much just b/c so much can change and I will reevaluate those schools as the time comes and may move/transfer etc as needed.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Interesting to see the class sizes were large back then! I'll have to go back and look at my 1970's elementary class photos and count them....so then are the teachers just less qualified or are we lacking as many resources--what explains why kids are not excelling at the level they should--why are kids bored and not challenged at higher levels--this is a common complaint I have heard personally from bright kids (in the Irvine elementary schools too!!) as well as from parents.
We had 30 kids in classes when I was in elementary school in the 90's. I was in fourth grade I think when California started the reduced class sizes for the lower grades. One thing that was done than and not done now is that students were usually grouped due to ability. You didn't have to teach so many levels of kids. This was even true at my elementary school.

Another thing is that kids used to listen to teachers. Nowadays, parents think their kids can do no wrong. Kids don't listen to the teachers, and parents demean the teachers.

Add into that the fact that society no longer seems to value education as much as it used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County