Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:11 PM

500 posts, read 841,327 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy inexpensive condo in SoCal and when it comes to OC, the only inexpensive ones are pretty much in Santa Ana. When I went on trips there, the area was pretty scary.... kind of a ghetto area which makes wonder about car break-ins (the condos I saw were mostly not too far from Warmer/Fairview intersection). Obviously, a gang infested place... I wonder if there're any better areas in Santa Ana, because each time I mention Santa Ana people who live in LA tell me it's all bad. I'm buying a property to live at, not an investment, so I got to avoid areas with lots of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 16,822 times
"Obviously gang infested" ... because it's a predominantly Mexican area?

SMH.

Stay away from the freeways and SA is a great city.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:50 PM

I dunno about that...
Predominantly Mexican area will be gang infested (at least in Cal)... that's the reality. No offence, I'm an immigrant and my own nationality is big on gangs/mafia as well, so I stay outta my own countrymen areas as well. A single female will be living in the condo, so we're not going to take chances on crime rates. There were a lot of people that were staring into our car when we visited--and we drive 96 Camry mind u, nothing out of the ordinary for that area. Yep, that particular area oviously has gang activity, I don't need to call the cops and ask about it. (I swear I'm not making it up about gangs being in Santa Ana OMG haha that's a big newsflash I guess...)
I don't have time to invest to comb entire Santa Ana for safe areas, so I wonder about people who know the area.
And btw, yep, that particular area was Mexican--no diversity (like in NoHo where everyone lives mixed together)--only Mexicans, no whilte, black or asian, that's telling too, my family looks white/asian mix so probbly wouldn't be welcome in area like that anyway.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:07 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
I'm looking to buy inexpensive condo in SoCal and when it comes to OC, the only inexpensive ones are pretty much in Santa Ana. When I went on trips there, the area was pretty scary.... kind of a ghetto area which makes wonder about car break-ins (the condos I saw were mostly not too far from Warmer/Fairview intersection). Obviously, a gang infested place... I wonder if there're any better areas in Santa Ana, because each time I mention Santa Ana people who live in LA tell me it's all bad. I'm buying a property to live at, not an investment, so I got to avoid areas with lots of crime.

I personally don't know Santa Ana that well - basically only what I read on City Data and in the papers - but philosophically and practically, wouldn't any "better area of Santa Ana" be located pretty darn close to a "crappy area of Santa Ana"?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM

True... but I mean Santa Ana itself is pretty close to more upscale towns like Irwin and Tustin. I guess I'm looking for a compromise--not a perfect area but an area where one can walk to the store without looking over the shoulder every second and one can drive home late at night and not worry about being screwed if tire goes flat and car breakins not being common.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
True... but I mean Santa Ana itself is pretty close to more upscale towns like Irwin and Tustin. I guess I'm looking for a compromise--not a perfect area but an area where one can walk to the store without looking over the shoulder every second and one can drive home late at night and not worry about being screwed if tire goes flat and car breakins not being common.
I have an idea, can you provided a couple of candidate locations (street intersections) which have housing you are considering?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:40 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
May I ask how much is an "inexpensive" condo? If it is $300,000, then I think you will find something in Orange County. If it is $125,000 I am not sure you will be successful.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:59 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Santa Ana is scary?

Anyhow, parts of Santa Ana are nice, other parts aren't so nice. A nice part of Santa Ana isn't going to be much cheaper than a similar area in a connecting city. There is no clear division between Santa Ana, Tustin, Irvine, etc they all merge into each other.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:25 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Look to the areas closest to the 55/22 interchange. North of 17th St.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
The cheap parts of Santa Ana are ghetto.

The nicer parts aren't really much cheaper than similar areas in nearby cities.

There's little reason to live there unless you're an illegal in need of super cheap and crowded rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County