Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 02:50 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJC View Post
The Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit. If you're below a certain level of income (which is surprisingly set very high) and if that person has a serious/costly medical condition, their program covers it. The catch is, there is no prescription assistance, and ONLY assistance at that particular hospital is covered. She has a fairly rare liver issue (from birth) that requires frequent tests and yearly endoscopies and ultrasound (neither of which are cheap).

Have been in the business of healthcare IN OC for nearly 35 years...I doubt she could find the kind of care she is getting at the CC for free...our nonprofits DO have to pay the bills

ER only care is free at all hospitals..what you describe is long term follow up,,including endos etc...even our university hospital..UCI med is highly unlikely to have such a program

to add to what others have said..your annual income is way way low for this area..

good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 PM

26 posts, read 68,014 times
Jon and Greasy,

Thank you VERY much for the input based on your experience and being familiar with the Cleveland area. Jon - I actually live in Strongsville right now (Polo Club Apt's by South Park Mall). I'm having a really hard time with this decision. I want to go, but I also don't want to set myself up for failure. A few points... I actually make around $37,000 here in Cleveland so I will be earning a bit more out there. My salary would be increased to $44k. I don't buy much fancy stuff or require a ton of fluff... But still... If you think it's not a good idea, I want to hear it. Also, my $44k wouldn't be for both of us long term. We will have around $8k to bring with us as a buffer. Assuming she finds a job at the low end of $30k - is that out of the question or are we setting ourselves up for failure? $75k or so for two people, no kids, who live a modest life? I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
I just figure this might be a nice opportunity for a life experience, having lived in only one area my entire life. Thanks again EVERYONE for the feedback. It's truly appreciated. I feel like im sinking here.

Last edited by JTJC; 03-28-2011 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJC View Post
Jon and Greasy,

Thank you VERY much for the input based on your experience and being familiar with the Cleveland area. Jon - I actually live in Strongsville right now (Polo Club Apt's by South Park Mall). I'm having a really hard time with this decision. I want to go, but I also don't want to set myself up for failure. A few points... I actually make around $37,000 here in Cleveland so I will be earning a bit more out there. My salary would be increased to $44k. I don't buy much fancy stuff or require a ton of fluff... But still... If you think it's not a good idea, I want to hear it. Also, my $44k wouldn't be for both of us long term. We will have around $8k to bring with us as a buffer. Assuming she finds a job at the low end of $30k - is that out of the question or are we setting ourselves up for failure? $75k or so for two people, no kids, who live a modest life? I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
I just figure this might be a nice opportunity for a life experience, having lived in only one area my entire life. Thanks again EVERYONE for the feedback. It's truly appreciated. I feel like im sinking here.

I would still be concerned...very concerned...re her health issues...please do not expect to come here and find FREE health care like at CC...doesn't exist...emergencies only...

sorry

Old 03-28-2011, 07:53 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,350 times
You could always look in Torrance, which isn't that far from Carson (like an earlier poster said, you don't want to live in Carson).

However, given the situation with your fiance, you have to stay put. The cost of living in the L.A. County area is insane plus you are going to pay higher auto insurance and car tag rates and air conditioning during the summer will see you running up $300-400 a month electric bills. The hospital system is also slowly crumbling due to the problem with illegals, among other issues. Not to mention the traffic.

To me, this isn't even close. You have predictable health care in Cleveland and you know the ropes there. Unless your employer is willing to bump you up to 75k, it just won't work in L.A. for you.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 PM

394 posts, read 966,804 times
I tend to agree with the majority opinion. The major concern is your Lady's well-being and it sounds like you have a great situation there. It would be hard to find similar treatment options in SoCal - at least not until Obamacare kicks in in the year 2014 (if ever). If you are sinking there, try finding a more interesting place to live and come to California for a nice long vacation. Dog knows, our state needs the tourist dollars!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 PM

220 posts, read 991,317 times
Why hello!

I lived at Cherry Tree Village. Your rent in Cali will be double the Polo Club. I grew up in Cleveland, moved to Southern Cali while in high school; Orange County, back to Cleveland, to Miami. Your quality of life in SoCal will be completely different. I left SoCal bc the cost of living was so high, and the commute was killer. In SoCal my friends were buying tiny $hitty condos in the hood for 400k, back in 2000-2005. And by "buying", I mean they all had shady mortgages, with an adjustable rate, or only paying interest, not principal, and they all ended up in a bad financial situation. Now their condos are listed at 125k, with no lookers.

It's all relative and based on your perspective, and priorities. Lets say you buy a house in Strongsville, in High Point, Deerfield or Ledgewood. Nice neighborhoods, nice lot size, good schools, an hour commute at most. A similar house in SoCal would be double the price now, easily triple the price when housing bounces back. It will be a track house on a tiny lot, the schools are not as good, and the commute would be twice as long. lol. It's true, and what you want depends on your priorities.

We were reading books and doing things in the 11th grade in SoCal, in a A rated school system; that I was doing in the 8th grade at Albion junior high in Strongsville.

I don't compare utilities because everyone runs their own temperature. But your gas, car insurance, and housing will be double, if not triple the price of Cleveland.

Is your company sending you out for a week to check it out? It doesn't sound like you've been to California before.

Edit... I sound overly negative and doomsday. I sound like my parents! lol. My fam moved to SoCal in 1997 when my dad had a job transfer. The pay increase was significant, and it was a good move professionally and financially. I am actually looking to move back to SoCal from Miami. For you, I would not look at anything less than 65, since you live in Strongsville. If you lived in Brookpark, Brooklyn, Parma, Euclid or Lorain; I would say go for it!!!.... But I think the quality of life in Cali on 44k would be an unpleasant culture shock for you. For health, she would be best off flying home to the Cleveland Clinic and making use of their program. Just like car insurance, health insurance and care are more expensive too.

Last edited by greasycheeseburgers; 03-28-2011 at 08:47 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 AM

Greasy... Oh wow. Small world! Funny you should mention Parma. That's actually where I lived the past 4 years. It's a dump. Seriously bad. Like I said... I dont really need a lot of fluff... That's why I was debating the move. I figured on rent being $1200 a month, so I was going off of that figure. Calling my car insurance company was my next step for a quote. As well, we are speaking to the clinic to see if we are able to continue with her medical there, flying back once ever 6 months or so. I'd live to make it work IF able.

Also, i have been to CA quite a bit... However, mostly San Francisco. San Diego once. I loved it. I absolutely love San Francisco. And here's a bit of info that may help as well: I'll be working back and forth between the Cleveland office and our Carson, CA office from now until June (when I would be there permanently). My logic says I should go out, get a good read on the dynamics and based on that - then decide?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 PM

lol. Parma! Why do you think I made the comparison? I would just like to say for the record I was born at Parma Hospital, and grew up in Middleburg Heights; so random people better not be sending me hate mail.

And for the record I think Parma is better than Carson. I think Carson is more like Brookpark or Bedford Heights. It's a place I drive by on the freeway; but I don't have a reason to go there, and I wouldn't want to live there.

Carson had Roscoes Chicken and Waffles. And they have an Ikea. I've never ventured off the freeway to hang out in Carson.

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuh! Who doesn't like San Diego and San Fran. They are gorgeous to vacation in, but if you moved to San Diego you could only afford to live in Lemon Grove or Santee; and in San Fran, you would be on the other side of the bay in Oakland. lol. You have no concept what that is, but it would be like vacationing in Bay Village at a house on Lakeshore drive, then moving to Brookpark.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 AM

Yeah. I know what you mean. I have friends in San Fran and a few in Oakland, who frankly, live in dumps. I'd only be working in Carson, definitely not living. I was thinking about somewhere in Long Beach possibly... Or Cypress. I'm going to check it out and work between here and there. I don't have much to lose, and if I find something here in the mean time I'll have that option too. I am asking for some more payola though. I know what is out of the question in terms of salary increases. I'm shooting for $49k, but realistically I'll probably get $47k. $3k better than $44k. With this kind of pay, is be covered on my mo bills, with $1200 of that allotted for rent. That would be me on my own. My lady, once she finds a job at atlases $27k should ease the burden. I really over analyze things and I drive myself nuts with facts and figures. My calculations say I'll be okay... But the replies on here make me so nervous... I don't know what I'm missing or leaving out!? It's driving me nuts. As well, I'm asking for $8k in relocation money for an added buffer, as I can pocket any left over. Realistically well use about $3k.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 PM

I would check with your company's hr dept and the career board here for relo help. Relo money is complicated; they usually make you sign an agreement stating you will be with the company for a certain amount of time if you accept the money; and if you leave before then you have to repay either a pro-rated amount or the entire package.

There is a few standard packages depending on which company handles the move; most hire a company, some do it itnerally. I've heard of all kinds of offers. You pay all the moving expenses and they reimburse you to a certain amount, the relo company handles the move and the company pays them directly, or the company gives you the money to coordinate it yourself. I have been relo-ed twice, with the same company and rec'd different packages, and so has my dad. And there is some sort of different tax situation with the relo money, depending on the package and who gets the money. I usually do my taxes myself online, but not when I relo, I pay someone else to jack them up then. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County