Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:36 PM

16 posts, read 28,124 times

Advertisements

I work as a Field Engineer for an IT company, so I can work from home and randomly travel to other states. My company is willing to transfer me to the Los Angeles area and I was wondering where I live decently on 60 to 65k a year (they haven't decided how much of a cost of living raise I'll get yet).

I was thinking the Irvine area, but that might be too expensive. What are some nice areas in Orange county that I could pay rent and save some money at the same time? I want to be somewhat near the ocean and south.

I have no debts. No credit cards. No student loans.

Your help is extremely appreciated!

-David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 PM

394 posts, read 966,995 times
One thing to bear in mind. Orange County is not Los Angeles - even though from outside the local area we are all lumped into one geographical region. There is a different mind-set between LA County and Orange County - despite what Arte Moreno might think, lol

If you are a young dude you might consider City of Orange or Fullerton as options to Irvine. Both are College towns with lower rents than the coastal cities. But if you want to be closer to the ocean there are certainly other places to consider such as Costa Mesa, Seal Beach or Long Beach.

Huntington Beach has some affordable areas but parts can be a little sketchy, as can parts of Long Beach and even parts of Costa Mesa.

If you are open to having a roommate you will be able to get a much nicer pad in a more desirable area.

One suggestion, though, apply for a credit card - even one with a low credit limit. Even a secured Credit Card would be better than none. It will really help you on applications for apartments or for a car rental, should the need ever arise.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:31 PM

16 posts, read 28,124 times
What's the difference? I imagine LA the city is crowded while Orange County is more spread out.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:19 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity801 View Post
What's the difference? I imagine LA the city is crowded while Orange County is more spread out.
Geographically and Physically there is really no difference. Both LA and OC are Sprawls.

There is a clear difference in attitudes. You'll notice it when you arrive. Hard to describe

Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Quote:
I made the same move you are looking at 15 years ago.

One big thing that is different - The Philadelphia area is an area with suburbs surrounding a core urban center. LA/OC is not like that. it is one big sprawling, well, sprawl. You can drive down the 405 freeway and have no idea where one city/town begins and the other ends.

Not saying there are not difference among the cities, but density is not really one of them. Things may get slightly less dense -Imagine a range from Downtown Philly/Rittenhouse Square a the densest end but the least dense area is like Ardmore or City Line Ave area. It never gets real thin like a Chadds Ford or Bucks County. One of the biggest differences I noticed moving here is the density of people. You will never get away from people here. You always compete for space, wait in lines and there is always the constant din of human activity - cars, trucks, planes whatever. You are never truly physically isolated here. Sounds weird, but for someone who spent time growing up in Chester and Delware county it took time to adjust.

As for your original question, someone moving into OC at your salary, I would reccomend Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, or inland Like Fullerton. Something a little quieter would be Tustin (Tustin Ranch neighborhoods) or Yorba Linda. South County (OC from Irvine south) is very family oriented and is basically one big Middle-Upper Middle class bedroom community. North Coastal OC like HB has more stuff for singles.
Good Luck!

Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
I was thinking the Irvine area, but that might be too expensive. What are some nice areas in Orange county that I could pay rent and save some money at the same time?
If you like Irvine, try Tustin...it's a little less expensive. L.A. may overwhelm you, being originally from Wisconsin. And anything near the ocean will cost an arm and a leg in either LA or OC.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:34 PM

12 posts, read 26,972 times
It all depends on your priorities (i.e. near a freeway; schools etc) Most importnt to take some time out here to get the facts. Much depennds opn your life style and the kind of neighborhood you would be happy in. You will make your budget IF you can minimize transportation costs. i.e metrolilnk etc.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:15 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
One thing to bear in mind. Orange County is not Los Angeles - even though from outside the local area we are all lumped into one geographical region. There is a different mind-set between LA County and Orange County - despite what Arte Moreno might think, lol

If you are a young dude you might consider City of Orange or Fullerton as options to Irvine. Both are College towns with lower rents than the coastal cities. But if you want to be closer to the ocean there are certainly other places to consider such as Costa Mesa, Seal Beach or Long Beach.

Huntington Beach has some affordable areas but parts can be a little sketchy, as can parts of Long Beach and even parts of Costa Mesa.

If you are open to having a roommate you will be able to get a much nicer pad in a more desirable area.

One suggestion, though, apply for a credit card - even one with a low credit limit. Even a secured Credit Card would be better than none. It will really help you on applications for apartments or for a car rental, should the need ever arise.
THANK YOU!!!right off the bat you stated that you guys are not Los Angeles.I don't even live in Orange County(but love my Angels and going to HB/714 area) and I can't stand when people either link LA&OC together or they think it's one big place.Also def some good real advice after that statement too.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
There is a different mind-set between LA County and Orange ...

But if you want to be closer to the ocean there are certainly other places to consider such as Costa Mesa, Seal Beach or Long Beach.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
THANK YOU!!!right off the bat you stated that you guys are not Los Angeles.I don't even live in Orange County(but love my Angels and going to HB/714 area) and I can't stand when people either link LA&OC together or they think it's one big place.Also def some good real advice after that statement too.
Long Beach is in LA County.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:26 PM

394 posts, read 966,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
__________________________________________________ ___________

Long Beach is in LA County.
Yes. Yes it is - but just barely.
And it feels more like Huntington Beach or Seal Beach than Santa Monica...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County