Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,882 times

Advertisements

I desperately want to move to Southern California and live as close as possible to the beach (walking distance). I thought I narrowed down my choice to Huntington Beach but I'm now having second thoughts due to what I've read about the people who live there; ruff, rowdy, tattoos, bros, territorial, dressed in black, MMA, affliction t-shirts,lifted trucks, etc you get the picture.

I'm just a laid back 25 year old who wants to live on the beach and have fun. I don't want to worry about getting into fights with some bros when going out the bars or because I took "their" waves.

Any thoughts (maybe I'm wrong) or suggestions for where else in So Cal I should be looking ? Budget is 1500-1600 for a 2br

I love this forum by the way, long time reader first time poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 04:20 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
I live in HB (the harbour area to be specific) Yeah, these -aholes exist, but they shouldn't ruin your day. Stay away from Hurricanes ands Sharkees and you will be fine.

May be a different story if you are a surfer. Best to befriend the locals or surf at Bolsa Chica.

Seal Beach is more laid back

Old 03-29-2011, 04:23 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
Any thoughts (maybe I'm wrong) or suggestions for where else in So Cal I should be looking ? Budget is 1500-1600 for a 2br
Also try the San Diego Forum for suggestions. It seems that there are more beach options (regarding types of crowds, etc.) available there than in OC and San Diegans seem to be more than willing to share their experiences.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_dreaming23 View Post
I desperately want to move to Southern California and live as close as possible to the beach (walking distance). I thought I narrowed down my choice to Huntington Beach but I'm now having second thoughts due to what I've read about the people who live there; ruff, rowdy, tattoos, bros, territorial, dressed in black, MMA, affliction t-shirts,lifted trucks, etc you get the picture.

I'm just a laid back 25 year old who wants to live on the beach and have fun. I don't want to worry about getting into fights with some bros when going out the bars or because I took "their" waves.

I love this forum by the way, long time reader first time poster.
Question 1: Where do (will) you work?
Questions 2: Can someone get a 2BR within walking distance from the beach for $1600?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:40 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Sufers and bros..two different animals. While HB locals can be territorial about their best surf spots, the bros are generally no more than inland posers just p...g off random people. The majority of coastal OC surfers I know(which is many) are very laid back. I agree with Dinnsdale about Sharkees. I occasionally hung out at the one in Newport..it was like watching a beer muscle freak show. In my younger days I used to enjoy it though..I'm 6'6 and 240 so it was nighty, night brohan if they got at all crazy with me. Most surfers just want big waves,kool buds, and beautiful women..no that really isn't just a total stereotype out of nowhere. People always talk about all kinds of skinheads all over HB as well..have seen maybe a dozen or so in the last fifteen years there. Trouble can happen anywhere.

As to the other question you may be able to find a two bedroom in HB near water for 1600, but not to rain on your parade..there might be spider webs in the dishwasher and holes in the floor at that price..

Last edited by Scott5280; 03-29-2011 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 05:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I live in Bro Central, USA (aka the IE) and I manage to live my life with no interaction with them. Of course, I don't go to bars, but I go everywhere else around here. Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Question 1: Where do (will) you work?
Questions 2: Can someone get a 2BR within walking distance from the beach for $1600?
im currently renting a two bedroom town home for under 1550. Kitchen needs to be updated, but its a decent place. (Looking to buy in the very near future) One mile to the beach, 1/2 mile to the harbor. Walk all the time. Lots of decent restaurants and other things to do in the "anti-Downtown" Blue Cafe has lots of good bands in a dive bar setting.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 17,958 times
I love Huntington Beach!!! Grew up there... a young crowd, but fun...I being a woman had no problems at all with anyone...maybe just my demeanor...fear not!

Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,589 times
A lot of people my age tend to see "Bros" and white power types as similar. A lot of bros do give off the white power mentality. This may explain why people still link HB with skinhead stuff.

There is little difference between HB and the Jersey Shore, other than the JS is mostly Italians. The tattoos, muscle obsessed, haircut type is the same. As is Ed Hardy.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:28 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,589 times
Your chances of having a problem in Huntington Beach are slim to none. Most of the people from there are just regular people or surfers. The "Bros" come from the IE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County