Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 05:45 PM

11 posts, read 12,821 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I currently live in Memphis TN, although we are from Rochester NY, and we just found out yesterday he got a job in Irvine. We have been looking at places in Huntington Beach and Newport Beach, but we aren't sure which would be a better fit. We currently are paying $1500/month on our dream condo. We realize that our money is definitely not going to go nearly as far in socal, but are looking for a 1-2 bedroom with washer & dryer. We are willing to pay up to $1700 if we have to but would rather pay closer to the $1500. (Right now between the 2 of us we make about $70,000 and pay the $1500/month among many other bills and still have ample money to do what we want)
A little background about us: We are 25 years old. He will be making $63,000 and as for me, no job yet. (Once I get a job we should be making about $85,000 - $90,000 between the two of us) I have 5 years experience waiting tables but also have a degree in advertising photography. I will probably be waiting tables as I look for a job in advertising, so we would like to be close to restaurants that are a little more expensive so I can make tips! We have no kids and like to "go out" so definitely an area that is a lot of fun and easy to meet people. We would like to be extremely close to the beach if at all possible. SO, if anyone has any suggestions about an Newport Beach vs. Huntington Beach that would be awesome! Also, any local websites for apartment/condo hunting would be great! As well as a good realtor we could go through. Craigslist only goes so far, and I've been using Trulia, but it seems like the stuff thats already been rented doesnt get taken off. Any information about the area would be helpful! My brother lives in North Hollywood, so I frequent to LA, but have never been to the OC. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 07:41 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh8497 View Post
My boyfriend and I currently live in Memphis TN, although we are from Rochester NY, and we just found out yesterday he got a job in Irvine. We have been looking at places in Huntington Beach and Newport Beach, but we aren't sure which would be a better fit. We currently are paying $1500/month on our dream condo. We realize that our money is definitely not going to go nearly as far in socal, but are looking for a 1-2 bedroom with washer & dryer. We are willing to pay up to $1700 if we have to but would rather pay closer to the $1500. (Right now between the 2 of us we make about $70,000 and pay the $1500/month among many other bills and still have ample money to do what we want)
A little background about us: We are 25 years old. He will be making $63,000 and as for me, no job yet. (Once I get a job we should be making about $85,000 - $90,000 between the two of us) I have 5 years experience waiting tables but also have a degree in advertising photography. I will probably be waiting tables as I look for a job in advertising, so we would like to be close to restaurants that are a little more expensive so I can make tips! We have no kids and like to "go out" so definitely an area that is a lot of fun and easy to meet people. We would like to be extremely close to the beach if at all possible. SO, if anyone has any suggestions about an Newport Beach vs. Huntington Beach that would be awesome! Also, any local websites for apartment/condo hunting would be great! As well as a good realtor we could go through. Craigslist only goes so far, and I've been using Trulia, but it seems like the stuff thats already been rented doesnt get taken off. Any information about the area would be helpful! My brother lives in North Hollywood, so I frequent to LA, but have never been to the OC. Thanks!
I'm not sure about Newport (generally more expensive) but you should not have any problems finding what you want on Huntington. My son just got a two bedroom apartment with washer/dryer for ~$1400 and a move-in special that included a new 42" wall mounted HDTV. I also live in Huntington and rent a 3 bedroom house real close to the Harbour for $2K. There are many apartments complexes that are having move-in specials since the vacancy rate is high. Huntington has very nice beaches on the west and south sides so the beach is never that far away. There are lots of nice restaurants in HB. You could also check-out Downtown Disney for work.
As far as links:
Avalon at Pacific Bay (http://www.avaloncommunities.com/avaloncore/nfloor.asp?comm=49&source=placescom - broken link)
Ocean Breeze Villas
Monticello
Harbour Lights
Apartment Guide

Old 05-14-2011, 08:20 PM

394 posts, read 967,129 times
Newport Beach would be a better fit commute-wise. To get from HB to Irvine can be a real challenge some days. Lots of rental options in Irvine and if you look a little south of there - MV, AV, etc - you will find even more options. But based upon your bio, Newport probably makes the most sense. Certain parts of Costa Mesa may also be worth considering.

The Orange County Register is one place to look for rentals - though the best way to find a place sometimes is to drive around looking for For Rent signs... That prolly won't work for you, though.

Consider an Extended Stay hotel for a short time while you look for the best rental area.

You will be happy in Orange County!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:48 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
You could find a place in Irvine for $1700. Check out the Irvine Apartment Communities website for bug complexes and craigslist/OC Register for privately owned rentals. Also check out Tustin Ranch. Costa Mesa is closer to Irvine then HB & will save your BF most of the slog on the 405 and would put you closer to the higher end eateries in Newport for a waitress gig. Look into the South Coast Metro area or the area around Mesa Verde.

Lastly - one oddity in the So Cal rental market that caught me by surprise when I moved here years go. Many complexes have shared laundry facilities,but apartments often do not have refrigerators and you will probably need to povide your own.

Good Luck !

Old 05-14-2011, 10:32 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
You pretty much absolutely will need to rent a condo to get in-unit laundry capability. You'll have to check local resources for that. I'd avoid Craigslist because it's hard to filter the chaff when you're half a country away. Westside Rentals is a good source, OC Register, Pennysaver, and local city papers will be your best bet.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:40 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Alicante in Aliso Viejo has a separate laundry room inside each apartment, so there are no shared facilities (Probably true for most apartment buildings in AV). BUT, but, but, you have to bring your refrigerator, or rent one through them.
Alicante Apartment Homes

http://experiencesequoia.com/alicante/live-alicante/watch-our-video/ (broken link)

It's really easy to meet people at Alicante, especially if you have a dog, because pets, both big and small, are welcome and you always run into other pet owners while walking. Check-out the dog in the video!

One other thing, maintenance is also top notch at Alicante. I lived there when I first moved to Aliso and found the place to be well-managed.

Last edited by pacific2; 05-14-2011 at 11:00 PM..

Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
You pretty much absolutely will need to rent a condo to get in-unit laundry capability. You'll have to check local resources for that. I'd avoid Craigslist because it's hard to filter the chaff when you're half a country away. Westside Rentals is a good source, OC Register, Pennysaver, and local city papers will be your best bet.
My son's apartment in HB came with in-unit washer/dryer and refrigerator

Old 05-15-2011, 10:07 AM

573 posts, read 1,361,361 times
I frequent to LA, but have never been to the OC. Thanks![/quote]

i bet youve been to the oc, LA and OC are completely attached

check out Costa Mesa or Tustin, very nice places next to irvine

Old 05-16-2011, 12:07 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Huntington Beach and Costa Mesa are the best places for a 20-30 something transplants to get started in Southern California. Most places in Irvine and south county are very nice, but also very boring and sterile.

Downtown Huntington Beach Apartments run about 1500 - 2000. Most have onsite laundry. There are also tons of bars, hotels and restaurants within walking distance where you may be able to find work as a waitress. There is also a very strong creative community for you to hone your skills as a photographer.

I live in Huntington Harbour and in the process of buying a condo. I currently rent. We found our unit by riding around the neighborhoods on bikes. Two-bedroom/two-story townhome in a decent neighborhood 1 mile from the beach for $1550 w/Washer and Dryer. Walking distance to stores and restaurants.

I would seriously recommend living in any beach community at least for a few months to a year until you figure out what you want to do with your lives and explore the county.

Costa Mesa is closer to Irvine, with easier freeway access. But there are nice areas and sketchy areas. Be careful.

Newport is also fun, but can get rather pricey. Stay near the beach. You will have a blast (the downside is that most beach areas have rather poor freeway access). Irvine is very big - Some parts are an easy commute to HB while others can be a royal pain.

Life in OC is a lot easier without a long commute.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Please delete duplicate post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County