Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 AM

5 posts, read 6,297 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband has just recently been made 3 job offers in the US and we're trying to figure out which he should accept. All are pretty similar salary/benefit wise so we're looking for which area would be the best fit for our family. Our kids are still in school here so we won't be able to come out for a visit until August and would really like to have settled on an area by then.

One of the jobs is in San Diego, another is in LA, and for me these are the front runners, I love the thought of living in California (maybe it's having lived in the UK all my life and suffering the miserable summers) and having the chance to be outdoors year round. The only problem is I know very little about the communities in and around LA, so would appreciate any help in narrowing down out options.

Here's what we're looking for;

Family-friendly community. We have four children aged 15, 13, 8 and 2, so good schools are a must. I know tables and rankings don't always tell the full story so would love to hear from parents about their kids' school and why they do or do not like them. I will remain a SAHM and would be looking for a community where there is lots for toddlers/pre-schoolers going on, so I can get out and meet other mums. My older kids are very into their sports/activities so options for them to continue playing are a must and we'd like to be close to the beach, parks, shops etc.

We'd rent initially with a view to buying in the near future and would like a 4+bedroom home in a family-friendly neighbourhood where our kids can play out with friends and a pool would be fantastic. Our rental budget would be $3,500.

Commute time isn't an issue for my hubby, he is currently commuting to London from the West Midlands (2 hours each way on a good day). Anything less than this would be a bonus.

A couple of places we've looked at are San Clemente and Dana Point, both look great on paper but would they fit what we're looking for?

Sorry this got so long and thanks in advance for your replies.

(FYI- the other job is in Philadelphia)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:17 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,170 times
I’m very fond of Dana Point, but I would never commute from there to San Diego. Nor, would I commute from San Clemente to San Diego. I frequently travel from Aliso Viejo to North San Diego County and it takes me about 45 minutes, and that’s enough.

I would suggest going to the San Diego Forum to get feedback about communities that might fit your criteria. I don’t know if you would consider master-planned communities, but I recently read about San Elijo Hills (San Diego County) and it might have most of what you want, even though it is not located in a beach town.
San Elijo Hills

I also know someone who has lived in Carlsbad for quite some time and enjoys it. I know someone too, who lives in San Marcos, but not in San Eijo Hills, and is very much satisfied with life there. There are a lot of possibilities, but San Diegans would know best about that region.

Last edited by pacific2; 06-23-2011 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Where exactly in Los Angeles is the job located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liseandsteve
Commute time isn't an issue for my hubby

But his mental health and your marriage and his capability to be a good dad to your four kids could be an issue.

Where is the job in San Diego? Some of us may be able to provide comments on comparisons for the two locations.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where exactly in Los Angeles is the job located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liseandsteve

But his mental health and your marriage and his capability to be a good dad to your four kids could be an issue.

Where is the job in San Diego? Some of us may be able to provide comments on comparisons for the two locations.
The San Diego job is at Rady Children's Hospital and the LA job is at Children's Hospital LA.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:44 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liseandsteve View Post
The San Diego job is at Rady Children's Hospital and the LA job is at Children's Hospital LA.
You might want to consider La Jolla if you decide upon San Diego, because it's not much of a commute, but I would definitely rule-out Orange County.

As crazy as it seems, I used to have an acquaintance who bought a house in La Jolla, but commuted a few days week to her job at a hospital in LA County. She loved both La Jolla and her job. I don’t know if she is still doing this but, hopefully, she has come to her senses and accepted something closer to home.

Last edited by pacific2; 06-23-2011 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liseandsteve View Post
Potential for word-eating here.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 PM

394 posts, read 966,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Potential for word-eating here.
Everybody thinks that their traffic is bad, whether it be New York, Boston, London or wherever. But until you have come over the crest of a hill and looked down upon a 5-lane parking lot stretching out as far as your eye can see, you don't know bad traffic.

Given the choices you listed, LA or San Diego, I would choose SD in a heartbeat! And I agree with earlier posters that La Jolla would be a fabulous town in which to live! I don't know much about the schools there, but...

Check out the SD forum for more specific info.

Congrats and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County