Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 14,492 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone - We are looking for a home in the Cowan Heights area of Orange County, CA. I am a little confused by the home addresses (some say Santa Ana others Orange or North tustin). Is it possible for the same zip code to share three different cities? In case of emergency which police department would you call?
Can anyone tell me about life in the Cowan Hills area? We saw some beautiful properties but what about neighbours? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 01:00 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckar View Post
Hello everyone - We are looking for a home in the Cowan Heights area of Orange County, CA. I am a little confused by the home addresses (some say Santa Ana others Orange or North tustin). Is it possible for the same zip code to share three different cities? In case of emergency which police department would you call?
Can anyone tell me about life in the Cowan Hills area? We saw some beautiful properties but what about neighbours? Thank you

Hi there....

actually NONE are in any of the cities listed!! This area is actually "unincorporated area of Orange County"...we have lived here 26 years..have always used the Santa Ana addy...lately some are using North Tustin...if it has Orange Address,,don't think that is technically Cowan Heights
for emergecies..fire is Orange County Fire Authority...police is California Highway patrol...
we live on a cul de sac of 8 off a cul de sac of 10 homes..all built by John Lyttle in the 70's..lovely large one story homes on half acre lots...our neighbors are very nice folks..some are original owners...these homes don't go on the market that often..

Cowan Heights is technically on one side of this hill,,,and Lemon Heights on the other..we face Irvine and the ocean...

we love it here

good luck

Old 08-14-2011, 01:01 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,245 times
I grew up in the area and now live in Lemon Heights, essentially right next door. It is a great area, but neighbors are neighbors, you really get a mix of everything in both Cowan Heights and Lemon Heights, just like anywhere else. Once you find a property talk to the neighbors, see what you can find out. Walk up and down the street, see what you see. It is unincorporated Orange County, so things that might not fly in say, Irvine, will fly here, which can be good or bad depending on your tastes.

The city issue is often confusing. A little history, the people of what we call "North Tustin" did not want to identify Santa Ana as their city, so they adopted North Tustin. Still 92705. Your property tax bill will say Santa Ana, but you can list North Tustin as your city when you mail things, etc and it is recognized. If you call the PD, Orange County Sheriff will come.

One of the great things about the area is that many of the homes were custom built back in the day. You won't see cookie cutter homes, most have good sized lots, many with pools, my neighbor has a tennis court and a pool, and down the street people have 3 acres and horses. However, if you really feel more drawn to places like Irvine, where there are rules, HOA, things like that, think twice about this area. Feel free to PM me if you want more info!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:04 PM

NurseRosie, we posted at the same time...When I have seen police around here on patrol I always see the OC Sheriff, but the CHP makes the majority of traffic stops...are you of a different opinion? The couple of times I had the loud party issue the OC Sheriff came..

Old 08-14-2011, 02:01 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
NurseRosie, we posted at the same time...When I have seen police around here on patrol I always see the OC Sheriff, but the CHP makes the majority of traffic stops...are you of a different opinion? The couple of times I had the loud party issue the OC Sheriff came..

hmmm...bet you are correct here...not sure now...either way...we don't have our own police..but get excellent service..same as fire...

I also read the BS about folks who didn't want "others" to think they lived in Santa Ana...or had trouble getting deliveries etc..has never been an issue for us..didn't they actually :"invent" North Tustin to satisfy some folks?? don't think it actually is a town..

hope you are OK...

rosie

Old 08-14-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
hmmm...bet you are correct here...not sure now...either way...we don't have our own police..but get excellent service..same as fire...

I also read the BS about folks who didn't want "others" to think they lived in Santa Ana...or had trouble getting deliveries etc..has never been an issue for us..didn't they actually :"invent" North Tustin to satisfy some folks?? don't think it actually is a town..

hope you are OK...

rosie

You are right, "North Tustin" was invented, but oddly, sometimes when I shop (like at stores in SCP) and give my address, they will say "in North Tustin"? So it seems to be in some data bases depending on the physical address. However, if you have a delivery from say, Sears...don't say North Tustin because MapQuest will not find it and the poor guys will not find your place unless it says "Santa Ana".
I don't know what you mean by "BS about folks who did not want others to think they lived in SA"...I am really only reporting what has been an ongoing thing since I was in HS at Foothill...but maybe that was just in a specific group..who knows..either way it is great here!

Hope that pesky construction is not driving you nutty!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:02 PM

Thank you nurserosie and luckodeirish, both your explanations were very helpful. I was out today looking at the area again and discovered that Cowan heights and Cowan hills are not exactly the same thing. I believe Cowan Hills is in Orange. Both areas are very low on inventory at the moment.
Any thoughts on Cowan hills? Thank you

Old 08-14-2011, 08:08 PM

It makes sense now why you were asking about the city of Orange. Cowan Hills is in Orange. Nice area, newer houses, smaller lots, I think the homes are everything from the boring tract home type to custom built. Do you have kids? Check the schools, I am not 100% sure where those kids go to school. Also check out Lemon Heights, right next door, have your realtor explain where it is. There are some houses for sale around here for sure.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 PM

Thank you. Apparently, Cowan Hills is also unincorporated Orange County but the property taxes and post office will be in the city of Orange. We don't have kids so the school district isn't very important to us but would be for resale value.
I will check the Lemon Heights area. Thank you for the tip

Old 08-17-2011, 06:05 AM

16 posts, read 54,115 times
We cant share same zipcode for 3 countries. And the life in Cowan Hills area is very peaceful but with a little bit dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County