Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times

Advertisements

There are or were some affordable bargains in Balboa Villiage in Newport Beach. A lot of college kids live there. It is not a popular family place. The bargains are hard to find. We had a great realtor (Jana at Mel Fuchs, but she is probably long gone now.) She woudl always notify us of any neat places at reasoanble prices that came up even if were were not looking to move at the time. We also kept aware of what was available in the villiage and what the prices were. Sometimes we watched a place sit empty for a year before making a lowball rental offer. Sometimes if it has been empty a logn time, they will go cheap. Others would prefer to let it sit empty.

Costa Mesa might be a decent option for you as well. It is not on the beach, but some parts are within walking or biking distance and it is cheaper and closer to the 55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 AM

534 posts, read 479,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Don't underestimate the traffic in that area.. those 5 miles could easily take 10+ minutes.. and traffic on 405 is usually slower than surface streets.

I'd estimate moving to Newport Beach will probably cut your commute about 20-30 minutes each way.
That's definitely something to consider - what area of Newport Beach would you recommend that is both convenient to the freeway and relatively close to the beach? (...and maybe not horrible expensive)

Quote:
There are or were some affordable bargains in Balboa Villiage in Newport Beach. A lot of college kids live there. It is not a popular family place. The bargains are hard to find. We had a great realtor (Jana at Mel Fuchs, but she is probably long gone now.) She woudl always notify us of any neat places at reasoanble prices that came up even if were were not looking to move at the time. We also kept aware of what was available in the villiage and what the prices were. Sometimes we watched a place sit empty for a year before making a lowball rental offer. Sometimes if it has been empty a logn time, they will go cheap. Others would prefer to let it sit empty.

Costa Mesa might be a decent option for you as well. It is not on the beach, but some parts are within walking or biking distance and it is cheaper and closer to the 55.
Is there a certain part of Costa Mesa that you are thinking of? (zip code or major streets?)

I am not looking to purchase, so no need for realtors.

Last edited by teeej; 01-10-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM

In costa Mesa, there is a cheap arpatment on Suprior called the Beach House. It is not very nice, but it is very affordable. You can walk about a mile to the beach, or ride your bike to a nicer beach. It is not a bad place to live if you are young and do not mind traffic noise and neighbor noise. (One of our neighbors was a pron actress who had the film crews come during the day, I did not realize this until I stayed home sick one day).

On the other side of Newport Blvd, once you get in past the resturaunts there are some nicer homes and apartments. We had some close friends who lived on Orange Ave (I think it was) and about 18th or 20th street. The apts were ok. It was a bike ride to the beach and a long walk to some fun places like Goat Hill Tavern. There are smallish Apts scattered all over that area. No big complexes that I cna think of just little 8-12 unit two or three story apartments. If you want fancy, NEwport and Irvine have the pricy apt complexes. (Try Prometory Point).

Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 PM

453 posts, read 1,628,088 times
I use to drive from Huntington Beach to Fullerton on the 7p-7a shift down beach blvd and it was almost an hour each way to drive that little bit of way. Horrible traffic, lights are not synchronized, don't miss it at all.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow91 View Post
I use to drive from Huntington Beach to Fullerton on the 7p-7a shift down beach blvd and it was almost an hour each way to drive that little bit of way. Horrible traffic, lights are not synchronized, don't miss it at all.
Beach and Euclid now have synchronized lights so its a lot better than it used it be.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:51 PM

6 posts, read 20,840 times
From HB you can take PCH or Victoria down and pick up the 55 in Newport. It's a nicer drive (not Victoria) and there's rarely traffic. If taking 241 is not out of the question, Laguna would work. That's where I live. I did a similar commute for a while, leaving the beach for an hour of freeway gnarliness every morning was not fun. Eventually I found a job closer to home. Win..win!

But even when I did have the awful commute, I was still glad I lived by the beach.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
I am not looking to purchase, so no need for realtors.

Jana @ Mel Fuchs was a rental only agent. You will not get the cool places without a rental realtor. People do nto put up signs in Balboa (usually) and there are no big complexes.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 616 times
I live in Santa Ana of the 22 fwy and planning to take a job with the Loma Linda V.A. hospital. I have no idea what traffic is like in the morning going from 22 east to 55fwy to 91 east to 215 N (just 2 miles on the 215N). Also how about coming the opposite way home back to Santa Ana? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you. My email is : [EMAIL="htgoliath26@aol.com"]htgoliath26@aol.com[/EMAIL]

Old 10-10-2017, 09:26 AM

925 posts, read 1,064,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Don't underestimate the traffic in that area.. those 5 miles could easily take 10+ minutes.. and traffic on 405 is usually slower than surface streets.

I'd estimate moving to Newport Beach will probably cut your commute about 20-30 minutes each way.
I work in Corona and some of my coworkers come up from Costa Mesa. 40 minutes in the morning tops and up to an hour in the afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County