Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,757 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm moving to Anaheim from Maryland in roughly 3 weeks to go to school out there. I've done alot of research about the crime out there and from what I'm finding out, where I have chosen to live doesn't seem like the safest area to live in. I've chosen an apartment on the corner of W Broadway and S Brookhurst and I'm concerned about gang-related violence in the area. I currently live in a city in Maryland that is notorious for violence from the gang MS13 so I know what living in a bad area is like... Basically I just would like to ask for your opinion on the area i'm moving to. The things I've been hearing is about gang related crimes such as gang members attacking normal regular citizens even for just wearing certain colors. If you believe its unsafe there, what colors should I avoid? I'm only 19 years old and this will be my first time living alone so I'm sorry if i'm overreacting, just want to stay safe. Any information would be grateful, thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfTheHaunted View Post
Hey everyone, I'm moving to Anaheim from Maryland in roughly 3 weeks to go to school out there. I've done alot of research about the crime out there and from what I'm finding out, where I have chosen to live doesn't seem like the safest area to live in. I've chosen an apartment on the corner of W Broadway and S Brookhurst and I'm concerned about gang-related violence in the area. I currently live in a city in Maryland that is notorious for violence from the gang MS13 so I know what living in a bad area is like... Basically I just would like to ask for your opinion on the area i'm moving to. The things I've been hearing is about gang related crimes such as gang members attacking normal regular citizens even for just wearing certain colors. If you believe its unsafe there, what colors should I avoid? I'm only 19 years old and this will be my first time living alone so I'm sorry if i'm overreacting, just want to stay safe. Any information would be grateful, thanks for your time.
Hi, OfTheHaunted:

Living in Anaheim and walking and driving through it, I can say that, while the area you're talking about is not immediately the most attractive, you could do worse. The intersection of Broadway and Brookhurst is in the middle of what is known as "Little Arabia" or "Little Gaza" because of the profileration of Middle Eastern businesses and restaurants up and down Brookhurst from about Crescent all the way down to Ball and a little past that on some other streets. Just make sure you don't have a slumlord for a landlord. The western part of Anaheim is a vast bedroom with low-grade shopping/entertainment strips every few blocks. The homes and neighborhoods are by and large attractive, though apartments can be touchy. Just Google earth the address and pan around on the map and look at the street scene.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
The previous post summarized it pretty well. Not the best area but not nearly the worst either. The part about being 19 and alone for the first time is the cause for concern, an older person in this area would actually be safer. Those Maryland street smarts should be kept on high alert at all times, for sure until you get to know the area and the people around you. An option to consider for later on, after making friends, would be to move to a better safer area and share a nicer place with a roomate.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Just down the street from your intended location:

Two males stabbed at Anaheim apartment complex | dunn, police, victims - News - The Orange County Register

Its called Anacrime for a reason.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:14 PM

237 posts, read 668,887 times
I would consider neighboring Buena Park or Fullerton. Overall Anaheim as problems, and less so in the 2 other places I mentioned. Also, Anaheim is UGLY, while BP and Fullerton are nicer looking towns.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 PM

415 posts, read 615,872 times
Buena Park? Seriously? No way. As for Fullerton, right now I would not live there, not with the problems with the PD. They famously killed an unarmed homeless guy who did nothing at all. The cops have also been busted arresting sober people and calling them drunk, sexual harassment, stealing iPads while on vacation, and many more offenses. I've met many in Fullerton who are terrified of the PD, particularly given recent offenses. It took 4 months of protesting to even get the government to do anything about the dead homeless guy, and Fullerton PD is so awful that my parents are reading about their offenses in the Salt Lake Tribune in Salt Lake suburbia 12 hours away from here!

I live on the east side of Anaheim, and it is not ugly at all. It is a nicer area than the OP was thinking of living in though.

As for Anaheim being ugly...if Buena Park were a dog it would win the ugly dog contest, and far ahead of Anaheim!

Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
Buena Park? Seriously? No way. As for Fullerton, right now I would not live there, not with the problems with the PD. They famously killed an unarmed homeless guy who did nothing at all. The cops have also been busted arresting sober people and calling them drunk, sexual harassment, stealing iPads while on vacation, and many more offenses. I've met many in Fullerton who are terrified of the PD, particularly given recent offenses. It took 4 months of protesting to even get the government to do anything about the dead homeless guy, and Fullerton PD is so awful that my parents are reading about their offenses in the Salt Lake Tribune in Salt Lake suburbia 12 hours away from here!

I live on the east side of Anaheim, and it is not ugly at all. It is a nicer area than the OP was thinking of living in though.

As for Anaheim being ugly...if Buena Park were a dog it would win the ugly dog contest, and far ahead of Anaheim!
It's amazing how discussions about the advisability of an area for basic, safe living can almost immediately morph into the relative appearances of given communities. "Ugly" may not NECESSARILY mean "dangerous", any more than "beautiful" translates into "automatic utopia free from all hint of harm". Granted, it CAN be a clue, but when pressed between "beautiful and safe" and "not very pretty but safe", especially when starting out on limited resources, the latter should triumph.

It sounds like the OP would be good with this.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
I'd like to know how/why the OP chose that particular complex. I suspect it's the one that started out as part of the Oakwood Garden Apartments .I haven't been in that area in several years but I know it's racially mixed. Mostly hispanic/anglo with, as someone else mentioned, a lot of Middle Eastern people. There are a lot of restaurants in the area within walking distance. Lots of take out places. Plenty of stores. Bus route is nearby.

And it's Anaheim not Detroit or Camden, NJ. He could do a LOT worse especially if money is limiting where he can live.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-29-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County