Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 10:51 AM

7 posts, read 28,217 times

Advertisements

Hi all - wanted to get your thoughts on a current issue I'm facing:

Me: I'm 29yo ex-Navy, currently live and work in Arlington VA (DC Metro Area) in the IT consulting field. I'm actually the closest you can be to DC without being in DC (I can walk over the bridge and be at the monuments in 10-20 mins).

I have an opportunity opening for me in the Corona area - specifically I will have to work at the Navy base (NSWC Corona which is in Norco, CA). I have been doing extensive research about the area and possibilities.

I am not looking to entirely slow down my lifestyle, I do not need to go out with young professionals every (or every other) night of the week anymore but I do love the creature comforts and close proximity of a metropolitan area close by (great restaurants, bars/lounges, gyms, airport, etc without driving 20-30 mins). Also, I wouldn't mind hanging out around the beaches, LA, or even

So I'd like to know about:
- The AM commute on 91 EAST to Corona and then the PM commute on 91 WEST back to Anaheim. I've been exploring living in the eastern parts of Anaheim and commuting to Corona for work and then back in the PM.
- Thoughts about a young couple living in Eastern Anaheim vs. Western Corona.
- Leaving DC for the areas I've mentioned
- Other cool/interesting cities with a reasonable commute (less than 30 mins) to Corona, CA

THANKS! I'm very excited, just trying to leave no stone unturned - your responses are appreciated!

Last edited by kevin_digital; 09-17-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
You mean the Surface Warfare Center in Norco?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You mean the Surface Warfare Center in Norco?
Yessir. My apoligies - it's properly in Norco but titled "NSWC Corona".

Old 09-17-2012, 11:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
The commute will be long, but not unbearable usually. You are going opposite the really nasty traffic, but there will still be heavy traffic. You will probably need to leave an hour to be consitently timely. It might be safer to leave an hour and ten, but then you will spend a lot of time wiating when you arrive early.

East Anaheim I assume you are referring to the newer area near the stadium. It is lively during the itmes I have been there. Quite a few young people around. I am not sure, but I think I have only been there on Friday and Saturday evenings./ Not sure what the rest of the week is like. I have never seen so many hookers in one place though. Not sure whether that is the general area, or just the resturuants we went to.

If you are looking for a citylike lifestyle, you will nto find it in Orange County. Try long Beach, but that will add a least a half hour to your commute. If you lived in Anaheim, you could go to long beach for nightlife if you have someone to drive you home. Setting aside nightlife, there are a lot of neat things to do in Orange County. People tend to be more likely to go to bed early and get up early to surf, hang at the beach, bike ride, hike or simlar activities, than to stay out all night partying or clubbing.

Corona is pretty much entirely a bedroom community. Still you may have a better liifestyle if you live right near the base and eliminate your commute and then just commute to nightlife, beaches and the like. You wil find gyms, theaters, shopping, coffee houses abundant anwhere in OC and reasonably pletiful in Corona.

You might look at Yorba LInda. It is generally nicer than Anaheim and closer to Corona. Pretty much zero night life, but it is not far from what little bit Orange County has to offer.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 PM

185 posts, read 511,846 times
That's not a horrible commute by SoCal standards. Corona is a really nice place to live but it is almost 100% families. There will be a lot more for a young couple to do in Anaheim/OC. The commute going EAST in the am on 91 is not too bad, and same goes for WEST in the pm.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Cowboys Fan View Post
That's not a horrible commute by SoCal standards. Corona is a really nice place to live but it is almost 100% families. There will be a lot more for a young couple to do in Anaheim/OC. The commute going EAST in the am on 91 is not too bad, and same goes for WEST in the pm.

Thanks! How about North Tustin or somewhere right by the 241 or 261 toll roads???

Old 09-22-2012, 11:00 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_digital View Post
Thanks! How about North Tustin or somewhere right by the 241 or 261 toll roads???
I used to drive frequently from Irvine, up the 241 toll road and out the 91 to Corona in the morning. When I hit the 91, I headed south on the I-15, not north like you would be. It took me about 30 minutes to get to the 91/15 interchange from my home in Irvine right by the old MCAS Tustin. Traffic was not bad at all until right by the 91/15 interchange. If you were in Tustin it would shave off 5-7 minutes. You can check sigalert.com to see what the commute/ traffic is like up the 15N from the 91 in the a.m. and the commute back in the pm.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:30 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
I'm surprised no one has suggested Anaheim Hills? It's a very neat, well-planned and manicured community in the hills of eastern Anaheim (as the name suggests). Weir Canyon is neat for hiking. It would be a very easy commute into Norco from there.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:52 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Anaheim Hills is a great neighborhood, and it's not a bad commute at all to Corona from there. It's also not far from Old Town Orange and Downtown Fullerton where you can find good food and entertainment.

Let me know if you need help finding a place.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 AM

185 posts, read 511,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_digital View Post
There are some very nice parts of Orange just off 241 and Chapman just south of Anaheim Hills. It's out in the hills, and once again, is a family area. But not too far from the rest of the OC entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County